Oh hell Denver

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Is Peyton TOO good?

I ask this as his teams coming up short, shell shocked, in big games is not an anomaly.

I wonder if he isn't so good that teammates, consciously or otherwise, depend on him too much and, as a consequence, lack a sense of urgency or accountability for their own play necessary for the TEAM to help him, to make plays that they might otherwise make if they weren't over confident in him?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Is Peyton TOO good?

I ask this as his teams coming up short, shell shocked, in big games is not an anomaly.

I wonder if he isn't so good that teammates, consciously or otherwise, depend on him too much and, as a consequence, lack a sense of urgency or accountability for their own play necessary for the TEAM to help him, to make plays that they might otherwise make if they weren't over confident in him?

Denver wasn't that bad, Peyton didn't have a "bad day", New England is just THAT good.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Denver wasn't that bad, Peyton didn't have a "bad day", New England is just THAT good.

That's another way of saying the same thing. The Pats don't just have Brady. They return punts for a TD, they don't drop interceptions, they run slick wrinkles at the right time to make a play AND they have Brady.
Is Seattle that good last year with Peyton? Probably not. Denver won a playoff game under Tebow and lost one the following year, Peyton's first.

New England has long been noted for good defense. Seattle, same thing. The Giants were never about just Eli. Far from it. The Steelers, same thing. 49'ers? Great D. Great O line. Cowboys up until jerry Jones ruined them last week? ALL Romo until they began to be noted for a great O line. Even Elway, you think of the JUST JOHN era and then, when they won, a great running game and solid D. Even Peyton's Colts, their one super bowl win, Bob Sanders and that D were critical AND they were running that year.

My point is that ALL of Peyton's teams, year after year, are about him and his receivers except that one year Sanders was healthy all season. All the good teams, the consistently good ones, you instantly think of key features either before you think of the Qb or key features in addition to the QB. Last year, Denver was this juggernaut. No good TEAM gets obliterated like that in the Super bowl, at least not since my guys in Super bowl 18.

I think when you have Peyton, when you are an owner, a coach, a player, there is a tendency to rely on him too much. That doesn't happen with Brady; either they have a good D in a given year and go far or they don't get very far even though they may win a lot in the regular season. They are not a one man band. New England got killed just a few weeks ago at the Chiefs. Brady stepped up but, then, so did everyone else.

Yesterday, the 49ers and the Rams played a FABULOUS football game, team, team, team. The most anticipated game of the season so far, Brady v. Manning, was a blow out by halftime and was not even a contest much past the 1st quarter.

Peyton is amazing but, in the big games, many times, he doesn't seem to have much help. Denver's D is much better than last year and may well rebound from that and be up to a big game come end of season in a rematch but, unless they do, unless they can do to Brady what teams do to Peyton in BIG games, especially against the Pats, I think there is just too much reliance on him from top to bottom.

:buddies: