Oakland PD Checkpoints Too Effective

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The checkpoints, which allow officers to demand licenses and proof of insurance, are an effective way to get drunken drivers off Oakland's streets, city leaders agree. But the checks also have ensnared dozens of illegal immigrants who are not licensed to drive yet otherwise obey the law.
Well, guess what, stupid!!! If you're driving without a license AND you're an illegal immigrant, YOU'RE NOT OBEYING THE LAW, NOW ARE YOU?????

:banghead:

Toxick

Splat
vraiblonde said:
Here's a good one:

DUH!!!!!

It's crap like that which makes me yearn for the day when a big earthquake comes and california slides merrily into the ocean.

Discriminates against those without licenses, indeed. What arrogant ignorance. What STUPID audacity.

Anti-stealing laws unfairly discriminate against people who want to rob banks.

*******s.

unixpirate

Pitty Party
vraiblonde said:
Well, guess what, stupid!!! If you're driving without a license AND you're an illegal immigrant, YOU'RE NOT OBEYING THE LAW, NOW ARE YOU?????

:banghead:

Ok so there illegal immingrants:spank: and are :drunk: don't they know there both a :nono::shrug: So what did they say to the offficers :oops: ? NO! it don't work that way dammit! :banghead:
Craziest thing I've ever heard.. :ohwell:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
vraiblonde said:
:lol: I have no sympathy for them, either. Still, I say INS should get tough on both the illegals and the companies who hire them. The illegals wouldn't come here if companies weren't willing to violate the law.

soul4sale

Hang on there, resident master sociologist.

Have you ever known a city council member to respond to a honest-to-goodness citizen complaint? Heck no. They respond to campaign contributions. The only reason the council would risk pissing off its police force to halt a sucessful law enforcement action is b/c the business community had a little come-to-Jesus meeting with them.

"Tell you what, Mr. Councilman, you knock off this drunk driving checkpoint nonsense and let our cheap labor get to work unmolested, or we give your opponent in the next election enough money to make your rear end look like the Oakland tunnel."

Why else would Ah-nold support an amnesty measure for illegals? He knows, as well as every hotel and restaurant owner, that the CA economy would fall apart without a steady supply of off-the-books labor.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
soul4sale said:
Who pissed in your Wheaties today?

So in other words, you think it's just A-OK if illegal immigrants drive around without licenses AND you think the cops should quit doing DUI checkpoints so they don't accidentally realize these illegals have no license? God forbid we should offend someone who's in this country illegally and driving without a license.

Otherwise, I fail to see the point of your diatribe and question whether you actually read the article.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
vraiblonde said:
Otherwise, I fail to see the point of your diatribe and question whether you actually read the article.
But do you think Soul4sale has a point about political pressure from the business community? I doubt that it's as overt as (he?/she?) suggested, but it probably does happen.

I suspect the politicians are using this issue to please two groups--the business owners who hire the illegal help, and the activists who argue for amnesty on humanitarian grounds. Of course, I think those activists are loons for making that argument. It's not like the illegals were fleeing political persecution or something.

Pete

Repete
soul4sale said:

Have you ever known a city council member to respond to a honest-to-goodness citizen complaint? Heck no. They respond to campaign contributions. The only reason the council would risk pissing off its police force to halt a sucessful law enforcement action is b/c the business community had a little come-to-Jesus meeting with them.

"Tell you what, Mr. Councilman, you knock off this drunk driving checkpoint nonsense and let our cheap labor get to work unmolested, or we give your opponent in the next election enough money to make your rear end look like the Oakland tunnel."
So what you are saying is that liberal politicians are guilty of graft and bribery?

J.South

Let's get drunk
soul4sale said:

Why else would Ah-nold support an amnesty measure for illegals? He knows, as well as every hotel and restaurant owner, that the CA economy would fall apart without a steady supply of off-the-books labor.[/QUO

Isnt that how politics? :yeahthat:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You know what's interesting? The Democrat-leaners on here are very jaded when it comes to their government. They think all politicians are low-down grifters who are on the take.

The Republican-leaners, however, have faith in the system and faith (for the most part) in our elected officials.

Am I crazy or does anyone else see this?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
You know what's interesting? The Democrat-leaners on here are very jaded when it comes to their government. They think all politicians are low-down grifters who are on the take.

The Republican-leaners, however, have faith in the system and faith (for the most part) in our elected officials.

Are you crazy? Let me count the ways.

Democrat here and I have faith in the system and the elected officials.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ken King said:
Democrat here and I have faith in the system and the elected officials.
But would you agree that you're a Democrat in name only? Or do you plan on voting for Kerry in November?

My point, if I have one, is that Democrats tend to be a lot more disillusioned by their elected representatives and government in general. Republicans seem to be happier with the whole political process. Zogby poll says WAY more Democrats don't believe their vote counts or will even be counted correctly. The majority of Republicans think our voting system works just fine.

If I were Larry, I'd tell you it's beaten-spouse syndrome from 8 years of Clinton. As Vrai, I'm merely curious if and why this is so.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
vraiblonde said:

I think it's more complicated than that. The Democrat-leaners seem to be jaded about politicians but put faith in the "system" (meaning the bureaucracy), while the Republican-leaners seem to be jaded about the system but put faith in the politicians.

Me, I tend to be jaded about the bureaucracy AND the politicians, as well as big businesses. Don't know who said it, but I read a quote that said that each organization reaches a point in its evolution where its only goal is its self-preservation.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
But would you agree that you're a Democrat in name only? Or do you plan on voting for Kerry in November?

My point, if I have one, is that Democrats tend to be a lot more disillusioned by their elected representatives and government in general. Republicans seem to be happier with the whole political process. Zogby poll says WAY more Democrats don't believe their vote counts or will even be counted correctly. The majority of Republicans think our voting system works just fine.

If I were Larry, I'd tell you it's beaten-spouse syndrome from 8 years of Clinton. As Vrai, I'm merely curious if and why this is so.
Yeah, I am more Libertarian then anything else so no I won't be voting for J Effen Kerry.

I think many Dems think the system is in place to take care of them versus having a system that does only what we cannot do for ourselves.

Toxick

Splat
vraiblonde said:

I see it.

Having said that, I'm not a Republican, but I lean right on most things - and I think that most politicians are filthy lying elitist scumbags who should be forced to resign, and probably belong in prison. I wouldn't trust most politicans to be alone in a room of my home (not that they'd ever lower themselves to enter my meager domicile) much less alone with one of my children.

Frankly it disgusts me that I'm forced to choose between two people that I hate as president, and it disgusts me further that I'm forced to choose between people who make me sick as Senators and Congressmen.

Just ONCE I'd like to be able to vote for someone because I like them - not because the other guy sickens me more.

And that's only ONE of the reason I enjoy US Politics. :patriot:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Toxick said:
I lean right on most things
Okay, so there's one jaded rightie. :lol:

I actually like George Bush, for the most part. He's got a couple of positions that I don't agree with but I trust him and feel that he says what he thinks and does what he feels is right, without regard to polls and political silliness.