Now Toyota....

GregV814

In a never ending race in marketing aimed at the LBQGT squad, the Toyota people now show two boyfriends buying a truck in their commercial. Now we need a bi-racial Muslim/Jewish lesbian couple to complete the set.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I probably saw that commercial a dozen times before it registered with me that that was a same-sex couple. There's another commercial for something that shows two dads getting their kid off to school that took awhile to register as well.

Am I the only oblivion that doesn't notice these things?

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Am I the only oblivion that doesn't notice these things?
No. I think the approach at this point in time is to take the subtle route; one that will become more apparent/noticeable as society becomes more conditioned - um, excuse me, I meant, "accustomed" - to it all.

Now we need a bi-racial Muslim/Jewish lesbian couple to complete the set.
No doubt, it's probably already been done. Just in a super subtle way. As long as the company believes the targeted consumer group has the cash, the company will eventually spotlight it.

Because companies are following the money. Or believe they are.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

--- End of line (MCP)

Bonehead

Kind of like the lesbian jewelry commercial, give me a break, don't shove your sexual preference at me and I won't bash your effin face in, pretty simple.

At least those are just "in passing" and just kinda slide by. I stopped watching CW because they have commercials that are completely and totally dedicated to showing and telling the world how inclusive their programs are, the #CWOpenToAll. When you have to tout how inculsive you are, it's just a desparate cry to be included and prove how "me too" you are. It's WAY WAY too in my face.

Last edited:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Sports Illustrated is pandering to the Sarecens with their swimsuit issue. Because I bet they buy a ton of their magazines.

glhs837

Power with Control
What commercial is that? The one with two blonde women on the beach swinging around in a circle?
I thought they were gay at first too but it's supposed to be mother and daughter - I guess for mother's day. You must never go to the beach Bonehead - mothers and daughters all over the world lay in the sand in their designer clothing then giggle and get up and swing each other around while wearing swarvorski jewelry. .

Unless that's not the commercial you were talking about and if that's the case I beg your forgiveness.

My guess would be the one where they are in a restaurant and one presents the other with a small gift box. Cant find it online. Dont bother except that given the distribution of gays in the population, hey are pretty well represented.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My guess would be the one where they are in a restaurant and one presents the other with a small gift box.

This is the one I was thinking of - Kay Jewelers or something. The one gal appears to be ready to pop the question.

I'm not sure why someone would care enough about the relationships of strangers - or actors in a commercial - to want to "bash their face in". That's just wrong.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I am sick to death of having any person's sexual preference shoved in my face or displayed as normal in a television commercial.

Oh stop it. It's not like they're shown sucking face or banging. I think you're way overboard in your reaction.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
I am sick to death of having any person's sexual preference shoved in my face or displayed as normal in a television commercial.
Oh stop it. It's not like they're shown sucking face or banging. I think you're way overboard in your reaction.
I find myself somewhere in the middle here.

Clearly, companies are going where they think the money is. So why not highlight the groups they think have the cash? If so, then there's nothing "in your face" about the ads at all.

But it seems all so contrived. Especially with all the various permutations being shown. And the ads seem to project a reality where all these relationships/strange combos exist in numbers far greater than they do. Hence, at least part of the pushback.

In the end, whatever the target audience, I think companies believe their adverts need to be/must be edgy. Edgy enough to grab the folks who support the "ad edginess" to praise it; edgy enough to get those opposed to whatever the edginess is to squawk about it. There's chatter at the water cooler in both cases. Which is what these companies want: their products chattered about.

Long gone are the days where an advert would tell you about the product and how well the product does what the company claims it will do. Now we need a backstory.

Honestly, I miss the old way of doing business. But I'm old. So I guess it figures I would.

--- End of line (MCP)

Grumpy

But it seems all so contrived. Especially with all the various permutations being shown. And the ads seem to project a reality where all these relationships/strange combos exist in numbers far greater than they do. Hence, at least part of the pushback.

^that

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But it seems all so contrived.

I agree with this. Sometimes it's so blatant it screams "See us being inclusive? Please don't come after us, Lavender Mafia!!" But mostly I find it so subtle I don't even notice. Granted, there are people who pay a lot more attention to who's doing who, but mostly it has to be pointed out to me that the couple in the ad is same-sex or mixed race or whatever. I see so much of it in my everyday life that it does seem normal to me and not remarkable.

glhs837

Power with Control
I agree with this. Sometimes it's so blatant it screams "See us being inclusive? Please don't come after us, Lavender Mafia!!" But mostly I find it so subtle I don't even notice. Granted, there are people who pay a lot more attention to who's doing who, but mostly it has to be pointed out to me that the couple in the ad is same-sex or mixed race or whatever. I see so much of it in my everyday life that it does seem normal to me and not remarkable.

Buddy of mine refers to it as having all the flavors represented. When you work so hard on your poster/ad to make sure you check all the inclusiveness blocks. Sometimes too hard. There have been cases where places photoshopped out a white person and added a POC to hit the mark :)

and this is sort of whats happening in media. And people notice.