Oil Tanks...

Grumpy

Received a notice from Southern MD Oil. "We have been trying to reach you regarding your oil tank. One of our professionals have identified an issue with your oil tank that puts it at elevated risk of leaking. To avoid a potential oil release we have placed your account on delivery hold and will no longer deliver oil until it is safe to do so. "
Later in the notice this appears " As of March 2021, SMO Energy will no longer deliver to oil tanks without a working whistle due the increased likelihood of an oil spill."

I'm sure there a mistake somewhere because I replaced and removed a buried 40 year old tank 18 months ago and SMO installed a new above ground one. I'm mainly curious about what a "working whistle" is? Is this some new regulation? Anyone got a clue??

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
No idea. When I replaced mine about 3 years ago, it now has a gauge on the top that shows how much is in the tank. Maybe that also includes a whistle?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The fill alarm whistles whistle (say that fast three times) the whole time the tank is being filled and stop whistling just before the tank is completely topped off. You can get them anywhere...Lowes too probably. I'm surprised they gave you that notice though....we've never had a whistle on either of our tanks and we're in the "critical area"..

Grumpy

The fill alarm whistles whistle (say that fast three times) the whole time the tank is being filled and stop whistling just before the tank is completely topped off. You can get them anywhere...Lowes too probably. I'm surprised they gave you that notice though....we've never had a whistle on either of our tanks and we're in the "critical area"..
Thanks...after posting that, I did a google search (duh on me for not doing it first), just seems odd that I had no issues for 30 years with the old tank but 18 months after getting a new one, it goes bad. Will call them tomorrow, no idea if there is a warranty or not. Either way, not really expensive and easily replaced if I have to take care of it.

General Lee

For the ones that had old tanks (including any underground) replaced with above ground, would you mind saying how much it cost? I'm starting to plan for replacement

Grumpy

For the ones that had old tanks (including any underground) replaced with above ground, would you mind saying how much it cost? I'm starting to plan for replacement
I'll look around for the receipt cuz I can't remember. It was for the installation of new tank plus they were required to run new lines to the furnace. The old underground tank removal was not included. I had a retaining wall put in last fall and had the contractor pop the old tank out of the ground and backfill. Cut the old tank in half and hauled it to the salvage yard.

GoodnessME

Just had a new above ground installed in January. $3200...but I do have a question....do you HAVE TO REMOVE the ingound tank or can you fill it with sand? It has been emptied...

Grumpy

Just had a new above ground installed in January. $3200...but I do have a question....do you HAVE TO REMOVE the ingound tank or can you fill it with sand? It has been emptied...
Guy told me to fill it with pea gravel, I'm sure sand would be easier. Wasn't told that I HAD to remove it but I eventually did.

General Lee

I have heard fill w/ pea gravel as well

If you don't mind, who did your install?

phreddyp

SMO was recently bought out by Griffiths Consumer oil Co. , different companies have different requirements .

Grumpy

I'm sure there a mistake somewhere because I replaced and removed a buried 40 year old tank 18 months ago and SMO installed a new above ground one. I'm mainly curious about what a "working whistle" is? Is this some new regulation? Anyone got a clue??

It was a mistake on SMO's part, they hadn't updated their records with the new tank install.