No return Policy but product is defective

CRHS89

So we ordered an electronic product online and it didn't work right out of the box. We can see a problem with the wires. When hubby contacted the company about returning it, he learned there was a "no return policy". I understand adhering to the policy if we had just changed our minds about wanting the product, but I feel like the policy should be waived with a product that doesn't work. Is there any recourse?

Escalade14

Go Rams!
I don't have any ideas for possible recourse, but on the other hand, that sounds like a case of the company knew the product was defective and wanted nothing more to do with it. It could possibly have been returned by someone else in the past for the same reason (defective, non-operational out of box) and was later unknowingly sent to you.

If there is possible recourse you can go through with, then I wish you the best of luck.

Edit: my possible theory on it was it was previously returned, but as you say there is no return policy though

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Stop payment on your CC or PayPal, Amazon or whatever payment service you used.

Spitfire

Greetings:

If you missed the terms of the sale in the small print before purchasing, that is unfortunate. Usually, “all sales final” or something similar means exactly that and you shouldn’t expect too much when seeking a remedy.

Contacting your credit card issuer may help, but if they see you are just trying to end around terms you missed in your sales contract, their assistance may end.

Sorry this happened. Hopefully this is a not-too-expensive lesson learned for the future.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Greetings:

If you missed the terms of the sale in the small print before purchasing, that is unfortunate. Usually, “all sales final” or something similar means exactly that and you shouldn’t expect too much when seeking a remedy.

Contacting your credit card issuer may help, but if they see you are just trying to end around terms you missed in your sales contract, their assistance may end.

Sorry this happened. Hopefully this is a not-too-expensive lesson learned for the future.
If the company is knowingly selling a defective product without disclosing said defects then I think 'caveat emptor' would not apply here and the seller should be held liable for refund. If the item was purchased through Amazon then the seller could be risking losing their ability to do business through Amazon.

Spitfire

If the company is knowingly selling a defective product without disclosing said defects then I think 'caveat emptor' would not apply here and the seller should be held liable for refund. If the item was purchased through Amazon then the seller could be risking losing their ability to do business through Amazon.

Greetings:

Indeed, and if the OP had facts to lead the reader to believe there was some retailer shenanigans going on, this would be a much different conversation.

As it is, small print not read, terms of sale not understood, a tough lesson for OP.

It sucks. None of us wants this to happen. But usually the tools for prevention are right in front of our eyes.