Notre Dame In Paris On Fire (Huge)

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
And the clean little secret is that it was very rarely used. In 20 years and almost 5,000 flight hours, I saw it used twice. It was a pretty huge crew foul to do so. I never did.
I heard that not only was it a crew foul, the fine was pretty steep. But my info is from a P-3-er almost 30 years ago. Thought maybe times had changed and that P-3 crews were now kinder and gentler.

--- End of line (MCP)

Yooper

Maybe flying water tankers or at least helicopter water drops may not have been a bad idea.
For all the crap Trump's been getting about that tweeted suggestion he just may be proved correct. Or, at least, not wrong.

--- End of line (MCP)

They just said on the news that an aerial water drop would have caved in and destroyed much of the roof.

limblips

PREMO Member
800 year old wood burns nicely. It could be any of a number of causes but given the damage I doubt they will determine a definitive cause unless accelerants were used. It was a remarkable piece of architecture and home to irreplaceable artworks. Sad.

Yooper

This was a malicious act, not an accident.

Jesus Christ you are an idiot.
Sorry, but not a good take. Given the rash of church attacks across France over the last bit* there may be something to this. Not necessarily terrorism, but the possibility this was a malicious act must certainly be - I would think - a top consideration for the French investigators.

The post-incident AAR is going to be brutal. Regardless of whether accident or malice.

Much to my heartbreak, I fear the cathedral is lost. The Kaiser Wilhelm Kirche in Berlin may now have a sorrowful companion....

* Link: "CATHOLIC CHURCHES ARE BEING DESECRATED ACROSS FRANCE—AND OFFICIALS DON’T KNOW WHY"
From the linked article:
France has seen a spate of attacks against Catholic churches since the start of the year, vandalism that has included arson and desecration.
(Emphasis mine)

--- End of line (MCP)

glhs837

Power with Control
I heard that not only was it a crew foul, the fine was pretty steep. But my info is from a P-3-er almost 30 years ago. Thought maybe times had changed and that P-3 crews were now kinder and gentler.

--- End of line (MCP)

Nope, I stopped flying back in 2003, but professionally I interact with much more recent aircrew, and nothing has changed. Matter of fact, had an active duty LT on our team just a year ago who had a patch that said "P-3 Girls Pee Standing Up!"

TPD

the poor dad
Me visiting the cathedral July 2010. My third visit since 1984. My first visit in 1984 was on Easter Sunday. Just wow is all I can say.

Yooper

They were lackadaisically fighting it for an hour before it really caught on and went out of control.
Wow. If that's true it will both reinforce the French national stereotype and be a mistake the scale of which is a crime against humanity. Like the ISIS "cleansers" who blew up all the old archaeological sites in Iraq/Syria or the Taliban in Afghanistan (if I recall correctly?).

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
They're saying "We will rebuild and restore it."

:grindsteeth:

You can't rebuild and restore that architecture and history. Nobody even does that kind of work anymore, and even if they did the cost would be monumental. The priceless antiques and artwork can never be replaced. I admire their spirit but they'd be better off putting that passion toward finding out who did this and breaking out the guillotine.

Reactions: BOP

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It may be. The early news said the firefighters were very slow getting there.

I heard that on the news, too, that the firefighters were taking their sweet time.

I'm curious if their fire people are Parisians. Or even French.