Oil Changes

jeneisen

Indy Bound
My new car needs its first oil change and I was wondering besides going to the dealer, can anyone recommend a decent priced place to get one? I refuse to go to Jiffy Lube and Hewitts is the same price as the dealer so I am just trying to find a medium. Any suggestions?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by jeneisen
My new car needs its first oil change and I was wondering besides going to the dealer, can anyone recommend a decent priced place to get one? I refuse to go to Jiffy Lube and Hewitts is the same price as the dealer so I am just trying to find a medium. Any suggestions?
Put that new Hubby underneath the car. Isn't that one of the reasons you married him, you know, to take care of stuff like this? Oh, yeah, you might want to check the joke Jazz posted same subject.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Well he normally does it but with it being a new car and a lease I am worried about it voiding the warranty. Plus he is so busy its just as easy to have it done somewhere else and have him cut the grass instead. :cheesy:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by jeneisen
Well he normally does it but with it being a new car and a lease I am worried about it voiding the warranty. Plus he is so busy its just as easy to have it done somewhere else and have him cut the grass instead. :cheesy:
Oh, a lease? Hmmm, never did that so I don't know how you are supposed to handle that sort of thing.

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
Don't know if they still do it or not, but Ridge Service Center used to give out a card where the first one costs $25 and it goes down $5 each time until the sixth one, which is free. Other than that, I would look in Valpak and get the coupons for Laser Lube or Southern Tire, places like that.

Bertha Venation

If you live anywhere near Waldorf, specifically around the St. Charles Towne Center mall, try Valvoline Instant Oil Change on St. Patrick's. Quick, professional, good. And clean. (I used to go to Jiffy Lube and I always left feeling like I caught cooties.)

Pookie

Ghetto Fabulous
Originally posted by Bertha Venation
If you live anywhere near Waldorf, specifically around the St. Charles Towne Center mall, try Valvoline Instant Oil Change on St. Patrick's. Quick, professional, good. And clean. (I used to go to Jiffy Lube and I always left feeling like I caught cooties.)

Cool av, BV!

Vince

Don't have to worry about oil changes in one of my cars. Thought I blew a timing belt, but it turned out to be the engine instead. Hey, if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any.:frown:

Bertha Venation

Originally posted by Vince
Don't have to worry about oil changes in one of my cars. Thought I blew a timing belt, but it turned out to be the engine instead. Hey, if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any.:frown:

Bummer, Vince. Here's a beer. :cheers:

D

DaMadman

Originally posted by Vince

Well I'll let you in on a little secret, Most of the time if you "Blow" a timing belt, the engine goes along with it.

There are a few engines out there that hav a safety feature on them to keep a broken Timing belt from ruining the engine, but most of the time, it pushes the pistons into the valves and bend the valves up and totally locks stuff up

I go to Mr. Tire. I think after the first time I got on their mailing list so they are always sending me $8.95 oil change coupons.

chris

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Agape in Hollywood will change your oil for $9.95, but they'll try to d*ck you out of money everytime you go and tell you 50 other problems that you have. So, you can go there and get a good deal, just say NO to all the other crap they throw at ya.

John Z

if you will
Originally posted by PFgal
Agape in Hollywood will change your oil for $9.95, but they'll try to d*ck you out of money everytime you go and tell you 50 other problems that you have. So, you can go there and get a good deal, just say NO to all the other crap they throw at ya.

That's sad. With a name like Agape, you'd expect better treatment.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by John Z
That's sad. With a name like Agape, you'd expect better treatment.

That's the experience of my father and myself, but some others like them :shrug:. I stopped going though, because the $9.95 wasn't worth the hassle.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Just an FYI, when we leased out Toyota, we called the dealer and they said it was it ok to do the easy maintenance ourselves (hubby was a mechanic). Not sure if your lease works the same way or not.

Ponytail

If it's a leased car, why would you NOT want to take it to Jiffy Lube. As long as it's a documented oil change, it should be valid for the lease, yes?

You're not planning on keeping the car forever, so what's your beef with jiffy lube? :confused:

jeneisen

Indy Bound
My beef with Jiffy Lube is I had a good friend who worked there for 3 years and he told me they mix their oil so that stuff happens to your car as well as will losen screws and stuff so you will bring it back. That was about 4 years ago but I am not taking the chance. Plus we tried it about 6 months ago and a 20.00 oil change cost of 40.00 b/c they didn't tell us they were putting premium oil in it and charged us for it. They rip you off in a hurry and for that price I can go to the dealer.

alex

We just had our new car done at the BP (used to Amoco) in Leonardtown. It cost us $48 but we had them switch from regular oil to Mobil One. Normally a regular oil change there runs about $24 on my minivan. Great service and friendly people.