Oakwood Lodge

pilot

Does anyone know how Oakwood Lodge made out in the hurricane? I heard that area got hit pretty hard.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Probably not very well. I have a friend whose Aunt lives next door and they have a huge mess.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I heard last night that Oakwood sustained significant damage. Also heard that the owners had just sold it prior to the storm.

G

giggles04

As far as I know, they did sustain a lot of damage. I was just down there last night and just to see the mess that they all have is just incredible. To go into my boyfriend's house and see the water line around the inside... that made it so sureal.

pilot

Does anybody know whether or not some of these restaurants (Evans, Oakwood Lodge, etc.) are planning to re-open eventually?

Elle

Happy Camper!
Evans will reopen after repairs are made (a month, maybe more). Oakwood though is gone for good!

G

giggles04

Is Evans' going to reopen? I heard they weren't. I hope... but who knows.

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
I heard Drift Inn was also out in the Patuxent. Anyone hear about the places down at Sandgates? I know Shymansky's at Cobb Island took a terrible hit and not sure if they'll come back. Capt. John's also took a hit but most water damage, I hear. Chappelear's in Benedict also is gone I hear.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Originally posted by tipsy mcgee
I heard Drift Inn was also out in the Patuxent. Anyone hear about the places down at Sandgates? I know Shymansky's at Cobb Island took a terrible hit and not sure if they'll come back. Capt. John's also took a hit but most water damage, I hear. Chappelear's in Benedict also is gone I hear.
I heard that Seabreeze bit the bullet too.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Drift Inn will reopen next season, he's already started re-building. Evans will reopen, he temp. laid off employees for like a month or so and Oakwood is not planning on reopening.

joedancer

bookman
I ran into Frank Toth, former owner who still lived upstairs (I used to live a couple of doors down). It is destroyed and will not be rebuilt. It is not that he sold it but rather that his son or son in law was taking it over as Frank was wanting to retire.
I heard from someone else that Evans and the Oakwood might go in together on a new restaurant. I do not know if this part is true.
Interesting note: Frank said that a person was stung by a jellyfish in his parking lot!
Joe

Ken King

PREMO Member
That's a shame. I have some very fond memories at Oakwood, since the 90s as a restaurant and as a wild partying bar with kickass bands back in the mid 70s. Frank and Jean were always gracious hosts. I hope the boys do start up somewhere else.

K

Kizzy

I heard Drift Inn was also out in the Patuxent.

They have a picture of the place on the front of the rag, and inside about mid way thru the magazine, there was an advertisement for dinner specials.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I ran into Frank Toth, former owner who still lived upstairs (I used to live a couple of doors down). It is destroyed and will not be rebuilt. It is not that he sold it but rather that his son or son in law was taking it over as Frank was wanting to retire.
I heard from someone else that Evans and the Oakwood might go in together on a new restaurant. I do not know if this part is true.
Interesting note: Frank said that a person was stung by a jellyfish in his parking lot!
Joe
Frank has passed. Thanks for introduction to Black Diamond steak and all the yummy meals and good times over the years. Rest in peace.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Frank has passed. Thanks for introduction to Black Diamond steak and all the yummy meals and good times over the years. Rest in peace.

aww damn...Frank and Jeanne were great friends of mine but we've had little contact in recent years. Frank and I almost became business partners in two different ventures, one of which I'm eternally grateful I bailed on (the little marina he had on St. George's Island) and one I'll always regret not investing in. (the development of his property surrounding and including the lodge and apartments). RIP Frank..we had a lot of fun...and you ran a great restaurant.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Honestly, I thought he had passed a few years ago.

I wonder what Rick's doing these days.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Good question. After the Torpedo Grill debacle....I lost touch with him. He had SO much talent..he stood up Chief's , Gridiron, Riverside...and on and on...loved that boy like my own.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Good question. After the Torpedo Grill debacle....I lost touch with him. He had SO much talent..he stood up Chief's , Gridiron, Riverside...and on and on...loved that boy like my own.

I ran into Frankie (Frank Jr.) back in October and he said Rick was working down south but I don't remember exactly where now. It may have been Florida.