Obama to Soldiers: Pay Up!

Odessa78

The Obama administration on Friday threatened to veto a defense appropriations bill in part because it does not include higher health care fees for members of the military.

“The Administration is disappointed that the Congress did not incorporate the requested TRICARE fee initiatives into either the appropriation or authorization legislation,” the White House wrote in an official policy statement expressing opposition to the bill, which the House approved in May.

President Obama’s most recent budget proposal includes billions of dollars in higher fees for members of TRICARE, the military health care system, and is part of the administration’s plan to cut nearly $500 billion from the Pentagon’s budget.

Some fear the administration’s proposal is an effort to increase enrollment in the state-run insurance exchanges mandated under the president’s controversial health care law.

The administration urged the House to “reconsider” to fee increase, arguing they are “essential for DOD to successfully address rising personnel costs.”

The House bill has significant bipartisan support, and easily passed by a margin of 299 to 120.

Obama to Soldiers: Pay Up | Washington Free Beacon

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
The Obama administration on Friday threatened to veto a defense appropriations bill in part because it does not include higher health care fees for members of the military.

“The Administration is disappointed that the Congress did not incorporate the requested TRICARE fee initiatives into either the appropriation or authorization legislation,” the White House wrote in an official policy statement expressing opposition to the bill, which the House approved in May.

President Obama’s most recent budget proposal includes billions of dollars in higher fees for members of TRICARE, the military health care system, and is part of the administration’s plan to cut nearly $500 billion from the Pentagon’s budget.

Some fear the administration’s proposal is an effort to increase enrollment in the state-run insurance exchanges mandated under the president’s controversial health care law.

The administration urged the House to “reconsider” to fee increase, arguing they are “essential for DOD to successfully address rising personnel costs.”

The House bill has significant bipartisan support, and easily passed by a margin of 299 to 120.

Cha-Ching! Another issue for November 6th, 2012.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I'm under Medicare and Tricare for Life. Wonder how they are gonna screw me on this.

The question should be, how long your life should be, and whether any choice made by you would be relevant under this monstrosity.

Think about it. Please. Tell all. Especially all those you know that voted for this current jerk in the WH.....

November 6th, November 6th, Noh-vem-burr 6th....

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I signed on the line and gave 22yrs of my life to this country with a promise of retirement pay and affordable healthcare for life after I retire. Now this administration wants to change the deal? Bull $h1t!!!!!

Go ahead change the deal, but not for those who did thier time. Take away retirement, raise heathcare fees for the military and we'll see how many volunteer to serve this great country.

November 6th, November 6th, Noh-vem-burr 6th.... can't come soon enough!

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I signed on the line and gave 22yrs of my life to this country with a promise of retirement pay and affordable healthcare for life after I retire. Now this administration wants to change the deal? Bull $h1t!!!!!

Go ahead change the deal, but not for those who did thier time. Take away retirement, raise heathcare fees for the military and we'll see how many volunteer to serve this great country.

November 6th, November 6th, Noh-vem-burr 6th.... can't come soon enough!

Please, please, please - rekindle all your connections, family and friends, reactivate all acquaintances to what is happening.

VOTE. VOTE. VOTE. NOVEMBER 6TH. And I do love my Noh-vem-burr 6th.....

Get this jerk out of the WH. Along with his lip-synching, butt-bumping, groin-grinding minions......

And those are just in the general media......

Myuzishin

As a retiree covered under Tricare, I'm certainly appreciative of the benefits I am fortunate to be able to take advantage of, and I support continued efforts from ALL sides to care for our Vets and repay them for their selfless service to Our Great Nation.

Equally, I recognize that Our Great Nation's economic woes put our status of Great Nation in jeopardy more and more each day. As the economy worsens, it's impact on EVERY aspect of our lives increases, and the hole gets deeper. The choices we can make today are likely to be far less painful than those that will be forced upon us if we do nothing for another 5 or 10 years.

As an overall benefits package, Tricare continues to be ridiculously INexpensive compared to vitually every other plan in existance. Considering the number of people covered by Tricare and the cost of implementing, managing and maintaining the quality we ALL expect our Vets to receive, it's not difficult to understand that if the fees never increase while the costs related to the program do, it's going to suffer greatly. That will undoubtedly lead to decreased benefits, reduced quality, and myriad other troubles not only for our Vets and their families, but for the program (and our Military) as a whole. There must be balance, and if the fees don't keep up with the costs, the whole thing will fall. Likewise, you get what you pay for.

As for who's to blame for the proposed increases, this isn't Obama's idea. It started with a couple of Senators (among them John McCain) who, under pressure from the Tricare lobby (that's right) introduced the bill. Of course, there's no holding Obama blameless since his economic cluster**** has made the proposed increases necessary. Unfortunately for all involved, if the fees aren't increased, Obama's economic policies have made it impossible to secure the money from any other source.

Legislatively, I'd like to see the bill stand on its own, rather than be attached to some other legislation like the Congress is habitually prone to do. Additionally, the legislation needs to include cost-saving measures (fighting fraud and waste, etc) in order to keep any fee increase to its absolute minimum.

