Notre Dame In Paris On Fire (Huge)

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Looks absolutely devastating.
You ain't kidding. I was an architecture student/wannabe back in HS & college and one of the cathedrals I studied (along with Chartres) was this one. So one of the reasons it's near and dear to my heart.

Supposedly accidental from work going on.
I can't decide which would be worse: accidental or malicious.

Regardless, I'm soul-stomped.

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Surely that building had smoke alarms, monitors, and sprinklers to protect it because not only is it an historic icon filled with priceless objects, it is old and combustible.

I'll bet money this was a terrorist attack.

terbear1225

I imagine the pews, the tapestries, the oil-based paint....

#SoulStomped.

--- End of line (MCP)
Based on the pictures I've seen, it looks like work was being done on the roof. Not sure what material it was made of but no amount of smoke alarms or sprinklers would help if it did start on the exterior of the building.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Based on the pictures I've seen, it looks like work was being done on the roof. Not sure what material it was made of but no amount of smoke alarms or sprinklers would help if it did start on the exterior of the building.
If I remember correctly, the roof is clay tiled/slate sort of stuff. Could be wrong; long time since I was read-up on Notre Dame.

--- End of line (MCP)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Somebody would have seen it before it got out of control.

This was a malicious act, not an accident.

Chris0nllyn

Surely that building had smoke alarms, monitors, and sprinklers to protect it because not only is it an historic icon filled with priceless objects, it is old and combustible.

I'll bet money this was a terrorist attack.

It's a 12th Century, massive, mainly-stone, structure. It didn't have sprinklers.

It's been crumbling for some time and is the process of an almost $7 million renovation. The more likely scenario is a work accident that set off the blaze in the roof area (the only wooden parts).

If I remember correctly, the roof is clay tiled/slate sort of stuff. Could be wrong; long time since I was read-up on Notre Dame.

--- End of line (MCP)

The roof is lead-covered wood.

The steeple just collapsed about 30 min ago.

glhs837

Power with Control
Nah, could be an attack, but not a lock by any means. Old buildings are firetraps, no matter how much mitigation you might add. Appears that it broke out in the area where roofers were working. Hot tar, torches for same.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Most Americans won't appreciate the significance of this because if you say Notre Dame to them, they think "Fighting Irish". But if this is indeed an attack, as I suspect, this is their 9/11.
I'm going to say I doubt it, but it doesn't mean that one group or another is going to try to claim it anyways.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
The Navy guys wil relate to this. Any time hot work was done on the ship, fire fighters(with necessary gear) were right there in case things went sideways. You would think renovating a wooden structure would have the same safeguards in place.