Non-compete agreements

Toxick

Splat
I have no idea what section to put this under....

At my job I signed a non-compete agreement. I'm looking at another job which I think MAY POSSIBLY be a competitor, but I'm not really sure. Is there any place I can find out? I do not have access to the new company, or any of the people in it just yet - and I obviously can't ask my current employer.

Is there any way to find out if 2 companies are competitors before I find myself subjected to a lawsuit?

Grumpy

I thought that was an NDA.
They are different...an NDA is an agreement between 2 parties not to disclose proprietary info. A non-compete is 1way..controlling the employee even after he would leave the company for a certain length of time and/or a general geographic area.

Grumpy

I really have no advice on this other than talking with the prospective company and seeing if they have your back if there is a competitor angle. The big companies will fight like hell on something like this (limited experience in something like this, so take that statement with a grain of salt) where smaller companies don't have the deep pockets to pursue a lawsuit. Really comes down to how much they are threatened by the loss of a valuable employee, and you being the all powerful Toxic..well, enough said.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Non-compete/NDAs are to prevent an employee from taking or using a client list or other proprietary client-related information to directly compete against the former employer or from taking a specific skill learned from that employer. Also it would depend on the content of what was agreed to in the contract. And that would still be subject as to what is reasonable. Meaning that you cannot be forbidden from performing similar types of work that are usual in your profession, thus preventing you from working at all. Nor could any such agreement be for an extensive period of time after parting ways with your former employer.