Nov 15 is the Last Day to Fertilize your Lawn

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
November 15 Is the Last Day Homeowners May Apply Fertilizer to Lawns This Year

The Maryland Department of Agriculture (MDA) reminds citizens that November 15 is the last day they may fertilize lawns under Maryland’s newly enacted Lawn Fertilizer Law. Lawn care professionals have until December 1, provided they use specially formulated products that reduce the risk of nutrient runoff into streams, rivers and the Chesapeake Bay. Both citizens and lawn care pros may resume lawn fertilizer applications March 1, as long as the ground is not frozen or heavy rain is not predicted.

“To help protect the Bay from nutrient runoff, Maryland farmers are prohibited from applying commercial fertilizer products to their fields in winter and new regulations banning winter applications of manure and other organic nutrient sources are currently being phased in,” said Maryland Agriculture Secretary Buddy Hance. “With some estimates placing Maryland’s grass crop at close to 1 million acres, it’s important that homeowners and lawn care pros join farmers in protecting water resources from nutrient runoff.”

Maryland’s lawn fertilizer law became effective October 1, 2013 and includes new requirements for fertilizer manufacturers, homeowners and lawn care professionals. Under the law, lawn fertilizer products sold in Maryland no longer contain phosphorus with certain exceptions for specially labeled starter fertilizer and organic fertilizer products. Label directions on fertilizer bags are written to ensure that no more than 0.9 pound of total nitrogen is applied per 1,000 square feet with part of this nitrogen in a slow release form. Environmental use statements are printed on these products to further ensure proper application.

Additionally, the law requires lawn care professionals to be licensed and certified by MDA to apply fertilizer to the properties they manage. MDA maintains a list of certified lawn care professionals on its website at www.mda.maryland.gov/fertilizer. The law requires both homeowners and lawn care pros to follow best management practices when fertilizing lawns.

Lawn fertilizer products containing nitrogen or phosphorus CANNOT:

• Be applied by homeowners between November 16 and March 1

• Be applied by lawn care pros between December 1 and March 1. From November 16 through December 1, only water soluble nitrogen (not slow release) may be applied to lawns at a maximum rate of one half-pound per 1,000 square feet

• Be applied to lawns when the ground is frozen or if heavy rain is predicted

• Be used to de-ice walkways and driveways

• Be applied within 15 feet of streams or other waterways. This setback is reduced to 10 feet if a drop spreader, rotary spreader with deflector or targeted spray liquid is used.

For more information, visit www.mda.maryland/fertilizer.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I suppose our taxes money will be hiring state employes to drive around in 4x4's on Fertilizer patrol ?

:buddies:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I shall advise my dog that, as a citizen of MD, he must not poop again until March 1st (and then, only if the weather is just right). I'll also give him the phone number for the State environmental folks.

I shall also inform my cat that she must now empty her own litterbox, and confine that activity to night time hours to avoid detection. Since she's a female, telling her she can't poop could result in quite a bit of property damage as soon as my back is turned.

Last edited:
C

czygvtwkr

Guess Im going to buy my fertilizer in VA to apply on thanksgiving day.

mamatutu

mama to two
I shall advise my dog that, as a citizen of MD, he must not poop again until March 1st (and then, only if the weather is just right). I'll also give him the phone number for the State environmental folks.

I shall also inform my cat that she must now empty her own litterbox, and confine that activity to night time hours to avoid detection. Since she's a female, telling her she can't poop could result in quite a bit of property damage as soon as my back is turned.

I know they are trying to prevent the bad stuff from getting into the ecosystem, but regulations will never really prevent that, and there are always the non compliers.

You are very funny, RR, and have a very active imagination, which is wonderful and entertaining. :killingme