Off to college

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
We are sending the oldest off to college this week as long as his second COVID test comes back negative again. The first kids start moving in today for pre-orientation but we found out last nigy around 2145 or so that if you did not have your 2 negative test results, then don't bother showing up. I've read on the parents FB page that there are quite a few students in the class of '24 that either flew in yesterday or are flying today. Lemme tell ya, those are some un happy folks. The school will accept a rapid test from anywhere but the trouble is finding a facility that will do a rapid test without a compelling reason and going to college doesn't make the grade.

The LW is learning the new software/platform for the county schools on top of going through the process of sending her first born away, then we got that email last night. #GoodTimes

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Congratulations!

So do you have the second test scheduled or is that what this post is about?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It's crazy out there. Two weeks ago we had to scramble to move my elderly mother from her comfy apartment in my sister's house in southern VA up to my other sisters place in WV. Reason: Sis and her daughter that still lives at home are both school teachers and were told to return to school to prepare their classrooms for students. All sorts of protocols to be followed and PPE and sanitizers to be purchased..all on their own nickle. We couldn't risk having Mom stay there with two teachers going to and from classrooms full of kids every day.

So today....it looks like the school board is going to meet in emergency session and delay opening their schools for at least 2 months. Argh.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Move in day if such a CF. I remember watching it unfold, thinking there has to be a better way. The school had to know and yet they apparently didn't stagger the move ins nor make any other adjustments to un**** the situation. I don't envy anyone involved in that evolution.

kom526

Congratulations!

So do you have the second test scheduled or is that what this post is about?
We sent the second test out via UPS overnight on Friday, the lab has it and is "processing" it now. The school provided both of the at home tests which is great but the manner in which we have been instructed to return the tests has been a show. We received the second test kit on August 4 and were told that we need to submit it on August 8. On August 6, awh, we received an email saying that the plan had changed and we needed to get his test in immediately, which puts us at Friday August 7, UPS next day with a Friday pm pickup. We should have the results this afternoon but we have until Thursday noon to get the results turned into the school.

This is just more of a blow off steam post/thread for me. I'm pretty much over talking to her about it because she is really stressing out over all of this. She also got moved into a different grade to teach for the upcoming virtual year and that crap is a cherry on top.

@Monello - They broke down the move ins to a 2 hour window this year. Usually they have big shindig with luncheons, parent orientations etc but not this year obviously. Hell, just a month a ago they thought they would be able to move in the entire freshman class (998) into their dorms in one day while social distancing.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
And what happens when the student to be is infected enroute to the school? Are they tested upon arrival too?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
And what happens when the student to be is infected enroute to the school? Are they tested upon arrival too?
You can't become infected enroute. Just like you can't become infected after you sit down at your restaurant table...that's why you are then allowed to take your mask off. It's all science. :yay:

kom526

All students and staff will be tested every 10 days once on campus. I'd love to be the part owner of the lab that is processing these tests, even if it's a smallish school. (3800)

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
All students and staff will be tested every 10 days once on campus. I'd love to be the part owner of the lab that is processing these tests, even if it's a smallish school. (3800)
Has the college said anything about charging for the tests? Keep an eye on your insurance. While it's supposed to be free testing, there have been more than a few cases of people getting bills.

kom526

Has the college said anything about charging for the tests? Keep an eye on your insurance. While it's supposed to be free testing, there have been more than a few cases of people getting bills.
I'm sure that next year's tuition increase will take care of the costs being incurred. :lol: I'd like to think that some money to pay can come from their $866.9 MM endowment.

kom526

Another day and another late night email from admin. Now we can do walk up testing at the school and get the results within 8 hours since the lab is backlogged by up to 72 hours. :doh: The school moved the first day of classes up by one week before they had the testing protocols in place and there are some angry parents. At least we only have to drive to campus as opposed to those families that are flying in without having the results from the 2nd test in hand. We're shooting for getting there by 5 so we can walk up for testing then wake up tomorrow with results. All we need now is some calliope music and little tiny cars.

kom526

Move in is complete and he's a college student now. Well officially on Monday at 0730 when he walks into his Calc class. :lmao: Move in was not as bad as I thought it would be other than no elevator in the residence hall. I think it took us a total of 2 hours from opening his door until we finished the last touches for basic living. His roommate arrives at 0700 this morning with the microfridge combo so they'll be hooked. LW got weepy and even I had a couple leakers but he was, "it's ok, I'm good just go." He is definitely more ready for this next adventure than mama.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I remember my first day of college. My mom and dad had already left for work. I got in the car and drove to class an hour away. Back home at 3pm. "How was your first day?" "Eh, just like high school..."

Glad all is going well, Kom.

kom526

All students needed to have 2 negative COVID tests to be issued a key. As previously stated we were waiting on the 2 at home test results to come in so he could move in. Well, no test results came to us and many others so we were in a bind. The school decided to set up on site testing with same day results. We HAULED ASS up the road to make the last window of testing on Wednesday. The weather was definitely against us as we went through 2 torrential downpours on 695 and several accidents. We slung ourselves onto campus at 1630 and testing was complete by 1645. Unfortunately for the boy, the on campus test was the nasal deep dive as opposed to the mid nasal test which sucked for him.

OBTW, we got the results from the 2nd at home test at 1830 that evening which led to us having a very sour 18 year old for a while.

kom526

So has Mama stopped crying yet? :huggy:
She got weepy off and on during the whole ride home. We aren't going to call him until Sunday evening so I'm sure she'll get the waterworks going again.

The boy is in a coed hall dorm and the girl across the hall was moving in at the same time. I think that when we said "HI!" to girl and mom was the moment that mom realized it was a coed hall dorm and not coed floor dorm. 😲 sums up her face.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I never understood the whole getting weepy when your kid goes off on their adult life.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
my parents dropped me off at college (also a dorm without elevators... 3rd floor!) and then took my brothers to Hershey Park on the way home :tantrum