Non perishable food items?

Makavide

Not too talkative
You see this term on food drives, especially this time of year and such.

And I do realize that the term "Non perishable food items" normally refers to food items that are not refriderator/freezer required.

However, what about the "best used before date".

Recently I was helping with a food drive and a good 1/4th of the canned goods donated had "expired" dates. A couple of cans had 2005 dates.

I realize food drives are a great way to clean out the pantry of those food items no one really likes, but are bought anyway - but really, donating 8 year old cans?

So how long do you keep food in your pantry, before you toss it out?

FED_UP

You see this term on food drives, especially this time of year and such.

And I do realize that the term "Non perishable food items" normally refers to food items that are not refriderator/freezer required.

However, what about the "best used before date".

Recently I was helping with a food drive and a good 1/4th of the canned goods donated had "expired" dates. A couple of cans had 2005 dates.

I realize food drives are a great way to clean out the pantry of those food items no one really likes, but are bought anyway - but really, donating 8 year old cans?

So how long do you keep food in your pantry, before you toss it out?

I don't keep stocks and stocks of food, but I thougth the question was interesting and I found this.

Canned food, in particular, can stay safe for a really long time. In 1974, scientists at the National Food Processors Association in Washington, D.C., got their hands on several old cans of food.
Janet Dudek, now semi-retired and living in Vienna, Va., was among the scientists who analyzed this old food. Her assignment was a can of corn, vintage 1934, that was found in someone's basement in California.
When they opened the can, Dudek says, the contents looked and smelled pretty much like ordinary canned corn. Analysis showed that it had most of the usual complement of nutrients — although there were lower levels of a few, such as vitamin C.
Results were similar for century-old canned oysters, tomatoes and red peppers in cans recovered from a sunken steamboat, buried in river silt near Omaha, Neb.
Dudek says, as far as she knows, nobody actually tasted this food. That just wasn't done, she says. But they probably could have. "It would have been safe to eat if the can itself maintained its integrity," she says.
When food in supermarkets passes its sell-by date, though, it gets swept off the shelves. Often, it's donated to food banks. Sometimes it's auctioned off.
But if you discover such food in your pantry at home, there's really no reason to throw it out. Ruff says you should just sniff the meat and milk. If it smells funny, go ahead and toss it.
But for most foods, don't worry. "As a consumer, I've certainly opened packages of food that were five years old."
Don't Fear That Expired Food : The Salt : NPR

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
At a summer camp in the 70s they fed us surplus government peanut butter. It was canned during WWII and had dates in the 40s. We didn't seem to suffer any ill affects from it.