No, Yellowstone isn’t about to erupt, even after more magma was found

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
A new study offers the best views yet beneath the supervolcano

More liquid magma lurks beneath the Yellowstone supervolcano than scientists once thought. But don’t panic: That amount of magma, researchers say, is still nowhere near enough to portend an eruption any time soon.

That reassurance comes courtesy of new state-of-the-art seismic images that give the sharpest picture yet of what lies beneath Yellowstone.

“It’s like getting a better lens for your camera. Things are coming into more focus,” says Michael Poland, a geophysicist who was not involved in the research. “We’re even less worried about an eruption now — and I wasn’t worried before,” adds Poland, who is the scientist-in-charge at the U.S. Geological Survey’s Yellowstone Volcano Observatory in Vancouver, Wash.

The volcano beneath Yellowstone National Park has garnered interest — and worry — because it has had some of the most explosive, dramatic eruptions in the geologic record, he says. In the last 2.1 million years alone, Yellowstone has had three catastrophic eruptions, generating continent-wide ashfalls and disrupting the global climate.

The most recent of those catastrophic outbursts was about 631,000 years ago, forming a crater about 70 kilometers across (SN: 1/2/18).

"You're worrying over nothing!" - Ludicrus ( Herculaneum 79A.D.)

Last edited:

stgislander

PREMO Member
— and I wasn’t worried before,” adds Poland, who is the scientist-in-charge at the U.S. Geological Survey’s Yellowstone Volcano Observatory in Vancouver, Wash.
Of course you are not worried. You're in Vancouver, Wash.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Cheer up! 1000 years from now it will be a super cool tourist attraction!

BOP

I think we need to make a sacrifice to whatever the volcano's god is named. Quick, let's round up some democrats!

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
I think we need to make a sacrifice to whatever the volcano's god is named. Quick, let's round up some democrats!
If it has to be virgins, look for some of those GenZ gamers.

glhs837

Power with Control
If it has to be virgins, look for some of those GenZ gamers.

I think they cant be sweaty involuntary virgins...... At least, were I a vengeful god, I wouldn't accept such......

Last edited: