Notre Dame In Paris On Fire (Huge)

glhs837

Power with Control
The Navy guys wil relate to this. Any time hot work was done on the ship, fire fighters(with necessary gear) were right there in case things went sideways. You would think renovating a wooden structure would have the same safeguards in place.

Not a P-3 Navy guy :) "Hot work" was firing up the grill after a long arduous day boring holes in the sky hunitng subs or drug runners....... :)

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Wouldn't it be "horrible x 2" if this was an act of terrorism/mischief masquerading as an accident?

If this is what turned out to be the case (don't think so, yet), would the French police even release such info? Better to let everyone think it was an accident?

Yes, just musing. Yes, just indulging the small part of my brain dedicated to conspiracy theory.

--- End of line (MCP)

I feel sorry for the bell ringer. He's out of a job. Won't be easy to get another job with his handicap.

(yes, I jest, but feel badly for Notre Dame)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yes, just musing. Yes, just indulging the small part of my brain dedicated to conspiracy theory.

I'm not sure why people say it's a "conspiracy theory" to think this might have been an act of terrorism. Frankly, it's more likely to be terrorism than to be that the French left an historical icon filled with priceless and irreplaceable artifacts unprotected from such an event. In the US we protect our grocery stores better than that.

SamSpade

I'm not sure why people say it's a "conspiracy theory" to think this might have been an act of terrorism. Frankly, it's more likely to be terrorism than to be that the French left an historical icon filled with priceless and irreplaceable artifacts unprotected from such an event. In the US we protect our grocery stores better than that.

ISIS tried to destroy Notre Dame just a few years ago.

Yooper

I'm not sure why people say it's a "conspiracy theory" to think this might have been an act of terrorism.
I should have been clearer what I meant. I am not discounting that it could have been terrorism (I like your train of thought, btw). What I was referring to is if the French police would admit to what was originally reported as an accident was eventually proved as terrorism. Given the level of French-Muslim tension I'm not so sure.

--- End of line (MCP)

Yooper

Not a P-3 Navy guy :) "Hot work" was firing up the grill after a long arduous day boring holes in the sky hunitng subs or drug runners....... :)
I heard long ago that the commode on a P-3 was nothing more than a 5-gal Lowe's bucket.... Rumor...?

--- End of line (MCP)

BernieP

Resident PIA
Based on the pictures I've seen, it looks like work was being done on the roof. Not sure what material it was made of but no amount of smoke alarms or sprinklers would help if it did start on the exterior of the building.
yes, they were working on renovations.
How many conflicts, including the German occupation of Paris, has that building been witness to?
Now it's brought down by a simple fire. Devasting. Histroy lost in a flash.

Chris0nllyn

yes, they were working on renovations.
How many conflicts, including the German occupation of Paris, has that building been witness to?
Now it's brought down by a simple fire. Devasting. Histroy lost in a flash.

It has caught on fire multiple times over the years.

Hijinx

Church's are really hard to put out once they start.
Varnished wood and stacked to burn. Plenty of air to keep it going.
I doubt there were sprinklers, and if there weren sprinklers are always aimed below the roof, not toward it.

Certainly this is a terrible loss. It will take years and years to repair it if the walls are sound, and many of the pictures and paintings are irreplaceable.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

So this is what centuries old wood looks like when it's burning? Uh oh. Centuries old carbon released into the atmosphere. Now we can blame France for "Global Warming". As an aside, I sure hope that they photographically documented every little bit of that structure, glass, etc., so when it comes time to "rebuild", they get it correct.

Reactions: BOP

Yooper

If I may ...

I sure hope that they photographically documented every little bit of that structure, glass, etc., so when it comes time to "rebuild", they get it correct.
The stained glass alone will be a monumental expense (time, finances, etc.).

So, so devastating. So, so devastated.

Je suis Notre-Dame de Paris. As it were.

If I may ...

So this is what centuries old wood looks like when it's burning? Uh oh. Centuries old carbon released into the atmosphere. Now we can blame France for "Global Warming".
But you know who will blame Trump. Quick, check the White House schedule....

---- End of line (MCP)

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I feel sorry for the bell ringer. He's out of a job. Won't be easy to get another job with his handicap.

(yes, I jest, but feel badly for Notre Dame)
Maybe he can find another job that is quasi the same...

Yooper

Maybe he can find another job that is quasi the same...

--- End of line (MCP)

glhs837

Power with Control
I heard long ago that the commode on a P-3 was nothing more than a 5-gal Lowe's bucket.... Rumor...?

--- End of line (MCP)

Well, the actual receptacle the solid waste ended up in was indeed a maybe 3 gallon metal pail. Above that was the infamous $640 "toilet seat", which in reality was a custom molded Fiberglas piece that stretched three feet from wall to wall and curved over and went down about 20 inches to floor. That was what the $10 regular toilet seat bolted to.

And the clean little secret is that it was very rarely used. In 20 years and almost 5,000 flight hours, I saw it used twice. It was a pretty huge crew foul to do so. I never did.