NPR gives WaPo's Kessler 8 minutes to defend widely criticized piece on Tim Scott's ancestors

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Fact-checker argues Sen. Scott's origin story sounded a little too 'tidy'

Kessler explained that Scott's origin story, like those of many politicians, sounded a little too "tidy," and so he decided it would make an "interesting" fact check.

Kessler noted in his piece that Scott's humble beginnings were more "complex" than the senator let on, particularly because Scott’s great-great-grandfather owned 900 acres in South Carolina, and Scott’s grandfather, Artis Ware, worked on that farm.

Social media united in ripping Kessler for the controversial piece, calling it "cringe," "embarrassing" and "racist." Kessler said "it was not a very good day for me to see that spread with such vehement across the internet."

According to Kessler, his critics "twisted" his argument to make it sound more sinister. He noted defensively that he relied on property records to write his piece and he sticks by his conclusion that the narrative Sen. Scott has been telling America is misleading.

Clem72

Can't possibly be true, all blacks were held down by whitey

Can't be true that black people today had a great-great-grandfather who was a large land owner? I would assume there were quite a few people who fall into this camp. Now whether or not that ancestor was black is a different story.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
No matter where he came from, he made it to the Senate. His parents divorced when he was 7. I doubt being raised by a single mother he was living an entitled life growing up.

BernieP

Resident PIA
No matter where he came from, he made it to the Senate. His parents divorced when he was 7. I doubt being raised by a single mother he was living an entitled life growing up.
Check out Ben Carson's story. Detroit, single mother. Thomas Sowell. Hell, his parents both died.