I'm very fortunate in that I could afford a fee increase with virtually no impact on my economic situation, and would be more than willing to do so if it plays a role in keeping the Tricare program as great as it is or better. I do understand, tho, that not everybody is in the same situation, so their reluctance to have the fees increased would be greater than mine. But at some point, we have to recognize that something (or someone) has got to give. If not, something will be taken.

Last edited:

Vince

Knew this was coming as soon as they blessed obamacare. It's automatic to squeeze money from the military. They don't get much of a paycheck as it is, they have to pay for
Tricare and the gov't / obamy wants more. What a bunch of crap.

Giantone

As a retiree covered under Tricare, I'm certainly appreciative of the benefits I am fortunate to be able to take advantage of, and I support continued efforts from ALL sides to care for our Vets and repay them for their selfless service to Our Great Nation.

Equally, I recognize that Our Great Nation's economic woes put our status of Great Nation in jeopardy more and more each day. As the economy worsens, it's impact on EVERY aspect of our lives increases, and the hole gets deeper. The choices we can make today are likely to be far less painful than those that will be forced upon us if we do nothing for another 5 or 10 years.

As an overall benefits package, Tricare continues to be ridiculously INexpensive compared to vitually every other plan in existance. Considering the number of people covered by Tricare and the cost of implementing, managing and maintaining the quality we ALL expect our Vets to receive, it's not difficult to understand that if the fees never increase while the costs related to the program do, it's going to suffer greatly. That will undoubtedly lead to decreased benefits, reduced quality, and myriad other troubles not only for our Vets and their families, but for the program (and our Military) as a whole. There must be balance, and if the fees don't keep up with the costs, the whole thing will fall. Likewise, you get what you pay for.

As for who's to blame for the proposed increases, this isn't Obama's idea. It started with a couple of Senators (among them John McCain) who, under pressure from the Tricare lobby (that's right) introduced the bill. Of course, there's no holding Obama blameless since his economic cluster*** has made the proposed increases necessary. Unfortunately for all involved, if the fees aren't increased, Obama's economic policies have made it impossible to secure the money from any other source.

Legislatively, I'd like to see the bill stand on its own, rather than be attached to some other legislation like the Congress is habitually prone to do. Additionally, the legislation needs to include cost-saving measures (fighting fraud and waste, etc) in order to keep any fee increase to its absolute minimum.

I'm very fortunate in that I could afford a fee increase with virtually no impact on my economic situation, and would be more than willing to do so if it plays a role in keeping the Tricare program as great as it is or better. I do understand, tho, that not everybody is in the same situation, so their reluctance to have the fees increased would be greater than mine. But at some point, we have to recognize that something (or someone) has got to give. If not, something will be taken.

Great post and ...Thank You for your service.

thurley42

HY;FR
Please, please, please - rekindle all your connections, family and friends, reactivate all acquaintances to what is happening.

VOTE. VOTE. VOTE. NOVEMBER 6TH. And I do love my Noh-vem-burr 6th.....

Get this jerk out of the WH. Along with his lip-synching, butt-bumping, groin-grinding minions......

And those are just in the general media......

One I'm def agreeing with you on. I'm spreading the word throughout all of my networks and contacts.

I don't get too ruffled by most things but this crap cannot stand.

MSTR-P

As for who's to blame for the proposed increases, this isn't Obama's idea. It started with a couple of Senators (among them John McCain) who, under pressure from the Tricare lobby (that's right) introduced the bill. Of course, there's no holding Obama blameless since his economic cluster**** has made the proposed increases necessary. Unfortunately for all involved, if the fees aren't increased, Obama's economic policies have made it impossible to secure the money from any other source.

Fellow retiree and I agree that in order for the standards of service to exceed what we have come to expect, we need to pay increases along the way; however, the rates just increased in October 2011. I don't believe the current administration should increase the Tricare fees again just because their leader can't balance a check book.

DEEKAYPEE8569

If our war vets are required to pay for their healthcare, it SHOULD be d*mn near nothing; but IMO, ALL war vets should not have to pay a dime.

Yeah, everybody's taxes might go up; but it's a small price, don't you think?

PsyOps

Pixelated
As usual, the ones that sacrifice the most are expected to sacrifice even more.

You know, there are a lot of folks in the military that voted for Obama and these liberals that have so little regard for our military. I wonder what they'll do this time around. I just can't believe they'd keep voting for the people that aim to destroy all that was promised them.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Would scrapping the VA health system and moving everyone eligible for VA health Care to Tri-Care save more money than increasing fees?

I believe so..

Of course than they would have to whittle down who is actually eligible for health care.. Not sure I agree that someone that did 2 years in the service, came away unscathed, should be allowed to use the VA when they get the sniffles either...

PsyOps

Pixelated
Fellow retiree and I agree that in order for the standards of service to exceed what we have come to expect, we need to pay increases along the way; however, the rates just increased in October 2011. I don't believe the current administration should increase the Tricare fees again just because their leader can't balance a check book.

