Norse pagan beard allowed for National Guardsman; soldier says faith honors 'warrior lifestyle'

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Norse pagan troops across the military can rejoice — a member of the Nevada Army National Guard has been granted a religious waiver to grow a warrior-like beard.

Sgt. 1st Class Benjamin Hopper successfully cited Army regulations on his way to sporting a “skegg” during his deployment to Afghanistan.

The explosive ordnance disposal technician was interviewed by a chaplain who vouched for his sincerity.

The VA National Cemetery Administration website also states that the Hammer of Thor may be also placed on government headstones and markers of Norse pagan soldiers.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
The pastafarians are certainly excited about this change.

1024px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
As one who has followed a Norse Pagan religion (normally called heathenry or Asatru) since July 1988, I call BS on this. There is absolutely nothing in what we base our beliefs and practices on, which requires a beard. It is not in the historic record, nor in the mythology. Heck, there have been quite a few finds of razors as grave goods.

I wear a beard because I do not like shaving.

Quite a few folks on heathen discussion groups calling this fellow an idiot and an impediment to our being taken, if not seriously, then as sincere.

officeguy

As one who has followed a Norse Pagan religion (normally called heathenry or Asatru) since July 1988, I call BS on this. There is absolutely nothing in what we base our beliefs and practices on, which requires a beard. It is not in the historic record, nor in the mythology. Heck, there have been quite a few finds of razors as grave goods.

You are right. He should have insisted on a horned helmet.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

I wear a beard because I do not like shaving.

Quite a few folks on heathen discussion groups calling this fellow an idiot and an impediment to our being taken, if not seriously, then as sincere.
Maybe he's in a different sect, maybe it's a personal sect.

stgislander

PREMO Member
The USCG was probably the last branch to ditch the beard, following the Navy's lead as it is prone to do. (I knew a handful of Warrants and Chiefs that retired early rather than shave off their beards.) I have to say that there was never an issue with bad OBA mask seals as long as beards were groomed to service standards.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
The USCG was probably the last branch to ditch the beard, following the Navy's lead as it is prone to do. (I knew a handful of Warrants and Chiefs that retired early rather than shave off their beards.) I have to say that there was never an issue with bad OBA mask seals as long as beards were groomed to service standards.
There were a lot of ugly people showing up for work when the navy got rid of beards. some of those people hadn't shaved in 20 years and didn't have a real good handle on how to do it.

black dog

Free America
There were a lot of ugly people showing up for work when the navy got rid of beards. some of those people hadn't shaved in 20 years and didn't have a real good handle on how to do it.

I have been doing loads of work lately in a canning factory, with that you have to wear a hairnet and a beard net if you have a mustache or a beard.
I grew tired quickly of having this wet net on my face so I shaved off 40+ years of the same big mustache. I shave in the shower with no mirror.
I now shave in front of the sink because of the ball busting I was getting over wtf shaved you this morning...

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Maybe he's in a different sect, maybe it's a personal sect.
There's a lot of that in the New Religions Movement that started in the late 60's, which does include the modern reconstruction/recreation of the pre-Christian European religions.

WingsOfGold

Depending on what era these "service standards" were in. During the Zgram era beards were ungodly long, like 8 - 10 inches long, OBAa would NOT work with them nor would aviator's O2 or smoke mask. Didn't they ditch OBAs many years ago for tanks or something else because of unreliability?

stgislander

PREMO Member
Depending on what era these "service standards" were in. During the Zgram era beards were ungodly long, like 8 - 10 inches long, OBAa would NOT work with them nor would aviator's O2 or smoke mask. Didn't they ditch OBAs many years ago for tanks or something else because of unreliability?
I was on active duty from '80 to '84. Must have been a Navy thing.

WingsOfGold

I was on active duty from '80 to '84. Must have been a Navy thing.
Zgrams were when Zumwalt was CNO 70 - 73, radical changes for the times beards, sideburns, civies on liberty and NO freshly painted spaces for his inspections, clean was fine. Not responsible for puddle pirates not knowing the Bigs. ;)

Auntie Biache'

I remember the long beards. Worked with a fella' who had one. Grumpy old salt-real Navy.