Now we have a pisser

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
That's how I would have said it, so it didn't even register.... Like if I said 'all y'all'. It would slide by totally unnoticed by many here.
That's easy. "Y'all" is singular and means you, "All y'all" is collective and means all of you.

8 years ago I was in Hilton Head Island chatting with a couple, and the guy says "I know a native when I hear one". So I asked where they were from. Virginia they said. They seemed surprised when I told them I was from Mare-lin.

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
This kind of stuff has probably always happened. We just didn't know it because security cameras weren't everywhere. I think I shared my story from decades ago of an apartment building that I worked at. People would crap in the elevators and once there was a used tampon in the ashtray outside the elevators.
Was that when you worked on Southern Avenue Mitzi?

PeoplesElbow

This kind of stuff has probably always happened. We just didn't know it because security cameras weren't everywhere.
I still don't see it in the news for the other places I've lived like I do in Maryland. Then again those places just weren't this classy.

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
Yes and also off Naylor Road. Have I mentioned I worked on Southern Avenue or are you clairvoyant?
Don't you remember? I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once.:lol:

J/K :huggy: Yes, you've mentioned it before. I don't think you mentioned Naylor Road before though, but I had family that lived in Naylor Gardens. Do you know where that is?

mitzi

Don't you remember? I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once.:lol:

J/K :huggy: Yes, you've mentioned it before. I don't think you mentioned Naylor Road before though, but I had family that lived in Naylor Gardens. Do you know where that is?

Yes I do. I know someone from the "old" neighborhood back then that still lives there. Believe it or not, even though the crime is off the charts, the apartments are still maintained and look very nice (I've seen pictures).
I don't recall a Holiday Inn Express in that area :lmao:. You must be thinking of Mr. Wicks :killingme

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
Yes I do. I know someone from the "old" neighborhood back then that still lives there. Believe it or not, even though the crime is off the charts, the apartments are still maintained and look very nice (I've seen pictures).
I don't recall a Holiday Inn Express in that area :lmao:. You must be thinking of Mr. Wicks :killingme

Let's see how small this world is mitzi. My mom's friend, Penny D, moved from Naylor Gardens about 4 years ago, did you know her?. I'd say her whole name but I think that would violate her privacy. She said the apartments were fine, as long as you didn't leave the grounds, kind of like a resort in Jamaica.:lol:

I've never stayed at Mr. Wicks, but I've heard enough stories about it to write a book, and a very dirty book at that.:shocking: But if an inch of snow fell in the 1970's I was on that hill across the street sledding down into Oxon Run Park.

Say, wanna go for a beer at the Quonset Hut?:buddies:

mitzi

Let's see how small this world is mitzi. My mom's friend, Penny D, moved from Naylor Gardens about 4 years ago, did you know her?. I'd say her whole name but I think that would violate her privacy. She said the apartments were fine, as long as you didn't leave the grounds, kind of like a resort in Jamaica.:lol:

I've never stayed at Mr. Wicks, but I've heard enough stories about it to write a book, and a very dirty book at that.:shocking: But if an inch of snow fell in the 1970's I was on that hill across the street sledding down into Oxon Run Park.

Say, wanna go for a beer at the Quonset Hut?:buddies:

No I didn't know her. But the world is small. Some of my best friends lived on Oxon Run Drive. I spent a lot of time there. I was a teenager then so depending on our age difference, we probably knew a lot of the same people. We can't go to the Quonset, it's been closed for years :lmao:

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
No I didn't know her. But the world is small. Some of my best friends lived on Oxon Run Drive. I spent a lot of time there. I was a teenager then so depending on our age difference, we probably knew a lot of the same people. We can't go to the Quonset, it's been closed for years :lmao:
Okay, how about the 51 Club?

J/K, I know they're closed too. :lol:

When I was a kid we used to get pizza there every Friday night when I was in my pre/early teens, mid 70's. The lady at the carry out knew who my brother and I were so she looked out for us when we went in to get it. The last time we ever went there we came out with the pizza, and my mom, in her car, was blocked in by cop cars. They had chased a guy from Suitland down the parkway and he ditched the car in the parking lot and fled on foot through the trees. They told us he had a gun and we were lucky he didn't take us hostage.:yikes:

mitzi

I was in my pre/early teens, mid 70's.

