not sure why

mistymoofwf

live to ride
i have 2 horses a tb gelding and a paint mare, they just got their feet done about 4 weeks ago, my mares feet are still in great shape but my geldings feet are all cracked and getting long, im getting the farrier out to do his feet, but hes 3 weeks ahead of his next skedual. why is it that his feet are growing like this? for 7years hes never been ahead of skedual befor. not like this at least.:confused:

W

White Buddah

Who wants to be the first to crach their computer by using spell check on this one??
1, 2, 3 NOT IT

W

WhoCares

My guy has to get his feet done every 4 or 5 weeks in the summer. He is getting his done on Saturday afternoon.

Robin

This has been a very un-usual year for horses hooves at my place to. every 8 weeks winter schedule and 6 weeks summer. This year however, I have the farrier every 4-5 weeks depending when he can fit our farm in. Two weeks after they were done it looked as though they weren't done, they grew longer in a shorter time. The mare with all fours is sitting evenly higher than normal. ???? They definitly haven't been getting any green pastures.

W

White Buddah

happyappygirl said:
OMGAWD if that ain't the pot calling the kettle BLACK :killingme
You're right. One word misspelled definitely constitutes a response like that. I shood have payed more atteshun in skool when speling clas wus skeduald.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
White Buddah said:
You're right. One word misspelled definitely constitutes a response like that. I shood have payed more atteshun in skool when speling clas wus skeduald.
I think what goes around comes around. :lol:

Those in glass houses...
i'm sure you know the rest of that saying.

And in response to the question...it's fly stomping season. All that stomping plus the dry weather makes the the hoofwall and attached sole of the toe migrate forward of its normal position realtive to the coffin bone, giving the appearance of being longer.

If you take a rasp to the edges, and bullnose (snub) them (ie: round them off slightly upwards towards the coronet band) just slightly, the breakover point won't be hitting the ground when they stomp and they won't chip so badly. This also works if you'll be riding on rocky ground to prevent chips and splits. This is only for in between farrier appointments, and only a SMALL amount is rounded off. Never cut the toes just rasp them rounded in the shape of the hoof....any cutting is for a professional to do.

Last edited:

DQ2B

You can't "squash" a horse into a set trimming schedule, as convienient as that may be. If they are longer than your other horse then maybe the farrier simply did not trim them as short as that horse or something in the environment has caused the hoof to grow at a faster rate. Have you been riding this horse more or on a different terrain, changed his diet or anything else? Those could be just a few reasons for the growth as well. Anyway, if they need trimming, so be it. Better to trim when needed than wait for the sake of a 6-8 week interval.

W

White Buddah

Same goes for those who live in caves shouldn't throw dynamite

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Mine are on a 4 week schedule now..they are due tomorrow and I cant look at their feet one more day...better go to more often..

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
Robin said:
I go with as often as they need trimmed and shod. not the wallet.

:yeahthat:

Sometimes mine need trimmin'/ shaping every two weeks in the spring. Sometimes every 4. Winter it seems 6 weeks is the longest they go.

Last edited:

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
Four*Leaf*Farm said:
:yeahthat:

Sometimes mine need trimmin'/ shaping every two weeks in the spring. Sometimes every 4. Winter it seems 6 weeks is the longest they go.
Not to change the subject....but....I clicked on your website and your art work is amazing. I am sooooo impressed.