Northern Lights in SOMD.........

mudpuddle

Well, if we are not able to see them, at least my daughter who lives by Baltimore may be able to see them. I just let her know!

limblips

PREMO Member
I hope we get to see them but having been stationed in Iceland and growing up in northern Adirondacks I have witnessed the beauty many times. If we see them they will probably not be as awesome as they are further north. If you are financially able and have a desire to travel, book a trip to Reykjavik. The Aurora Borealis is the winter/spring time for best viewing but the country has unbelievable sights and scenery year around. The people are friendly and they are mostly bilingual. If only my wife would fly...….

limblips

PREMO Member
Fixed for you.
Yep, been there too but much easier and cheaper to go to Reykjavik. When I was stationed there I drove the entire island in a VW Beetle with a tent, sleeping bag, lantern, fishing gear and food from the commissary. I did it in late July so I had daylight 23 hours. JO-4614 plate. Long trip but incredible scenery and people. When I told them I what I was doing, they offered lodging, food, and told me who to see at the next stop. A little scary because if you break down in some places you may be there a long time! My greatest memory of a 20+ year career.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
When I was stationed there I drove the entire island ...
I spent a year at Hofn in '77-'78, got a three day R&R up there to ski (yeah right) drink. And then another 36 weeks at Kef from '83-'86 when flying.

limblips

PREMO Member
I spent a year at Hofn in '77-'78, got a three day R&R up there to ski (yeah right) drink. And then another 36 weeks at Kef from '83-'86 when flying.
Was in Kef from March 75 to May 78. Navy. Did some repair work on avionics for the AF Connies. They gave me my one and only Connie flight, great ride.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Was in Kef from March 75 to May 78. Navy. Did some repair work on avionics for the AF Connies. They gave me my one and only Connie flight, great ride.
I avoided the Connies, flew the E-3 later on, was at H-3 radar site. During 77-78 only got to Kef for in/out processing, mid-tour leave in/out, and a 6 day TDY to the hospital (actually only 1 day at the hospital but had to wait on transport). If you were ever at the Mess we probably bumped shoulders. :buddies:

limblips

PREMO Member
I avoided the Connies, flew the E-3 later on, was at H-3 radar site. During 77-78 only got to Kef for in/out processing, mid-tour leave in/out, and a 6 day TDY to the hospital (actually only 1 day at the hospital but had to wait on transport). If you were ever at the Mess we probably bumped shoulders. :buddies:
Shortly after my Connie ride one was taxiing out and had a main gear collapse right next to out hangar. All got out but she burned up badly when a fuel tank ruptured. We watched her burn. I quickly became less fond of another Connie ride. https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19780315-0