Not Allowed to Back Up

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Just had an interesting talk with my pest control guy. He was here for the bi-monthly treatment, but for some reason parked on the road instead of pulling into the driveway, like they've been doing for years and years. It's a really bad piece of road, so I suggested he pull in rather than leave the truck out there. He said the company has a policy that discourages backup up, and actively monitor if they've done so, and apparently get a reprimand.

1666970877934.gif
Huh?

I can't imagine a company having a policy like that. It's just dumb. When I queried him on it, he wouldn't go into any detail, just said it was a company policy.

I think he's full of shist.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Just had an interesting talk with my pest control guy. He was here for the bi-monthly treatment, but for some reason parked on the road instead of pulling into the driveway, like they've been doing for years and years. It's a really bad piece of road, so I suggested he pull in rather than leave the truck out there. He said the company has a policy that discourages backup up, and actively monitor if they've done so, and apparently get a reprimand.

View attachment 166953 Huh?

I can't imagine a company having a policy like that. It's just dumb. When I queried him on it, he wouldn't go into any detail, just said it was a company policy.

I think he's full of shist.
Probably a policy for just him... after he backed up over the second pedestrian.

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
One of the techs at my company said they were told to drive 5 mph under the speed limit. I asked why and he shrugged and said one of the managers said it was new safety policy. They all have GPS on the vehicles so management will know if they do.

I asked him what do you do if you're in a parking lot where the speed limit is 5 mph, call a tow truck? I think I gave him an idea.

P.S. Backing is strongly discouraged too.

glhs837

Power with Control
Nope, i see it clearly, a company terrified of the lawsuit for backing over a kids, let alone the social media backlash could wipe out a company.

This is a matter of UPS policy, which discourages drivers from backing up as much as possible. A little backing up is bad enough, and long back ups are especially frowned upon, according to drivers posting their own experiences on the Brown Cafe message board. The reason for this anti-back up agenda, according to NPR, is safety-related. As you've probably noticed, whether from the time your parent backed up into the mailbox, or the time you backed up into your favorite tree, reversing a vehicle often causes accidents. And lest you think that you can convince your UPS driver to back up on your driveway via your unbeatable charm, think again. Since the driver's vehicle tracks their every move, their superiors will come down hard on them anytime the computer records them as going into reverse.

As explained by a truck driver interviewed by NPR, "They know exactly how many times you back up and where you're backing up. And they also know the distance. They know how far you're backing and the speed that you're backing at."

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
UPS I could see, lots of huge blind spots on those vans, but these are little mini-pickups, smaller than my GMC.

rio

Well they have no choice but to either back into or out of my driveway. Depending on how many cars are home and where they parked it's a long way to back up. Delivery drivers hate my road and the driveways on it. Amazon and Fed Ex usually need pulled out of a ditch or the mud about once a month. UPS seems to have the best drivers even with having the bigger trucks. Have never in 20 years had a problem with them on our road.

glhs837

Power with Control
Well they have no choice but to either back into or out of my driveway. Depending on how many cars are home and where they parked it's a long way to back up. Delivery drivers hate my road and the driveways on it. Amazon and Fed Ex usually need pulled out of a ditch or the mud about once a month. UPS seems to have the best drivers even with having the bigger trucks. Have never in 20 years had a problem with them on our road.

Lots of new drivers lately. My driveway is a large semicircle, but you cant know that when you pull in. I generally move the jppe and tell them to drive around and out. But one time a couple years back I wasnt home and the driver tried to cut his 30 box truck back around a 60 degree turn to a downhill part that leads to the lower level garage. He ended up with one rear wheel in space hangin over the woods and the other stuck, not moving since of course Transit vans dont have lsd. luck for him my 30 foot tow strap and 4low on the cherokee were enough to get him up and out.

If a trucker delivering fuel to the aircraft ever puts the truck in reverse, he'll be immediately fired on the spot.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
So for all the #### they put them through for a commercial drivers license, they're not allowed to actually be drivers?

:rolleyes:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
One of the techs at my company said they were told to drive 5 mph under the speed limit. I asked why and he shrugged and said one of the managers said it was new safety policy. They all have GPS on the vehicles so management will know if they do.

I asked him what do you do if you're in a parking lot where the speed limit is 5 mph, call a tow truck? I think I gave him an idea.

P.S. Backing is strongly discouraged too.
GPS trackers are easy to defeat, and cheaply. Though you may want to stay away from airports if you do.

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
GPS trackers are easy to defeat, and cheaply. Though you may want to stay away from airports if you do.
The drawback is that tampering with the GPS is automatic termination.

He might as well back up and down Three Notch Rd @ 80 mph. At least he could get famous on Southern Maryland Bad Drivers!:yay:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The UPS driver has two choices at our shop. Pull in to the shop and then back out, or pull past the shop driveway and back in. If they have a lot of heavy items, they really need to violate the backing up rule to get close to the shop receiving area. Our drivers have commented on getting reprimands over the years for doing exactly that..