Nursing Homes

razzle1127

Hello,

We are looking for a good nursing home for my grand parents. Grandma will need alot of care once she gets out the hospital and grandpa wants to stay with her (he really needs help too) Looking for a place that uses Civista as the hospital as thats where her docs are. Heard Gentiva is bad. Please share any info you have good or bad on the nursing homes in Charles, Calvert and St Mary's Counties. Thanks

DEEKAYPEE8569

Hello,

We are looking for a good nursing home for my grand parents. Grandma will need alot of care once she gets out the hospital and grandpa wants to stay with her (he really needs help too) Looking for a place that uses Civista as the hospital as thats where her docs are. Heard Gentiva is bad. Please share any info you have good or bad on the nursing homes in Charles, Calvert and St Mary's Counties. Thanks

Based on what i know about what my Dad had to go through to find MY Grandmother a place; first, sadly, it's all about money. If your Grandparents don't have a lot of medical insurance; most places don't even want to talk to you. You may have to spend a lot of time on the phone, calling around.

Good luck with your search. If Civista/doctors are your preference you are probably limited to Charles County. The best advice is find a facility near your home where you can visit often. Make your presence known. Get involved in the family council.. Check out the state inspection reports before you decide on a facility.:coffee:

sdm

Good luck with your search. If Civista/doctors are your preference you are probably limited to Charles County. The best advice is find a facility near your home where you can visit often. Make your presence known. Get involved in the family council.. Check out the state inspection reports before you decide on a facility.:coffee:

Even the state inspection reports are of no use. My sister and I searched reports and visited numerous nursing homes observing facilities, patients, and staff in a 75 mile radius to Southern Maryland. We chose what we thought was the best staffed, cleanest and would most meet the needs required by doctors for my mother's transition to home (had to have wound care and in-house dialysis at facility). 6 days after transferring my mother to this nursing home she died. The condition my sister found my mother in 7 hours prior to her death at the hands of the staff was horrible.

Best advice is definitely find one very close to your home where family members can monitor care frequently. Trust no one with your loved one. Only you know when something is wrong or not right.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Even the state inspection reports are of no use. My sister and I searched reports and visited numerous nursing homes observing facilities, patients, and staff in a 75 mile radius to Southern Maryland. We chose what we thought was the best staffed, cleanest and would most meet the needs required by doctors for my mother's transition to home (had to have wound care and in-house dialysis at facility). 6 days after transferring my mother to this nursing home she died. The condition my sister found my mother in 7 hours prior to her death at the hands of the staff was horrible.

Best advice is definitely find one very close to your home where family members can monitor care frequently. Trust no one with your loved one. Only you know when something is wrong or not right.

If you are determined to stay in Charles County I can say from personal experience (my mother was there BRIEFLY) that I would not recommend Genesis. The doctor's are not local and rotate through there for only a few hours every other day and never on weekends. Although their PT staff was nice, the nurses rarely spent time with the patients and the GNAs were neglectful and uncaring. We were there every day and I knew when my mother needed to be moved to the hospital before they did. In fact they argued with me until I called in her physician (not affiliated with them) and after he examined her he called an ambulance.

Wherever you place them, visit VERY frequently and PLAN on being their advocate. Even the best facilities can be short staffed.

Wherever you place them, visit VERY frequently and PLAN on being their advocate. Even the best facilities can be short staffed.

And that is what it comes down to... having known people who work in that industry, I don't believe the staff wants to only provide superficial care for your loved one, they don't have much choice. They are overworked and underpaid and even get put on report if a reason arises where they spend extra time and attention on one rather than rattle through the list of many they must tend to.... families should consider these places as a place to house their loved one with the expectation of minimal care... families should expect to be their loved one's primary caregiver and should plan accordingly.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
And that is what it comes down to... having known people who work in that industry, I don't believe the staff wants to only provide superficial care for your loved one, they don't have much choice. They are overworked and underpaid and even get put on report if a reason arises where they spend extra time and attention on one rather than rattle through the list of many they must tend to.... families should consider these places as a place to house their loved one with the expectation of minimal care... families should expect to be their loved one's primary caregiver and should plan accordingly.

absolutey. I can't stress that to people enough. Yes, becaus eof the nature of the minimal requirements of the job, it can attract people who are lazy and do not want to work or care about their job, however, I would say the vast majority of those types of caregivers are not providing minimal care because of callousness or laziness..its sheer numbers. They are extremely overworked, paid very little, and the benefits are nearly nil. Most i know ( I worked in the field for many years) are extremely caring individuals who do their best with rather extreme circumstances. There are times when entire nursing homes rely on one or two GNAs to care for everyone, all day. It is nearly impossible to provide more than the most basic of care with that kind of responsibility. The burn out rate is incredible. I myself did not go into nursing as I planned because my years as a CNA burnt me out to the point where imagining myself in the field for any second longer gave me anxiety.

bottom line, in order for the best care to be recieved, you HAVE to have someone there every single day. Someone to be involved, someone to provide more complex care, someone to work with the staff to make sure your loved one is adequately cared for. So I always tell people who are looking for a home that location is far more important than anything else. Most are about comparable, so a home that is convenient for frequent and regular interaction should be the deciding factor.

SoMDGirl42

You have my sympathy.

When we had no choice but to place family members in nursing homes, we as a family made the effort to take shifts to make sure they were taken care of. The only time they were not tended to was midnight to 6 a.m. Ironically, both family members died during those times.

If I ever have to cross that bridge again, we will make arrangements again to provide most of the care with assistance from the nursing home staff.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
If you are determined to stay in Charles County I can say from personal experience (my mother was there BRIEFLY) that I would not recommend Genesis. The doctor's are not local and rotate through there for only a few hours every other day and never on weekends. Although their PT staff was nice, the nurses rarely spent time with the patients and the GNAs were neglectful and uncaring. We were there every day and I knew when my mother needed to be moved to the hospital before they did. In fact they argued with me until I called in her physician (not affiliated with them) and after he examined her he called an ambulance.

Genesis is horrible... I could write a book of hate on that place.