This confirms I'm older by 5 years or so. We had something similar happen. There was a bunch of us down in the park one night drinking. We look up thru the trees and see several cops cars stopped with the lights on. Floodlight shining down the hill and one yelling they were going to let the K9 loose. We all jump up running and stumbling up the hill thru the trees to get out of the park. We're thinking all this for underage drinking?? They looked pretty surprised to see us and asking us if we had seen anyone running thru down there. Come to find out, a guy had robbed the donut place on Branch Avenue and was seen running into the park (heading over the DC line). Good times :lmao:

Last edited:

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
This confirms I'm older by 5 years or so. We had something similar happen. There was a bunch of us down in the park one night drinking. We look up thru the trees and see several cops cars stopped with the lights on. Floodlight shining down the hill and one yelling they were going to let the K9 loose. We all jump up running and stumbling up the hill thru the trees to get out of the park. We're thinking all this for underage drinking?? They looked pretty surprised to see us and asking us if we had seen anyone running thru down there. Come to find out, a guy had robbed the donut place on Branch Avenue and was seen running into the park (heading over the DC line). Good times :lmao:
Well I'm 59 years old and will be 60 before the end of the year. 60 mitzi, can you believe that?!😢

I bet you a dollar that donut place that got robbed was Hi-Boy Donuts at the corner of Branch Ave and Curtis Dr, across from the Exxon Station that had the big plaster Tiger out front. Straight shot down Naylor Rd to the park.

When I was in the Silver Hill boys club we had our football practices in Oxon Run Park, otherwise I would be hanging out on 23rd Parkway in Hillcrest Heights. Did you ever hang out around there, or Iverson Mall?

mitzi

Well I'm 59 years old and will be 60 before the end of the year. 60 mitzi, can you believe that?!😢

I bet you a dollar that donut place that got robbed was Hi-Boy Donuts at the corner of Branch Ave and Curtis Dr, across from the Exxon Station that had the big plaster Tiger out front. Straight shot down Naylor Rd to the park.

When I was in the Silver Hill boys club we had our football practices in Oxon Run Park, otherwise I would be hanging out on 23rd Parkway in Hillcrest Heights. Did you ever hang out around there, or Iverson Mall?

It was Hi-Boy Donuts, I couldn't think of the name. We lived on 23rd Parkway, down by Iverson Towers. Where did you live? We were always at the Mall or walking somewhere.
Are you on the Marlow Heights 60s and 70s FB group? Someone yesterday posted pictures they took recently of our old neighborhood. You should join, lots of memories on there.
I guessed right, I'm 5 years older than you. We still probably knew some of the same people.

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
It was Hi-Boy Donuts, I couldn't think of the name. We lived on 23rd Parkway, down by Iverson Towers. Where did you live? We were always at the Mall or walking somewhere.
Are you on the Marlow Heights 60s and 70s FB group? Someone yesterday posted pictures they took recently of our old neighborhood. You should join, lots of memories on there.
I guessed right, I'm 5 years older than you. We still probably knew some of the same people.
Wow mitzi! We lived on 23rd Parkway too, and Iverson Towers was literally on the other side of our back yard fence. Did you live in 23rd Parkway Court? I remember there was a family there that would really decorate a lot at Halloween and the family would always dress up.

I'm not on the Marlow Heights 60s and 70s FB page but the same guy has one for Benjamin Stoddert Jr High and I'm on there.

Do you remember the Dallas Kitchen? The bowling alley is right behind me.

Attachments

• DK.png
    DK.png
    757.5 KB · Views: 103

mitzi

We lived in the apartments at the very end. I remember Dallas Kitchen, wasn't there a High's or 7-11 beside it? This is so funny that we grew up right down the street from each other. Let's go have a beer at Giovanni's :lmao:.
I really like the Marlow Heights site. I've gotten back in touch with so many people from back in the day. Two of my best friends that we lost touch with over the years.

Last edited: