Non-Ethanol Fuel

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Coming up on time to put some fuel in storage for the winter. Does anyone know if Murphy's in Dahlgren still sells non-ethanol fuel? Haven't been down that way in a while.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Coming up on time to put some fuel in storage for the winter. Does anyone know if Murphy's in Dahlgren still sells non-ethanol fuel? Haven't been down that way in a while.
Last time I was through that way they did. That was around June.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I buy all of mine from Sheetz and WaWa these days...been great to have it available so close without buying it at marina prices.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Thanx. I've been getting fuel at BJs, so didn't see the new pumps.

I'm thinking it's more expensive than VA, might take a ride down just to see the price difference. Hit WallyMart while I'm there.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Thanx. I've been getting fuel at BJs, so didn't see the new pumps.

I'm thinking it's more expensive than VA, might take a ride down just to see the price difference. Hit WallyMart while I'm there.
I just got back from a trip through VA...I was rather surprised to see that prices there are about exact same as here in MD now. ?? I didn't look for Non-E prices though.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
I just got back from a trip through VA...I was rather surprised to see that prices there are about exact same as here in MD now. ?? I didn't look for Non-E prices though.
The Speedway I fueled up at in NC this past weekend was selling regular for 2.78.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The Speedway I fueled up at in NC this past weekend was selling regular for 2.78.
When I headed to WV the other day, regular was $2.99 at both Callaway stations. After I got through Dahlgren and farther in to VA, I saw prices like $3.19..$3.29. I remember not long ago, VA gas prices were always .30-.50 less than here.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Gas Buddy is showing Murphy's as $2.88 right now for regular. But I never trust those postings as absolute.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Had to run out anyway, so stopped and looked at WaWa and Sheetz. Now I know why I didn't see the non-Ethanol pumps; it's only at a handful of pumps and easy to miss. had to search for the one at WaWa. But at these prices, I think a road trip to VA is in order, just to compare.
Sheetz
20240925_114346.jpg

WaWa
20240925_113852.jpg

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Isn't there a gas app that gives prices and locations? I can't remember the name of it.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Isn't there a gas app that gives prices and locations? I can't remember the name of it.
There's a few like Gas Buddy (web site), but they aren't always right. They depend on people seeing and posting current prices, so it could be out of date. Not aware of one that updates dynamically from actual pump prices.

marlboroman

out on the range
Had to run out anyway, so stopped and looked at WaWa and Sheetz. Now I know why I didn't see the non-Ethanol pumps; it's only at a handful of pumps and easy to miss. had to search for the one at WaWa. But at these prices, I think a road trip to VA is in order, just to compare.
Sheetz
View attachment 179640

WaWa
View attachment 179641
If you do go to VA for a comparison let us know what the Octane rating is down there.
Thanks!
Ridgell oil in Oakville also sells ethanol free. (or at least used too)

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
If you do go to VA for a comparison let us know what the Octane rating is down there.
Thanks!
Ridgell oil in Oakville also sells ethanol free. (or at least used too)
Theirs was either 92 or 93 if I remember correctly. Fastop in Solomons sells non-e gas as well. I think theirs is 89.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Had nothing better to do today, so ran down to Dahlgren. Ok, didn't run, took the truck....

Just did a little looking to see what average prices were and if they carried non-E fuel.
Sheetz just over the bridge does not have non-E fuel. Regular was $3.09.
Sunoco on the MD side just before the bridge was $2.99. Didn't stop to look for non-E.
Sunoco on the VA side was $3.15, again, did not look for non-E.
Locally, BJs does not have non-E fuel, but does carry E-85 at $3.01.
WaWa
20240925_142249.jpg

Murphy's
20240925_135209.jpg

So, I plan on buying 30 gallons.
WaWa 89 octane @ $3.79/g x 30 = $113.70.
Murphy's 87octane (lowest of all) @ $3.58 x 30 = $107.40

Local WaWa 89 octane @ $4.29 x 30 = $128.70
Local Sheetz 90 octane @ $4.19 x 30 = $125.70

Apples to Apples, Local WaWa $128.70 - VA WaWa $113.70 = $15 difference.
Apples to Oranges, Local Sheetz $125.70 - VA Murphy's $107.40 = $18.30 difference.

Add in 80 miles roundtrip @ 20mpg average = 4 gallons x VA Murphy's @ $2.88/g = $11.52 (assume fillup while in VA).
Savings - between $3.50 and $6.80, not including wear/tear and time.

Conclusion - If you happen to be going that way, yeah, do it. If you're not passing thru VA, buy local at a better octane rating.
Cost of analysis - 4 gallons @ $3.20/g (BJs) = $12.80

One thing I did notice in VA (and failed to look for locally) was that the non-E fuel had it's own hose and nozzle not shared with other fuels. No "contamination" with other fuel.

:nerd:

marlboroman

out on the range
Had nothing better to do today, so ran down to Dahlgren. Ok, didn't run, took the truck....

Just did a little looking to see what average prices were and if they carried non-E fuel.
Sheetz just over the bridge does not have non-E fuel. Regular was $3.09.
Sunoco on the MD side just before the bridge was $2.99. Didn't stop to look for non-E.
Sunoco on the VA side was $3.15, again, did not look for non-E.
Locally, BJs does not have non-E fuel, but does carry E-85 at $3.01.
WaWa
View attachment 179649

Murphy's
View attachment 179650

So, I plan on buying 30 gallons.
WaWa 89 octane @ $3.79/g x 30 = $113.70.
Murphy's 87octane (lowest of all) @ $3.58 x 30 = $107.40

Local WaWa 89 octane @ $4.29 x 30 = $128.70
Local Sheetz 90 octane @ $4.19 x 30 = $125.70

Apples to Apples, Local WaWa $128.70 - VA WaWa $113.70 = $15 difference.
Apples to Oranges, Local Sheetz $125.70 - VA Murphy's $107.40 = $18.30 difference.

Add in 80 miles roundtrip @ 20mpg average = 4 gallons x VA Murphy's @ $2.88/g = $11.52 (assume fillup while in VA).
Savings - between $3.50 and $6.80, not including wear/tear and time.

Conclusion - If you happen to be going that way, yeah, do it. If you're not passing thru VA, buy local at a better octane rating.
Cost of analysis - 4 gallons @ $3.20/g (BJs) = $12.80

One thing I did notice in VA (and failed to look for locally) was that the non-E fuel had it's own hose and nozzle not shared with other fuels. No "contamination" with other fuel.

:nerd:
Thanks Sneakers!

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Not really ethanol related, but I stopped at the Shell station in Hollywood (old BubbaMart) to check the price of K1 kero.

:yikes:

$7.99/g. I used to buy 10 gallons with a roll of dimes from pocket change. Gotta see if my heater will use #2.