Obama to Soldiers: Pay Up!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
WOW...that is a ton. I will be staying with Prime. Thanks for the info.

Well, I guess the other question would be what are the costs of Prime AFTER you pay your annual fees?

Is there a deductible? Office visit costs? How much inpatient costs are covered etc.. etc..

Without the supplemental Tricare Standard covers quite a bit (not 100% how accurate I am here) but there is a family deductible of $300 or individual deductible of $150 every year before Tri-Care starts to pay.. I think it's $5 or $10 for prescriptions (that I don't have to wait 3 hours for).

I'm not familiar with Prime as I was using Tri-Care Standard/ Champus even when I was on active duty stationed away from a military base.

Pete

Repete
Well, I guess the other question would be what are the costs of Prime AFTER you pay your annual fees?

Is there a deductible? Office visit costs? How much inpatient costs are covered etc.. etc..

Without the supplemental Tricare Standard covers quite a bit (not 100% how accurate I am here) but there is a family deductible of $300 or individual deductible of $150 every year before Tri-Care starts to pay.. I think it's $5 or $10 for prescriptions (that I don't have to wait 3 hours for).

I'm not familiar with Prime as I was using Tri-Care Standard/ Champus even when I was on active duty stationed away from a military base.

This is correct, $300 annual deductable, prescriptions are $5, or $10, and 20% of allowed charges for everything else. Allowed charges mean if they take Tricare they can say the cost of an MRI is $5,000 but Tricare only allows $1200, Tricare pays $960 you pay $240 up to the catastrophic cap of $3,000.

I got a fish hook stuck in my thumb last year. After my drunk friends tried 4 or 5 times to yank it out and the EMT at the fire house tried twice to twist it out I ended up going to the Emergency room where they shot my thumb up and yanked it out. Cost charged by the various people was about $5,000. Tricare paid a total of $1,200. Both numbers to me are retarded. Charging $5,000 is laughable and paying $1,200 is stupid. THAT is why there needs to be reform. When I am king, health insurance will only be policies that cover when you reach $5,000. Everything below $5,000 will be a cash business. No insurance, no grifting, no trumped up bills and if you get caught doing fraud you get a finger cut off with pruning shears. That will bring your day to day health costs down and still allow coverage for catastrophic illness/injury. Basically what you have now is a stupid game of cat and mouse between doctors, hospitals and insurance companies. Obamacare did NOTHING to fix the situation, all it did was force the ####ty situation and costs onto a wider group.

MSTR-P

Costs are a small fraction of what I would pay with Standard and a supplemental. Deductible is zero, Office visits are $12.00, ER is $30.00, Hospitalization is $11.00 a day...the list goes on and on.

Thanks for the info!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Costs are a small fraction of what I would pay with Standard and a supplemental. Deductible is zero, Office visits are $12.00, ER is $30.00, Hospitalization is $11.00 a day...the list goes on and on.

Thanks for the info!

True, and you're welcome.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Going through her employer it was $170 a month, it's closer to $100 if you go straight to the provider..

I don't think we've paid more than $20 (total accrued) out of pocket since getting it. Hospital stays 100%, prescriptions100% (but the pharmacies for some reason have issues processing claims).

Had BCBS but as mentioned before you gain NOTHING by having it.. Tri-Care pays 75%, if your primary pays 75% Tri-Care pays nothing. Your out of pocket stays the same even though you're paying >$300 a month for additional insurance.

Just a question for you, itsbob: I'm retired Navy Reserve that cannot draw retirement until I turn 60 (June 2014). I'm also retired CSRS and have a health plan through CSRS for retirees. Would it benefit me at all to take both TriCare, when I am eligible for it, and my CSRS health plan? Or just one or the other?

Reading all these posts is pretty confusing on which is the best of both worlds.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Just a question for you, itsbob: I'm retired Navy Reserve that cannot draw retirement until I turn 60 (June 2014). I'm also retired CSRS and have a health plan through CSRS for retirees. Would it benefit me at all to take both TriCare, when I am eligible for it, and my CSRS health plan? Or just one or the other?

Reading all these posts is pretty confusing on which is the best of both worlds.

Not familiar with CSRS but congratulations..

I've been told that CSRS beats FERS hands down.. but know nothing about CSRS.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Not familiar with CSRS but congratulations..

I've been told that CSRS beats FERS hands down.. but know nothing about CSRS.

I believe CSRS and FERS both have the same plans to choose from upon retirement. My basic question was how does TRICARE fit into the equation - as a primary or secondary insurance?

Pete

Repete

I'm not Bob but remember Tricare, or any federal health care offering must, by law be the secondary payer IF you have any other heal care insurance. If you have Blue Cross it is the first payer and then Tricare.

To me it makes no sense at all to care another full health care policy if you are eligible for Tricare. Even with Standard you are capped at $3K out of pocket. Would th ecost of the other policy be more than $3K?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I'm not Bob but remember Tricare, or any federal health care offering must, by law be the secondary payer IF you have any other heal care insurance. If you have Blue Cross it is the first payer and then Tricare.

To me it makes no sense at all to care another full health care policy if you are eligible for Tricare. Even with Standard you are capped at $3K out of pocket. Would th ecost of the other policy be more than $3K?

Yes, my current insurance - NALC - (Cigna) does cost more than $three grand per year. I will have to look into that.

Thanks, Pete-bob.