"Obama would have handled COVID better"

itsbob

I bowl overhand
We do need to point t out after Ebola Obama sent teams to places like NYC, inventoried emergency supplies, and told them, "You don't have what is necessary, you need more!" Sent them funds to cover some of it, and in return they did none of it.

The governors and state governments were derelict in their duty to protect their states even after what they needed was pointed out to them.

But being this is a STATE issue more then a Federal issue doesn't really matter who the President is.. it wouldn't have gone any better.. very easily could have been much worse, but doubt it could have gone any better with what our starting point was.

Louise

We do need to point t out after Ebola Obama sent teams to places like NYC, inventoried emergency supplies, and told them, "You don't have what is necessary, you need more!" Sent them funds to cover some of it, and in return they did none of it.

The governors and state governments were derelict in their duty to protect their states even after what they needed was pointed out to them.

But being this is a STATE issue more then a Federal issue doesn't really matter who the President is.. it wouldn't have gone any better.. very easily could have been much worse, but doubt it could have gone any better with what our starting point was.

It is all political crap. But, one thing is if we had a Dem prez right now, it would have been worse. Stay vigilante, and safe.

Last edited:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

herb749

Now if this was a 1st term Obama and up for election, and the economy could sink his chance at a 2nd term, how would Dems handle that. Would they want the country up & running as soon as possible. Or continue their hunker down policy even if it costs him the election.

I can guess which way they go.

SkylarkTempest

Your point was meaningless.

My point was that Vrai's claim that 22,000 people would die of COVID by May 1st was misguided at the time she made it, and demonstrably false now.

At 23,000 now. Based on the recently evident inflection point in the curves (second derivative has finally gone consistently negative), it's now safe to start guessing that the peak could be between 40K and 50K

You agreed with my meaningless point earlier in the thread. Adjusted estimates put us at upwards of 130,000 now. Keep running those concavity tests, buddy! Kisses.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Keep running those concavity tests, buddy! Kisses.

First derivative still quite positive in all curves, although most of them have been flirting with negative-value, or at least zero, second derivatives for some time now.

And thanks for the offer, but I don't roll that way.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why aren’t the local obits reflecting 300% increase every 3 minutes?

Because the canard that everyone is dying of COVID is a lie. Anyone who tests positive, or shows even a slightest symptom, is put down as a COVID death regardless of what actually killed them. Hospitals and cities are getting money to "battle the virus" and they are fudging their numbers to get on the federal gravy train.

SkylarkTempest

Because the canard that everyone is dying of COVID is a lie. Anyone who tests positive, or shows even a slightest symptom, is put down as a COVID death regardless of what actually killed them. Hospitals and cities are getting money to "battle the virus" and they are fudging their numbers to get on the federal gravy train.

Me: I'll take Dunning-Kruger for $300, Alex.
Alex: And the answer is "A post by vraiblonde."
Me: What is a baseless claim?
Alex: Correct!

SkylarkTempest

Why aren’t the local obits reflecting 300% increase every 3 minutes?

That's an interesting figure...

Anyhoo, the data are all preliminary at this point, and a rise in obituaries wouldn't necessarily be solid evidence of an increase in death rates, especially during lockdown. But here's two anecdotes for you from the US and Italy.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/media/boston-globe-death-notices-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

https://news.sky.com/video/obituari...ise-in-coronavirus-deaths-in-bergamo-11957768

Last edited:

22AcaciaAve

I don't think anyone would have handled it much better if any better. I was working for a microbiology company during the Sars, H1n1, and Mers outbreaks and quite honestly it was only by luck that none of those outbreaks turned out to be as contagious or as wide spread at that time. It was at that time that health care experts made it very well known to both Bush and Obama that the country's medical supply stockpile was probably not even 20% of what would actually be needed in a true pandemic. Neither did much about it. The country's telework infrastructure also wasn't as good during the Sars and H1n1 outbreaks. Being in IT we discussed who would be considered essential vs. non-essential employees to keep our company running.

I do think Trump's initial reaction to shut things down was correct. But he should have seen it through just a little while longer. From a political standpoint his pushing reopening is probably a little too soon. The economy is already damaged. That occurred when the federal government pushed the shutdown philosophy. There were always going to be those who were going to blame him for that as an over-reaction. But he did have most of those who believed it was the right thing to do on his side, and they outnumbered those who thought it was an over-reaction. Now if cases and deaths increase he's going to lose a bunch of them. He was just a little too impatient. If he wasn't prepared to stay the full course he should have never shut it down in the first place and just let the chips fall where they may. He's hoping the economy will come back fully by November, but that isn't going to happen. The country's psyche has been changed. This election is going to be a lot about the pandemic, and he's put himself in a position where neither side of the shutdown argument is going to be very happy with his actions.