No Workers?

Bluecrqbe

So McDonald’s across the country, and I’m guessing other junk food chains, can’t get workers. Is this really a problem? Maybe this era of excess and really obesity is ending...shut down these troughs of excess, go make a salad.

PJay

You just want to kill everything..have you thought about joining the military so you can shoot stuff. Leave my fries alone.

Bluecrqbe

We've had a hard time getting kids with zero experience to come to work for $25/hr.
I think a lot of folks are just giving up on the whole work and capitalism thing, you see it in this forum, most folks here don’t work, or if they do they aren’t full time.
I’ve been working since I was 16, but it’s not a happy life, there has to be a better way, and with $25 an hour it doesn’t seem to be cash.

PeoplesElbow

I think a lot of folks are just giving up on the whole work and capitalism thing, you see it in this forum, most folks here don’t work, or if they do they aren’t full time.
I’ve been working since I was 16, but it’s not a happy life, there has to be a better way, and with $25 an hour it doesn’t seem to be cash.
When they live with mom and dad they can afford to just throw away a good job.

And no it's not cash, includes benefits and is a start to a decent career.

Bluecrqbe

When they live with mom and dad they can afford to just throw away a good job.

And no it's not cash, includes benefits and is a start to a decent career.
I’m sure it is, it’s decent work...but lots of young folks are staying at home. And the older ones are “retiring early”, so before 67 they are fine, good for them, but there is work to do.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

We've had a hard time getting kids with zero experience to come to work for $25/hr.
The problem is the no one can keep up with the rising costs, of everything. A feeling of what's the point when a person can't get ahead, even at $25/hour. At $1000/40hr/week, after taxes, FICA, etc, there is what left? $750, if? If someone wants to move out of their parents house, to rent, even a simple one bedroom, they're looking at $1200-$1400 a month plus utilities. Then high car insurance rates. They would have to work at a minimum, 2 1/2-3+ weeks get to have a place to live and a way to get to work. Which does not include eating and clothing and everything other normal life necessities. And if they want to buy a house? Out of the question, at least around here.

It's not your fault that you can't pay more. All that trillions of dollars magically being printed by the feds isn't making to the producers, (only to Wall Street and the speculators with no skin in the game), to pay the necessary higher wages to keep the economy running to give the people a reason, and confidence, to actually go, and want to work.

That the time to read this ...

PeoplesElbow

If I may ...

The problem is the no one can keep up with the rising costs, of everything. A feeling of what's the point when a person can't get ahead, even at $25/hour. At $1000/40hr/week, after taxes, FICA, etc, there is what left? $750, if? If someone wants to move out of their parents house, to rent, even a simple one bedroom, they're looking at $1200-$1400 a month plus utilities. Then high car insurance rates. They would have to work at a minimum, 2 1/2-3+ weeks get to have a place to live and a way to get to work. Which does not include eating and clothing and everything other normal life necessities. And if they want to buy a house? Out of the question, at least around here.

It's not your fault that you can't pay more. All that trillions of dollars magically being printed by the feds isn't making to the producers, (only to Wall Street and the speculators with no skin in the game), to pay the necessary higher wages to keep the economy running to give the people a reason, and confidence, to actually go, and want to work.

That the time to read this ...
The actual problem is they are expected to work and are fussed at when they aren't and are expected to do a bit of thinking. If they are too preoccupied with their phone they are asked to keep it in a drawer, next time its leave it in the car. When we can find older people, even with no relevant experience and start out at the same pay we dont have as many issues. At that age I would have killed to be making half that.

UglyBear

I just did a simple calculation on this — $25/hr plus benefits is an EXCELLENT start to a career, and quite comfy lifestyle, even in our area.

Pardon the math here:
$25/hr is roughly $50k/year, take home is roughly 2/3, so $33k/year ==> $2.7k/month cash.

yeah, you can’t rent on your own in our area, and that’s why if not living at home, one should always get roommates. That brings housing to less than $1k/month, very close to recommended 1/3 of take home. That leaves $1.7k/month, very decent for a single young person at the beginning of their career.

