Nut allergies linked to breastfeeding

Misfit

Lawful neutral
http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-...reastfeeding-linked-to-nut-allergies-in-kids/

A new Australian study has found children who are solely breastfed in the first six months of life are at greater risk of developing a nut allergy.

There has been a sharp rise in nut allergies in Australian children over the past 20 years, but until now the medical world has found it hard to explain the risk factors.

Australian National University (ANU) researchers found it is not the breast milk itself that seems to be the culprit, but rather the traces of nuts contained in it.

The link between the two was investigated using the ACT Kindergarten Health Check Questionnaire conducted by the ANU Medical School and the ACT Health Directorate.

Of the 15,000 preschool children studied, 3.2 per cent had a peanut allergy while 3.9 per cent were allergic to other nuts.

camily

Peace
:bs: People have been breast feeding forever and the allergy "boom" has happened recently. Breast milk is what babies are supposed to drink. That's what boobs are made for. It's all the crap put into foods and the environment that's causing allergies, IMO.You going to tell me American indians had nut allergies? VERY rare I'm thinking. As we all know, hardly any kids had allergies to food when "we" were growing up. Now I can't bring anything in for birthdays because there are kids with, nut, chocolate, red dye, egg, milk, and whatever else allergies. At the preschool at our church a lady told the director her child was allergic to TONS of stuff. The director said she'd like a list from the doctor to keep on file. Yeah, that mother said, "Well, actually, we just don't like little susie to eat those things so we'd prefer other kids not to bring it infor a party." WTH???? Apparently they are vegan. That's great for them but there is no way they should impose it on the entire class.
I know, I went way off topic....

I still say it's due primarily to genetic breeding. In centuries past, you either wouldn't marry into a family with weak genes, or if a child was born with weak genes it probably died off. The weak genes were bred out, and the strong genes allowed to be passed on.

In today's society, we find ways to prevent premature illness and death allowing the weaker genes to flourish and be passed on.

I still say it's due primarily to genetic breeding. In centuries past, you either wouldn't marry into a family with weak genes, or if a child was born with weak genes it probably died off. The weak genes were bred out, and the strong genes allowed to be passed on.

In today's society, we find ways to prevent premature illness and death allowing the weaker genes to flourish and be passed on.
:dingding: I agree.

cricketmd

http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-...reastfeeding-linked-to-nut-allergies-in-kids/

.... conducted by the ANU Medical School and the ACT Health Directorate.

Of the 15,000 preschool children studied, 3.2 per cent had a peanut allergy while 3.9 per cent were allergic to other nuts.

Peanut isn't a nut, its a legume. I'm allergic to all nuts except Peanuts. :crazy: And my mother didnt consume a lot of nuts to pass on through breast milk. :shrug: I don't agree with this study. I think its more of a tree allergy thing, nuts ae produced on trees. I'm also allergic to all pitted fruits. :nerd: That too is a tree thing :shrug:

SoMDGirl42

Peanut isn't a nut, its a legume. I'm allergic to all nuts except Peanuts. :crazy: And my mother didnt consume a lot of nuts to pass on through breast milk. :shrug: I don't agree with this study. I think its more of a tree allergy thing, nuts ae produced on trees. I'm also allergic to all pitted fruits. :nerd: That too is a tree thing :shrug:

I'm allergic to black walnuts but not english walnuts. I can eat peanuts, cashews etc, no allergy to them but I'm allergic to a bunch of fruits. My allergies didn't start until I was 23, so does that mean I have weak genes and should have been killed off as an infant? :bawl:

I'm allergic to black walnuts but not english walnuts. I can eat peanuts, cashews etc, no allergy to them but I'm allergic to a bunch of fruits. My allergies didn't start until I was 23, so does that mean I have weak genes and should have been killed off as an infant? :bawl:
They shoot horses...:starcat: :jet:

He's not saying you would be killed by human intervention... he's saying that human intervention has prevented natural selection from taking it's course.

SoMDGirl42

He's not saying you would be killed by human intervention... he's saying that human intervention has prevented natural selection from taking it's course.

:killingme

I meant killed off by natural selection. Now I've passed my weak genes on. So far, no food allergies with them.

limblips

PREMO Member
I was really scared when I read the title of this thread until the part where is says "breastfed for the first 6 months". I was worried I would either have to quit eating nuts or..............

jetmonkey

Exactly. Most of you women would have died during childbirth :yay: