Nuclear power plant sirens?

Ohiogirl

I'm assuming the sirens we hear are for the Calvert Cliffs nuclear power plant. We live near White Sands. Heard the siren go off this morning, it was still dark outside, so I'm assuming 6ish. Then it went off at 8:30. Any signifigance, or do they just like to push the test button occasionally, any hour of the day or night, doesn't matter which day. Is it a "HEY!! It's nice outside...come outside siren!"

We have the calendar they sent with the 'scheduled' alarms...and today was not a day. Should I prepare for the worst?:cds:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Notice all your neighbors are gone? No animals are moving. Sounds like you missed the warning. Can I have your bank account #'s? You won't be needing them anymore.

greeneyes36

I'm assuming the sirens we hear are for the Calvert Cliffs nuclear power plant. We live near White Sands. Heard the siren go off this morning, it was still dark outside, so I'm assuming 6ish. Then it went off at 8:30. Any signifigance, or do they just like to push the test button occasionally, any hour of the day or night, doesn't matter which day. Is it a "HEY!! It's nice outside...come outside siren!"

We have the calendar they sent with the 'scheduled' alarms...and today was not a day. Should I prepare for the worst?:cds:

Maybe it's the St Leonard VFD siren you are hearing?? the fire dept siren blew around 6ish..i wasnt home at 830ish so dont know. How close are you to Parran Road? If you are hearing it often- it's prob the fire dept. 2 rounds...ambulance call, 3 and 4 rounds...fire and/or accident emergency calls.

poster

Maybe it's the St Leonard VFD siren you are hearing?? the fire dept siren blew around 6ish..i wasnt home at 830ish so dont know. How close are you to Parran Road? If you are hearing it often- it's prob the fire dept. 2 rounds...ambulance call, 3 and 4 rounds...fire and/or accident emergency calls.

I agree, I live near SLFD, the Calvert Cliffs siren in WAY different and has a longer cycle. I hear the fire dept's so often I don't pay it much attention anymore but when the siren at the cliffs goes off it gets my attention everytime. Didn't leave the house this am till 7 and we never heard it.

What are the outages mentioned and why would there be a siren for them?

Last edited:

Ohiogirl

I think you guys might be right about the SLFD. Parran Rd is about 1 mile or so (if I walked thru the woods).

I looked up the outage thing, basically Calvert Cliffs in shutting down to do maintenace and replace some things.

xobxdoc

It's a refueling outage and we didn't doing anything that would warrant a siren this morning.

Last edited:

dave1959

If your S.O. says to you tonight: " You're glowing tonight dear" it might have a different meaning..

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Speed of sound; 340 meters/second.

Initial shock wave a nuclear oopsie; 30 km/second.

What's the point of emitting a sound you'll never hear?

:evil:

poster

LOL

When people learn how close we live to the plant the reaction always amazes me. "OMG! You live within the 10mile radius?!"

I guess they say this because everyone knows that the blast will get to the 10mile mark and just fall to the ground. :smack:

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
An "oppsie" at a nuclear power plant would not result in a nuclear blast.
Only a much smaller conventional blast (steam pressure explosion, etc) is possible which could release radiation or radioactive material.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
My hubby hates that movie. I swear he watches it just to pi$$ himself off.

He could try a new perspective and see it for what it is; oil and coal putting the green movement to work for them.

:shrug:

Now, that doesn't help the nation because nuke would be awfully nice to have a whole lot more of but, there is some satisfaction to be had in the futility of the self righteousness and sanctimonious blathering of the left who claim to be sooooo against big carbon yet were and are instrumental in securing those fuels long term role in the economy while devastating what they claim to really care about, by their own measures, in the process.

And therein lies the amusement of CS; fairy tale for dummies.

:shrug: