NY Senate passes bill to allow Congress to see Trumps tax returns and Prosecute pardoned criminals

Sapidus

More bad news for Drumpf:

The New York Senate on Wednesday passed legislation that would allow Congress to obtain President Trump’s tax returns from the state.

The bill passed by a vote of 39-21. The measure now heads to the state assembly.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) has signaled he would sign the bill into law.

The state Senate also passed a bill, in a 39-22 vote, that would allow New York to prosecute people who received presidential pardons if certain conditions are met.

The tax-returns legislation authorizes the New York commissioner of taxation and finance to provide state returns requested by the chairmen of Congress’s tax committees, so long as the requests have a legitimate legislative purpose and as long as Congress is also requesting related federal tax returns from the U.S. Treasury Department.
The bill comes as House Democrats and the Trump administration are fighting over a request for Trump’s federal tax returns.
Backers of the New York bill see it as a way for Congress to view Trump’s tax information even as his administration has denied Democrats’ request for the federal tax returns.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Legislative purpose? What laws are they going to enact by going over Trump,s tax returns?

None

Hijinx

When did the states get the power to start demanding things from the Federal, such as a President's tax returns and when did they get the power to reject a Presidential pardon?

Sounds to me like New York State is getting too big for their britches.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
When did the states get the power to start demanding things from the Federal, such as a President's tax returns and when did they get the power to reject a Presidential pardon?

Sounds to me like New York State is getting too big for their britches.
At this point it seems the bill would allow the release of the NY State return, not Federal. But the State return would provide insight into the Federal return.

Read the NY Dem's quote; his take should frighten everyone for a whole slew of reasons.

The tax-returns legislation authorizes the New York commissioner of taxation and finance to provide state returns requested by the chairmen of Congress’s tax committees, so long as the requests have a legitimate legislative purpose and as long as Congress is also requesting related federal tax returns from the U.S. Treasury Department.

The bill comes as House Democrats and the Trump administration are fighting over a request for Trump’s federal tax returns.

Backers of the New York bill see it as a way for Congress to view Trump’s tax information even as his administration has denied Democrats’ request for the federal tax returns.

“New York, as the home of the President’s state returns, has a special role and responsibility to step into the breach,” state Sen. Brad Hoylman (D) said on Twitter hours before the vote. “Washington has failed to act. We intend to lead.”

Republicans in the state Senate criticized the bill, arguing that it would amount to an invasion of taxpayers’ privacy. They criticized the fact that under the legislation, Congress could request anyone’s state tax returns, not just Trump’s.

“This is wrong,” said state Sen. Andrew Lanza (R). “I don’t want members of Congress deciding when they can attack citizens of New York.”

In the race to "Get Trump" NY Dems seem awfully eager to trample on civil liberties and legal protections.

I mentioned WWII Nazis in a different thread; we are now seeing modern-day Nazis rise right before our eyes. And that's no "appeal to emotion." This is chilling.

--- End of line (MCP)

SamSpade

They should be smart enough to know that once they open this door - it opens for EVERYONE. If they can use a little legislative legerdemain to pry into anyone’s records - it CAN - and should, immediately be used on them as well.

22AcaciaAve

Passing legislation targeting one individual that can later be used on others is not what I want my legislators, at the federal or state level, doing. This is reckless legislation that should be voted down. Of course it probably won't because New York is made up of democrats and the end justifies the means when it comes to getting Trump for them. One would hope that the citizens of NY would frown upon their legislature wasting the taxpayers time and money on frivolous vendettas like this while NY undoubtedly has some real problems, but history tells us they won't. The democrats claim Trump is doing everything he can to destroy democracy, but they are doing a pretty good job of it themselves.

Sapidus

They should be smart enough to know that once they open this door - it opens for EVERYONE. If they can use a little legislative legerdemain to pry into anyone’s records - it CAN - and should, immediately be used on them as well.

The only reason that wouldn’t work is because all the democratic candidates and pst presidents have released their returns to the public already.

SamSpade

The only reason that wouldn’t work is because all the democratic candidates and pst presidents have released their returns to the public already.
Only since Nixon - except for Ford.

Who says "everyone" only referred to presidential candidates? Why not Senators, journalists and TV anchors?

And why stop at taxes? Why not get Hillary's medical records, or Obama's school records?

WingsOfGold

Only since Nixon - except for Ford.

Who says "everyone" only referred to presidential candidates? Why not Senators, journalists and TV anchors?

And why stop at taxes? Why not get Hillary's medical records, or Obama's school records?
I'd like to see Pelosi's, Finklestein's and Mad Maxine's.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
In their blind hatred for our dear leader, they are missing the big picture. I have a feeling once they realize just how stupid this really is, they're going to wish they had never opened this can o' worms.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
In their blind hatred for our dear leader, they are missing the big picture. I have a feeling once they realize just how stupid this really is, they're going to wish they had never opened this can o' worms.
Harry Reid never learned... The remainder of his Tard Party won't either.

Sapidus

I've wondered about this....if he could simply, by decree, make these off limits then why can't Trump do the same for his state and federal taxes?

Why did Trump have Cohen threaten to sue his schools if they released his transcripts. You wouldn't think a "very stable genius " would be happy for everyone to see how bright he was

BernieP

Resident PIA
pretty much a one party state like Maryland, controlled from NYC area which is heavily democratic.
The rest of the state can pound sand as far as the government in Albany is concerned.
Sound familiar Marylanders?

SamSpade

Maybe he shouldn't have ran for president and bragged about his grades and intelligence. Public figures are not given the same amount of privacy that private citizens are

Yeah that's the way it works. Piss off the king/government/mob ruler/drug lord/ - and he gets the government to sit on you.