If one cooks at home and brown-bags lunch to work, drives a reliable used car like a Civic, that leaves enough to save for some luxuries and even nice vacations.
And if that is not enough to support the lifestyle they are accustomed to (courtesy of parents), well, tough titty.
@PeoplesElbow did say that was the starting pay, without experience.

UglyBear

Dang it , just remembered an even better plan for making it on that amount of money, that my friend did and I’m kicking myself for not doing:

Live with parents, while working, for two years. (I’m assuming that awesome $25/hr+benefits gig). Save up $60k (at $33k/year take-home, super tight but doable). Buy a 3 bedroom craphole for $300k, with full 20% down. Get three roommates, charge them $800/month, while yourself living in the basement or mudroom. Mortgage+utilities ~ $1.8k/ month, rent from roommates $2.4/month, equals free housing and $600/month fund for repairs. In five years, when ready to start a family and upgrade, sell and have nice 20% down for a good family home in a nicer area.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I’ve been working since I was 16, but it’s not a happy life,

I grew up on a farm....so working full time since I was a kid. But I've enjoyed my career's work immensely..wouldn't have traded it for anything.

Reactions: TPD

PeoplesElbow

I just did a simple calculation on this — $25/hr plus benefits is an EXCELLENT start to a career, and quite comfy lifestyle, even in our area.

Pardon the math here:
$25/hr is roughly $50k/year, take home is roughly 2/3, so $33k/year ==> $2.7k/month cash.

yeah, you can’t rent on your own in our area, and that’s why if not living at home, one should always get roommates. That brings housing to less than $1k/month, very close to recommended 1/3 of take home. That leaves $1.7k/month, very decent for a single young person at the beginning of their career.

If one cooks at home and brown-bags lunch to work, drives a reliable used car like a Civic, that leaves enough to save for some luxuries and even nice vacations.
And if that is not enough to support the lifestyle they are accustomed to (courtesy of parents), well, tough titty.
@PeoplesElbow did say that was the starting pay, without experience.
It is, by the time they are 30 they can be making $85k/year. The truly exceptional ones will get a gvt gig.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Dang it , just remembered an even better plan for making it on that amount of money, that my friend did and I’m kicking myself for not doing:

Live with parents, while working, for two years. (I’m assuming that awesome $25/hr+benefits gig). Save up $60k (at $33k/year take-home, super tight but doable). Buy a 3 bedroom craphole for $300k, with full 20% down. Get three roommates, charge them $800/month, while yourself living in the basement or mudroom. Mortgage+utilities ~ $1.8k/ month, rent from roommates $2.4/month, equals free housing and $600/month fund for repairs. In five years, when ready to start a family and upgrade, sell and have nice 20% down for a good family home in a nicer area.

My youngest son is living on a very nice 41' Hatteras sport fishing boat...$400/month plus electricity. Works as an engineering tech for one of the local contractors. He just turned 24...livin' large and the only roommate(s) he has are the temporary and squeezably soft kind.

He's getting his captain's license so he can run the 41 for hire..fishing charters. He already has a side business doing lawn maintenance too. Busy kid.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

So McDonald’s across the country, and I’m guessing other junk food chains, can’t get workers.

That's because selling drugs is also unskilled labor with a much bigger payoff.

UglyBear

My youngest son is living on a very nice 41' Hatteras sport fishing boat...$400/month plus electricity. Works as an engineering tech for one of the local contractors. He just turned 24...livin' large and the only roommate(s) he has are the temporary and squeezably soft kind.

He's getting his captain's license so he can run the 41 for hire..fishing charters. He already has a side business doing lawn maintenance too. Busy kid.
Sounds like a kid who knows where it’s at. Good job!

UglyBear

That's because selling drugs is also unskilled labor with a much bigger payoff.
Not to be pedantic... I think it was Freakonomics that explored it, and found that the whole drug-selling business is a very steep pyramid — the base makes barely minimum wage while carrying all the risk, and only the guy at the top makes good money. It just has more of “cool” factor for the poor inner-city kids.