You sound like you’re a politician. You do realize there was a promise to retirees that health insurance would be fully covered by the government in which we served. My mom worked for the state of MD for 23 years. She earned her full benefits and pays nothing into her health insurance. Why is this different for the military? I’ll tell you why, because it’s what our government does to the easiest target to jack up costs for. For those do the most in our society get paid the least.

Bottom line… WE – retirees – many of us – paid dearly in service to our country. We shouldn’t have to pay ANYTHING in addition to what we have already paid. Our government should stand by its promises and stop screwing our retirees.

And I’ll say another thing… We have men and women coming back maimed and dead. We have to have charities like “The Wounded Warrior’s Project” to supplement what the government FAILS to provide. The people losing arms, legs, eyes, mental capabilities, etc… are virtually left to fend for themselves. We should NEVER have to rely on charities to get them through their struggles. Every one of them for their priceless sacrifice should be put up in mansions with every available accommodation known to man to help in their daily lives. Instead our government abandons them. Some of them live in decrepit conditions, some even homeless. They should not have to work another day of their lives unless they want to. When our members of congress merit themselves pensions and lifetime health insurance, even from serving just one term, virtually doing nothing but cause more problems in society, yet they leave our true heroes stranded and broken.

The whole thing should make every American sick as to how our veterans are treated.

MSTR-P

You sound like you’re a politician. You do realize there was a promise to retirees that health insurance would be fully covered by the government in which we served. My mom worked for the state of MD for 23 years. She earned her full benefits and pays nothing into her health insurance. Why is this different for the military? I’ll tell you why, because it’s what our government does to the easiest target to jack up costs for. For those do the most in our society get paid the least.

Bottom line… WE – retirees – many of us – paid dearly in service to our country. We shouldn’t have to pay ANYTHING in addition to what we have already paid. Our government should stand by its promises and stop screwing our retirees.

And I’ll say another thing… We have men and women coming back maimed and dead. We have to have charities like “The Wounded Warrior’s Project” to supplement what the government FAILS to provide. The people losing arms, legs, eyes, mental capabilities, etc… are virtually left to fend for themselves. We should NEVER have to rely on charities to get them through their struggles. Every one of them for their priceless sacrifice should be put up in mansions with every available accommodation known to man to help in their daily lives. Instead our government abandons them. Some of them live in decrepit conditions, some even homeless. They should not have to work another day of their lives unless they want to. When our members of congress merit themselves pensions and lifetime health insurance, even from serving just one term, virtually doing nothing but cause more problems in society, yet they leave our true heroes stranded and broken.

The whole thing should make every American sick as to how our veterans are treated.

Politician...No, I am not. I am probably to young, but I don't remember the promise of full medical benefits made (with no premium) to folks after they retire (under normal conditions) from the military? A few folks I served with, that were medically retired due to combat related injuries, don't pay at all for any of their medical services, and that is the way it should be; however, I retired with zero disability (lucky) and in my opinion, should pay a premium to continue my Tricare medical coverage.

I certainly agree with you and the way our government is treating our wounded veterans, and programs like the WWP are indeed needed and do a fantastic job representing our guys/gals that require assistance.

As far as your Mom's situation (state vs federal govt)...years ago, benefits were different. I work with folks that don't have Social Security taken out of their paychecks, because back when they started, you could opt out and just never submit a claim. Things are different now...retirement plans have changed and unless you were in before and got "grandfathered" you fall under the new system.

Veterans deserve our utmost respect and admiration. Disabled veterans should be cared for their entire lives and like you stated, should never have to work again, unless they choose.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I might be misreading you but here goes anyway .....lots of folks in the MILITARY that voted for Obama and are liberals have little regard for the MILITARY?

No offense but there are a lot of reasons we liberals have served and will probably continue to serve but I never heard anyone say - they serve because they have little regard for the military and double double no offense but raising TRICARE premiums is not a new idea that started with Obama. Bush brought it up three times and it was rejected three times.

I apparently worded that very poorly.

With an extreme few exceptions our military do not fall into that category simply because they voted for Obama. I was talking about our politicians.

This isn’t strictly about TriCare. Progressive liberals traditionally have been outspoken in their loathing of the military. They are the ones who you see protesting our wars and spitting on our vets. They’re the ones that will sue you for flying your flag in your yard. They are the ones you see burning our flag. They are the ones that you see asking “All this just for a flag?”

And perhaps I should be more clear… I would encourage our military folks and vets to vote out anyone – D or R – that perpetuates the growing plight of our military and their dwindling benefits. Currently we have a very liberal president that seems bent on further eroding our military’s rightfully earned benefits.

Never once do I ever want to even infer that any of our military – liberal or conservative – serve with less honor and duty simply because of who they voted for. As a retiree I served under Reagan, HW, Clinton, and W and I didn’t serve with any less seriousness under any president over the other. I am now a military contractor and do my job with all seriousness regardless of who is in that WH. Regadless of whether I disagree with their politics, that president derserves my aboslute dedication to helping our DoD protect this country. My politics never interfered in my service. And I believe this is the case with all of our members.

But, if you have politicians bent on eroding our benefits while protecting their own, then they have to go.

BTW… no offense taken.