Numismatic breakthrough: Coin study suggests 'fake' Roman emperor was real

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Researchers examined the coin's surface for wear and tear as well as the presence of minerals to rule it out as a fake

A horde of coins found in Transylvania in 1713 contained several unlike other Roman coins in style and make, with enigmatic features including bungled legends and historically mixed motifs. The four gold coins depicting the "Roman emperor" Sponsian were long regarded as forgeries and Sponsian himself a fake.

However, in a breakthrough new study in the scientific journal PLOS One, researchers have concluded that the coin of Sponsian locked away for years in a museum cupboard in Glasgow is a genuine third-century artifact and that Sponsian was a real claimant to the title.

How long until the Emperor Tuchas Facious is authenticated and recognized?

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Interesting...

I think Tuchas Facious already recognizes himself, the Bupkis.

One of the characters I portray in historical reenactments sometimes is Lucius Vergilius Ambulator, a late 1st century Roman-Briton, who is a traveling peddler and basic doctor. Lucius is a former Legionnaire, and travels the region around his home in Londinium. My Emperor is Trajan.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Interesting...

One of the characters I portray in historical reenactments sometimes is Lucius Vergilius Ambulator, a late 1st century Roman-Briton, who is a traveling peddler and basic doctor. Lucius is a former Legionnaire, and travels the region around his home in Londinium. My Emperor is Trajan.
You don't also happen to portray Theodoric of York, Medieval Barber do you?

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Interesting...

Once heard him described as an ancient Ronald Reagan who understood the value of good commerce.