Ohio girl's lemonade stand near food festival shut down after complaint

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
An 8-year-old girl selling lemonade near an Ohio food festival had her operation shut down by local police after they received a complaint.

Asa Baker was selling lemonade in an alley outside the business where her father works near the Alliance, Ohio Rib and Food Festival last weekend when she says a local police officer asked her to shut down the stand, WJW-TV reported.

"Well, they were really sad that they had to shut me down but they gave me $20 to try and pay for it," Baker said, explaining that the officer gave her $20 for her to use to purchase the needed permit.

Alliance Police Lieutenant Don Wensel told WJW–TV that police received a complaint from festival organizers who seemed to be conflicted about voicing their concerns but ultimately officers are required to enforce local ordinances.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
My dudes, if you can't hack the competition of a little girl's lemonade stand it's time for you to shut it down.

Seriously ... what kind of person calls the police to complain about an 8 yr old girl's lemon-aid stand

well she doesn't have a permit ....

Seriously Mother'fer get a life

Reactions: BOP

SamSpade

You know something? Not to toot my own horn, but when I see a kid selling lemonade, I buy it. Sure, the kid is selling me a penny's worth of lemonade for sometimes a whole dollar - and as it happens, I don't always have CASH.

But there's far worse things a kid can do - and this kid decides to try an earn money in one of the oldest and most traditional ways we know. Ditto if they want to rake my leaves.

Good for him/her. They weren't selling cooked food, which could be violating health department constraints. There's no hazard with lemonade.
Honestly, I can't believe any town whatsoever would require a kid to get a permit to sell lemonade. I'd be willing to bet if Mom and Dad had a yard sale - and the little girl was selling brownies and lemonade - the town would not bother.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It'll be interesting to see the backlash against the festival organizers and if they dare to come back next year. Narking out a kid with a lemonade stand is a REALLY bad image.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
They'll forget in a year, and some other Karen will step up to make sure the laws are upheld.

Tech

Better report the income or the IRS will be going through her underwear drawer.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I commend the Police Officer for the way he did this. He took $20 bucks from is own pocket to apologize for having to do his duty. How many Officers would do that?

He should have just refused, and when pressured told them, "**** you, fire me."

So it was nice of him to offer the girl a token but it's sniveling cowardice all the same. "I'd stand up to fascism and have integrity, but I need the fascists to employ me."

bryan cranston coward GIF

BOP

I commend the Police Officer for the way he did this. He took $20 bucks from is own pocket to apologize for having to do his duty. How many Officers would do that?
I'm always surprised when the SWAT team isn't called out for this kind of incident.

Oh, I know! It's 'cuz she be white! If she'd been a brover or sistah, they'd have shot her down! Dat's whaz up!