Obama says it doesn't matter if you don't like the Democrat candidate.

This_person

This is not a new sentiment. Many people voted against Clinton, not for Trump. It's not that weird an edict from a political party to vote for that political party instead of for a candidate.

It's one of the many reasons why political parties are the problem, not the solution.

transporter

SamSpade

This is not a new sentiment. Many people voted against Clinton, not for Trump. It's not that weird an edict from a political party to vote for that political party instead of for a candidate.

It's one of the many reasons why political parties are the problem, not the solution.

You're not wrong. I have to admit, I've only ever cast one vote for President where I was absolutely voting for the man, and not against an opponent.

Sadly - that was Ross Perot. I didn't vote for Reagan, missed '84 and '88 elections, voted for Perot, voted against Bill in '96 - and it's pretty much been that ever since. But I would have voted for anyone against Hillary.

Bear in mind - although I am definitely conservative, I'm still a registered Democrat. Unfortunately, the days of the Blue Dogs are long gone - the party I registered with forty years ago isn't even close to one I'd vote for now, and I've long stopped voting in the primaries, because they no longer field candidates I'd choose.

This_person

You're not wrong. I have to admit, I've only ever cast one vote for President where I was absolutely voting for the man, and not against an opponent.

Sadly - that was Ross Perot. I didn't vote for Reagan, missed '84 and '88 elections, voted for Perot, voted against Bill in '96 - and it's pretty much been that ever since. But I would have voted for anyone against Hillary.

Bear in mind - although I am definitely conservative, I'm still a registered Democrat. Unfortunately, the days of the Blue Dogs are long gone - the party I registered with forty years ago isn't even close to one I'd vote for now, and I've long stopped voting in the primaries, because they no longer field candidates I'd choose.
To me, the most telling part of your post is that the one time you voted FOR someone instead of AGAINST someone was when you voted for someone NOT in a political party.

SamSpade

To me, the most telling part of your post is that the one time you voted FOR someone instead of AGAINST someone was when you voted for someone NOT in a political party.

You know what's a shame? I think Reagan was a GREAT President. In 1980, I easily bought into the idea he was a bumbling idiot who couldn't find his ass with both hands and a flashlight. I've learned since then that Republicans are ALWAYS portrayed that way.

WingsOfGold

Sure doesn't. He was only the man's VP for eight years, and he can't say anything about it?
Actually it was meant sarcastically BUT truth is they ALL suck, Bloomberg added a bit more sukkeyness to the party so the inept pos is stuck with endorsing the eventual winner whomever it might be.