Obama to Soldiers: Pay Up!

PsyOps

Pixelated
Politician...No, I am not. I am probably to young, but I don't remember the promise of full medical benefits made (with no premium) to folks after they retire (under normal conditions) from the military? A few folks I served with, that were medically retired due to combat related injuries, don't pay at all for any of their medical services, and that is the way it should be; however, I retired with zero disability (lucky) and in my opinion, should pay a premium to continue my Tricare medical coverage.

I certainly agree with you and the way our government is treating our wounded veterans, and programs like the WWP are indeed needed and do a fantastic job representing our guys/gals that require assistance.

As far as your Mom's situation (state vs federal govt)...years ago, benefits were different. I work with folks that don't have Social Security taken out of their paychecks, because back when they started, you could opt out and just never submit a claim. Things are different now...retirement plans have changed and unless you were in before and got "grandfathered" you fall under the new system.

Veterans deserve our utmost respect and admiration. Disabled veterans should be cared for their entire lives and like you stated, should never have to work again, unless they choose.

There are members that, when they retired, were getting full government-provided healthcare. Now they have to pay. There were those that joined when it was government-provided and told (promised) that one of the benefits of retiring would be ‘free’ medical care. That turned out not to be. It sounds like you fall under the second category.

I’m not going to try to convince you that we shouldn’t have to pay. Our premiums are quite low comparatively, and I have no complaints about the service I get with TriCare. But the bigger concern is how, as is with the way our government does thing in small pieces as if not to be noticeable, a lot of us can see our benefits slowly eroding. Raising premiums, when we were promised ‘free’ care. Dental is gone. Talks about doing away with the retirement pension and going to a 401k system.

They are destroying any incentive for career military :shrug:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Yes they did. For folks that retired on or after October 1, 2011 pay a higher premium for the same coverage as those who retired prior to that.

Or choose the Tri-Care option that doesn't cost a thing until you use it..

MSTR-P

Or choose the Tri-Care option that doesn't cost a thing until you use it..

Not aware of this coverage. I thought there were only two choices...Prime and Standard, until you hit 65. Both have an annual fee. Tell me more please.

Pete

Repete
Not aware of this coverage. I thought there were only two choices...Prime and Standard, until you hit 65. Both have an annual fee. Tell me more please.

Standard does not. If you don't use it, it doesn't cost a thing.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Standard does not. If you don't use it, it doesn't cost a thing.

:yeahthat:

Then you get a supplemental plan that covers most, if not all, any other costs..

I BELIEVE with Prime, even with the monthly fees there is still a deductible, in patient fees, and portions you have to pay out of pocket?

Pete

Repete

Then you get a supplemental plan that covers most, if not all, any other costs..

I BELIEVE with Prime, even with the monthly fees there is still a deductible, in patient fees, and portions you have to pay out of pocket?

See this is the thing that I do not understand. For years they have been trying to up the fees and co-pays on Tricare plans because "It is too expensive" and it is eating up the DoD budget. Then they turn around and want to cover everyone else. Isn't that going to cost even more?

About 5 years ago the government took the extreme step of OUTLAWING Tricare supplements offered as a benefit by an employer. YES ladies and gentlemen, the government......the same government that wants to insure EVERYONE made illegal a health care offering. The reason was to force Tricare recipients to move to private insurance. This made the private insurance the first payer and Tricare the secondary.

I am like the other guy in this thread and think that as an American first and a retired service member second, I have to sacrifice some too and understand the need to pony up more for the awesome insurance I have. What chaps me is that for years they say those who signed up and served cost them too much, yet it is cost effective to cover all those who did not?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
About 5 years ago the government took the extreme step of OUTLAWING Tricare supplements offered as a benefit by an employer. YES ladies and gentlemen, the government......the same government that wants to insure EVERYONE made illegal a health care offering. The reason was to force Tricare recipients to move to private insurance. This made the private insurance the first payer and Tricare the secondary.

All true, but they reversed (kind of) the law..

GOV'T employees can no longer be offered Supplemental insurance for Tri-Care through gov't insurance options, but everyone elses employers can..

Pete

Repete
All true, but they reversed (kind of) the law..

GOV'T employees can no longer be offered Supplemental insurance for Tri-Care through gov't insurance options, but everyone elses employers can..

Really? I believe all employers are forbidden from offering Tracare Supplements. you can pay for them off the open market but no employer can subsidize the policy.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Really? I believe all employers are forbidden from offering Tracare Supplements. you can pay for them off the open market but no employer can subsidize the policy.

We got ours last year through SAIC..

It was offered as part of their benefits.

Giantone

I said it before and I want to say it again ,Thank You to All that have served and are serving now ,Thank You for your sacrifice.
I have 2 son-In/laws both in the military...one a Marine the other Army and both Sergeants ....and I will tell you it's not that they love Obama....it's just that the GOP has nothing to offer and they ...and like it or not many of their friends are going with Obama.:patriot::patriot::patriot:

Last edited:

MSTR-P

That is true...we pay $12.00 for office visits and $30.00 for ER with Prime...along with prescriptions if we fill them at Rite Aid.

What is the cost of a good supplemental plan versus going with Prime?

MSTR-P

I said it before and I want to say it again ,Thank You to All that have served and are serving now ,Thank You for your sacrifice.
I have 2 son-In/laws both in the military...one a Marine the other Army and both sargents....and I will tell you it's not that they love Obama....it's just that the GOP has nothing to offer and they ...and like it or not many of their friends are going with Obama.:patriot::patriot::patriot:

I am certain they would want you to spell it Sergeant.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I am certain they would want you to spell it Sergeant.

Hey, the US educational system. Since when does spelling count when so many in power, media included, still cannot comprehend that words do have meanings, including the current SCOTUS?

If the Constitution, and its words, phrases, sentences and paragraphs as constructed, mean nothing to those who are to interpret the law only, what does it matter how it is spelled?

Amerika r us! And most of us be high school grads!

Lock 'n load, Amerika!

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
That is true...we pay $12.00 for office visits and $30.00 for ER with Prime...along with prescriptions if we fill them at Rite Aid.

What is the cost of a good supplemental plan versus going with Prime?

Going through her employer it was $170 a month, it's closer to $100 if you go straight to the provider..

I don't think we've paid more than $20 (total accrued) out of pocket since getting it. Hospital stays 100%, prescriptions100% (but the pharmacies for some reason have issues processing claims).

Had BCBS but as mentioned before you gain NOTHING by having it.. Tri-Care pays 75%, if your primary pays 75% Tri-Care pays nothing. Your out of pocket stays the same even though you're paying >$300 a month for additional insurance.

MSTR-P

Going through her employer it was $170 a month, it's closer to $100 if you go straight to the provider..

I don't think we've paid more than $20 (total accrued) out of pocket since getting it. Hospital stays 100%, prescriptions100% (but the pharmacies for some reason have issues processing claims).

Had BCBS but as mentioned before you gain NOTHING by having it.. Tri-Care pays 75%, if your primary pays 75% Tri-Care pays nothing. Your out of pocket stays the same even though you're paying >$300 a month for additional insurance.

WOW...that is a ton. I will be staying with Prime. Thanks for the info.