Now let's think about this:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
$1 BILLION to Ukraine

That's our money, btw, being sent to some foreign country.

What do you suppose we could do for Americans with $1 BILLION!!! ?

And that's just to Ukraine. That doesn't count the money - OUR MONEY - that gets hemorrhaged around the world.

Reactions: BOP

limblips

PREMO Member
Maybe we should elect Biden. He said unless you fire the prosecutor you don't get the billion dollars. Think of how much he could save us over 4-8 years! Quid Pro Joe!

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
$1 BILLION to Ukraine

And that's just to Ukraine. That doesn't count the money - OUR MONEY - that gets hemorrhaged around the world.
The first thing that bureaucrats would do with it is give bonus's to themselves.

SamSpade

The government doesn’t “save” money. They ALWAYS find a way to spend it SOMEWHERE. The best you can do is either give it back or starve the beast - keep it from getting it. But you can’t leave money in Washington. It WILL get spent on SOMETHING.

Spitfire

Greetings:

The words you type suggest you think this is a zero sum game in which (in this case) Ukraine's win is our loss. It's not. That's not the way this works at all. There is zero requirement for the government to spend a billion dollars at home if they don't spend it in Ukraine.

None of it is really "our money" by the way. It's all made up.

Barabbas

Greetings:

The words you type suggest you think this is a zero sum game in which (in this case) Ukraine's win is our loss. It's not. That's not the way this works at all. There is zero requirement for the government to spend a billion dollars at home if they don't spend it in Ukraine.

None of it is really "our money" by the way. It's all made up.
There's zero requirement to spend it in Ukraine.

It's not that there's a requirement to spend it at home if they don't spend it in Ukraine, but they could absolutely not spend it in Ukraine nonetheless. maybe if they stopped spending the money uselessly, they'd stop taking so much of it from folks like me that pay so much into them to spend on Ukraine.

Spitfire

There's zero requirement to spend it in Ukraine.

It's not that there's a requirement to spend it at home if they don't spend it in Ukraine, but they could absolutely not spend it in Ukraine nonetheless. maybe if they stopped spending the money uselessly, they'd stop taking so much of it from folks like me that pay so much into them to spend on Ukraine.

Greetings:

Sure, but government is going to do what government is going to do. Yours or my tax dollars don't fund these things. The government can will money into existence. They do not need our tax dollars for this sort of stuff.

Barabbas

Greetings:

Sure, but government is going to do what government is going to do. Yours or my tax dollars don't fund these things. The government can will money into existence. They do not need our tax dollars for this sort of stuff.
GREAT! You should tell them this, so they stop taking my money.

Of course, if they did that, a $1 would be absolutely worthless, but at least they'd stop taking my money. And, maybe they'd stop borrowing from foreign nations.

It seems odd that they can do this and yet they keep borrowing from foreign nations and taking my money. Why do you suppose they do that?

Spitfire

GREAT! You should tell them this, so they stop taking my money.

Of course, if they did that, a $1 would be absolutely worthless, but at least they'd stop taking my money. And, maybe they'd stop borrowing from foreign nations.

It seems odd that they can do this and yet they keep borrowing from foreign nations and taking my money. Why do you suppose they do that?

Greetings:

Your and my tax revenue dollars are essentially destroyed on tax day. The federal government is the sole issuer of our currency. Money can be willed into existence at any time. Given that, it makes no sense whatsoever that the government needs our money on tax day to fund their programs, now does it?

Barabbas

Greetings:

Your and my tax revenue dollars are essentially destroyed on tax day. The federal government is the sole issuer of our currency. Money can be willed into existence at any time. Given that, it makes no sense whatsoever that the government needs our money on tax day to fund their programs, now does it?
Of course it makes no sense.

So, why do you suppose they keep taking our tax money?

Spitfire

Of course it makes no sense.

So, why do you suppose they keep taking our tax money?

Greetings:

Simple.

Taxes provide the inherent worth of the U.S. dollar. Taxes are the debt we all have to pay and can be satisfied with U.S. dollars and U.S. dollars only. Don't believe me? Go try and settle up with the gold that's in your pocket.

If the government stopped collecting income taxes tomorrow, the value of the dollar would evaporate.

That is the purposes of taxes. Nothing more.

Barabbas

Greetings:

Simple.

Taxes provide the inherent worth of the U.S. dollar. Taxes are the debt we all have to pay and can be satisfied with U.S. dollars and U.S. dollars only. Don't believe me? Go try and settle up with the gold that's in your pocket.

If the government stopped collecting income taxes tomorrow, the value of the dollar would evaporate.

You have a very interesting theory. : pats-on-head:

Barabbas

Greetings:

I'm happy to be told the truth then. Please continue.
The value of the dollar is not based on taxes. The value of the dollar is based on supply and demand of products and dollars.

If we had exceptionally little food, the dollar would not buy much food. If we had a surplus of dollars, it would take many of them to buy food in a normal supply situation.

You mentioned gold as if it had some inherent value. Gold has no inherent value. Gold has value based on the supply and demand for gold. Its value varies drastically with perceptions, just like that of the dollar.

The value of anything is what another person is willing to exchange for it. It's likely you work a normal job, and get paid a certain number of dollars for a certain amount of work or time. You exchange that work or time for the dollars. If you want more dollars per work/time, you make your work/time more valuable to someone else and take a new job. Similarly, if you want to eat, you choose things that the dollars you got for the work/time will support, as balanced with other things you may wish to have (like a house, or a car, or a vacation).

Back when there were one-income homes as the norm, one income supported homes and the standard of living that was "normal" for most. When the norm shifted to two income homes, suddenly the cost of everything went up to where one needs two incomes to have that same standard of living. That is to say, the general supply of dollars went up, so the value of it (in terms of housing) dropped.

This would be true whether we were paid in gold bars, or chocolate chips, or dollars. We agree the dollars have a value based on the supply and demand of the dollars and the supply and demand of the things we wish to trade the dollars for.

Welcome to the Grand Illusion. But, it's really not an illusion, it's reality.

transporter

$1 BILLION to Ukraine

Spitbubble, you REALLY shouldn't use big words...like "think". Since you've gotten so lazy as to not even provide links to back up your comments anymore....let's just go with the assumption $1 Billion is the correct amount of aid to Ukraine.

The annual spending of the US Federal govt is now north of $4 TRILLION.

Foreign aid amounts to about 1% of total federal govt spending.

What does our "hemorrhaging " money around the world buy us? A safer world....markets for our businesses...and the world's reserve currency. I know you don't understand any of this. You can though...stop reading twitter as your news source and go take a class.

transporter

Greetings:

Simple.

That's a clumsy way of putting it but it is in the ballpark.

Taxes provide confidence to our debtors that they will be paid on time and in full when they loan us money.