Nursing home owners charged with homicide

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
This is a problem with "private" nursing homes. Do they have the resources in an emergency such as this? I doubt they had a place to take the residents or the means to get them there. That does NOT mean they should have abandoned the patients. EVERY attempt SHOULD have been made to evacuate - and if they chose not to, then its their responsibility to stay in the facility with the patients.
I've learned a great deal about nursing homes - private does not equal better.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
bresamil said:
This is a prroblem with "private" nursing homes. Do they have the resources in an emergency such as this? I doubt they had a place to take the residents or the means to get them there. That does NOT mean they should have abandoned the patients. EVERY attempt SHOULD have been made to evacuate - and if they chose not to, then its their responsibility to stay in the facility with the patients.
I've learned a great deal about nursing homes - private does not equal better.
In the end, if it comes between a 19 year old Nurses Aide or a 92 year old patient, I would hope the 19 year old would save herself. This gets back to the Mayor not calling for an evacuation, or not calling for one soon enough. Nursing homes HAVE to depend on ambulance services and fire staions to evacuate, then where to? Their evacuation plans probably consist of getting them into the parking lot to await transportation.. no transportation available, so then what?

I didn't pay attention to the story, which level is pressing charges? DA of New Orleans? Pressured by the Mayor?

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
itsbob said:
In the end, if it comes between a 19 year old Nurses Aide or a 92 year old patient, I would hope the 19 year old would save herself. This gets back to the Mayor not calling for an evacuation, or not calling for one soon enough. Nursing homes HAVE to depend on ambulance services and fire staions to evacuate, then where to? Their evacuation plans probably consist of getting them into the parking lot to await transportation.. no transportation available, so then what?

I didn't pay attention to the story, which level is pressing charges? DA of New Orleans? Pressured by the Mayor?
Louisiana attorney general's office.

Private nursing homes can't depend on public ambulances, etc. And they aren't monitored as closely as a state run facility. A few rare private nursing homes that cater to the rich are outstanding - but most are just a business like any other, trying to spend as little as possible and make as much profit as they can. Rather unfortunate.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
bresamil said:
Louisiana attorney general's office.

Private nursing homes can't depend on public ambulances, etc. And they aren't monitored as closely as a state run facility. A few rare private nursing homes that cater to the rich are outstanding - but most are just a business like any other, trying to spend as little as possible and make as much profit as they can. Rather unfortunate.
I've NEVER seen a private nursing home with their own ambulance fleet, as a matter of fact, other then a van, and small touring type bus (for trips to the outlet malls) I've never seen one that had ANY kind of vehicle for transporting patients that were confined to beds/ gurneys. Agree whole heartedly with the business aspect. A lot of money to be made if you know how to do it, and usually the $$$ is the bottom line.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Qpid said:
The owners REFUSED HELP!!! :burning:

Check out the story on msnbc....
That is why they are at fault. They were even given options that many private facilities don't have - but chose not to move the patients. The owners should have stayed with the patients.

I know someone doesn't agree with that because they gave me red. What part of responsibility is not understood? :confused:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
bresamil said:
That is why they are at fault. They were even given options that many private facilities don't have - but chose not to move the patients. The owners should have stayed with the patients.
I'm sure it's going to come out in court, and just as sure they are even going to plead it down, or be found innocent and not spend a day in jail.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
That and the decisions to move patients, not to move patients, probably wasn't a decision made by the owners. You have Administrators and RN's on staff to make any and all decisions when it comes to the patients, they get paid good money to make decisions, why wasn't the senior nurse on at the time charged, or the home Administrator?

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
itsbob said:
I'm sure it's going to come out in court, and just as sure they are even going to plead it down, or be found innocent and not spend a day in jail.
I doubt we'll hear much in the press either way past this point.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Why didn't anyone go pick up Grandma? If it were me, I would not have waited for the nursing home to make a decision, I would have gotten my family out myself.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
itsbob said:
That and the decisions to move patients, not to move patients, probably wasn't a decision made by the owners. You have Administrators and RN's on staff to make any and all decisions when it comes to the patients, they get paid good money to make decisions, why wasn't the senior nurse on at the time charged, or the home Administrator?
Oh agreed that it goes beyond the owners. To some elder care is a calling, to others its a job. Kind of obvious in this case that those that had input considered it a job.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
itsbob said:
The Nursing Home Administrator I can see, but not the RN's or others on the nursing staff. They have little or no power and cannot make those decisions. My sister is Director of Nursing for a nursing home and she has little authority to make any decision about patients other than ensuring they are getting the care they need while in the facility and that there is sufficient staff on hand to care for them. She is known to go around to the staff's homes when it is bad weather and pick them up so they can make it into work.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
jazz lady said:
The Nursing Home Administrator I can see, but not the RN's or others on the nursing staff. They have little or no power and cannot make those decisions. My sister is Director of Nursing for a nursing home and she has little authority to make any decision about patients other than ensuring they are getting the care they need while in the facility and that there is sufficient staff on hand to care for them. She is known to go around to the staff's homes when it is bad weather and pick them up so they can make it into work.
:clap: A prime example of someone that considers nursing a calling! The admin staff at the facilities I've experienced are more business people than care givers - some have never worked in medical fields. They're the paperwork people.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
bresamil said:
:clap: A prime example of someone that considers nursing a calling! The admin staff at the facilities I've experienced are more business people than care givers - some have never worked in medical fields. They're the paperwork people.
Yes, she does consider nursing a calling. From volunteering as a candy-striper as a teenager to celebrating 25+ years as a nurse, it's the ONLY thing she has ever wanted to do. She is on call 24/7 all the time and was even called a few times when we went on vacation together. She may be the Director of Nursing but still considers herself a NURSE first and foremost. I give a lot of kudos to her and for her dedication.

Having said that, it is the ADMINISTRATORS that needed to make a timely decision on evacuating their patients. They should have already had a plan drawn up and enacted it promptly when conditions warranted it. I don't believe for one second they didn't know there was a mandatory evacuation.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
jazz lady said:
Having said that, it is the ADMINISTRATORS that needed to make a timely decision on evacuating their patients. They should have already had a plan drawn up and enacted it promptly when conditions warranted it. I don't believe for one second they didn't know there was a mandatory evacuation.
Agreed. According to the article they knew and still declined.