okay, when are where does it stop?

GregV814

Pride Month
Juneteenth
homage to "Negro" baseball players
felony if you leave skidmarks on the BLM painted highway
first ever: black mayor of Alexandria
Asian Chief of Police in Monkey County
whats this???? some unknown "rapper" arrested in Miami for public drunkeness????? whaaaaaaaa?

SamSpade

(sigh) - Maybe it's just me, but "Pride Month" is a bit much for me. I get why it might be important to have a month for Asians and a month for Africans - I happen to have daughters in each - and it's important to them to see recognition for them in a nation where EVERYONE THEY SEE looks different. Being white, we don't always notice - all the TV shows, movies, COMMERCIALS, politicians, teachers, EVERYONE - is white (unless you live in a large city that is mostly African American - no such thing for an Asian kid).

It sounds trite - but my Chinese daughter sometimes is bothered by the fact that she is the only Asian in her class and one of only a few in her whole school. I learned a bit of what this is like when I went to grad school, and I was the only WHITE guy there - and they all talked to each other in their own language. It CAN be overwhelming to feel alone that way - you can certainly feel the feeling when you travel abroad and no one looks like you.

But *PRIDE* I don't get. Whether you think they are born that way - (as I do, about MOST of them, gays and lesbians) - or are that way via something else - it's still about something personal. I don't see a situation where someone who is gay needs re-affirmation, because everyone on TV and movies is STRAIGHT. Almost all of the people I know who are LGBTQ etc don't hide it but also - don't make a big deal out of it. At least one has told me they're uncomfortable with ones that are flamboyant about it.

I suppose it seems strange that LGBT would sense any need for affirmation, since so very many people have distinguished themselves.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
That goes along with the parades.

The rediculousness, not to mention public vulgarity, as they campaign to become the Poobah of Peter Puffery.

Not sure what they think it gets them.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Am I the only person in the world who doesn't need everyone to "look like me" in order to be comfortable? I've not met one single person in my whole entire life who "looks like me." They either have different hair, or different skin color, or different body type, different hair style, different gender - there is something about everyone that makes them look different than me and I've never had a problem with that. Literally everyone I've ever known looks different than me. I've never even had a *doll* that looked like me, even when it was custom made to do exactly that.

Race is of so little consequence to me that it astonishes me when anyone makes a big deal out of it. It's like getting all worked up because someone has brown hair, or blue eyes, or a scar on their chin. "OMG, I have a scar on my chin and NOBODY ON TV LOOKS LIKE ME!!! :jameo: "

There just has to be better things to bitch about. There has to be.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
Am I the only person in the world who doesn't need everyone to "look like me" in order to be comfortable? I've not met one single person in my whole entire life who "looks like me." They either have different hair, or different skin color, or different body type, different hair style, different gender - there is something about everyone that makes them look different than me and I've never had a problem with that. Literally everyone I've ever known looks different than me. I've never even had a *doll* that looked like me, even when it was custom made to do exactly that.

Race is of so little consequence to me that it astonishes me when anyone makes a big deal out of it. It's like getting all worked up because someone has brown hair, or blue eyes, or a scar on their chin. "OMG, I have a scar on my chin and NOBODY ON TV LOOKS LIKE ME!!! :jameo: "

There just has to be better things to bitch about. There has to be.
I feel slighted.

Since Orson Welles passed there's no Old, Fat, Gray Bearded White Guy isnt being lionized in Hollywood.

:mad:

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I feel slighted.

Since Orson Welles passed there's no Old, Fat, Gray Bearded White Guy in being lionized in Hollywood.

He didn't look like you. If you stood next to each other I could immediately tell you apart.

:jet:

gemma_rae

I feel slighted.

Since Orson Welles passed there's no Old, Fat, Gray Bearded White Guy isnt being lionized in Hollywood.

What about this guy?

1718980597201.png

Oh Crap, nevermind.
:(

SamSpade

Am I the only person in the world who doesn't need everyone to "look like me" in order to be comfortable? I've not met one single person in my whole entire life who "looks like me."

It's one thing to visit Harlem or West Philly and realize EVERYONE around you is black. It's quite another to live, shop, work and do everything in a world unlike your own. When you're visiting another nation - you can get by just looking at stuff. When you LIVE there - sooner or later you're going to want to be around people who speak your language, understand your nuances and expressions and you can just be you. You don't have to worry that your thumbs up expression will be interpreted as "shove it up your ass". When you step into a shop or restaurant - and every eye is on you, because you look different. ALL - THE - TIME.

It's the same feeling and difference as when you're away from home for a long time - mostly on your own - and the comfort of being back HOME, where people know you. It's not a pathetic need - it's just normal to want to be - "home".

I've been on business trips where I get to visit churches that are part of my church. It's wonderful to hear the same service and same songs and same messages - but in an all black church. Or a mostly deaf church. And so forth. But when it goes on and on, you can feel a little overwhelmed when it is all the time.

I want my girls to know that they can be anything they want. I think it is important for them to know that not all Asians grow up to run Chinese restaurants and nail salons. That not all African Americans grow up to be baggers and stock shelves. I can tell them, but they have to SEE it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's one thing to visit Harlem or West Philly and realize EVERYONE around you is black. It's quite another to live, shop, work and do everything in a world unlike your own.

Ah, but I have lived in predominantly black neighborhoods several times. In Augusta GA I was the only white person in my whole apartment village. I got along just fine and never felt "othered". In fact when my son was born and I was a 19 year old knucklehead, I don't know what I'd have done without those black women helping me out and showing me how to care for him. My husband was doing AIT at the now renamed Fort Gordon and I was alone at night when he was doing swings or mids, and the husbands in the apartments around me made me feel safe.

My high school in the late 70s was quite diverse, and we didn't have racial problems. Interracial dating was fairly normal. I have never known a lily white life - my life has been racially mixed ever since I can remember and I've never felt uncomfortable around black people even if I was the only white person there. As such, my kids have never been aware of race in any meaningful way.

I find it hard to believe you don't know any Asian or black people who do something other than menial labor. That seems impossible to me.

SamSpade

I find it hard to believe you don't know any Asian or black people who do something other than menial labor. That seems impossible to me.
I work as a statistical programmer and I lived over ten years in PG. Of COURSE *I* do.

But most of the Asians and AAs my daughters meet typically ARE, unless they meet other kids like them, and meet their families. Howard County was quite diverse - but St Mary’s mostly is not.

Maybe I am exaggerating just a little. But they have both brought it up, especially because they tend to want to DATE boys like them.

My youngest is probably bothered by it all more than my middle girl. Until she got to middle school, she rarely even SAW someone Chinese or Korean or even Filipino. And then it was just a few.

Sadly after all these years we barely know our neighbors anymore. They keep moving away! But our neighborhood IS mostly white.

PeoplesElbow

I work as a statistical programmer and I lived over ten years in PG. Of COURSE *I* do.

But most of the Asians and AAs my daughters meet typically ARE, unless they meet other kids like them, and meet their families. Howard County was quite diverse - but St Mary’s mostly is not.

Maybe I am exaggerating just a little. But they have both brought it up, especially because they tend to want to DATE boys like them.

My youngest is probably bothered by it all more than my middle girl. Until she got to middle school, she rarely even SAW someone Chinese or Korean or even Filipino. And then it was just a few.

Sadly after all these years we barely know our neighbors anymore. They keep moving away! But our neighborhood IS mostly white.
Interesting, a lot of guys in the Navy brought home a Filipino or Japanese wife. I work with two guys that have Filipino wives and two that have Japanese wives, my neighborhood has several old sailors that have Filipino wives.