Old Dryer Outlet - can I convert?

SamSpade

I'm not saying can I pull it out and redo the 220 socket to a regular 110.

Is there a simpler way with a plug in adapter? You know, plug something in to the 220 outlet the dryer used, years ago, and get 110 for every day use?

phreddyp

I've never heard of one mainly 110 volt outlets usually are 15 or 20 amp your dryer outlet is usually 30 amp . Plus if it's a crows foot dryer outlet
( three slots) there is usually not a neutral conductor (white) in the outlet just an equipment grounding conductor ( green or bare ) and two phase conductors (red and Black) . A four slot 30 amp 230 volt dryer outlet has both a neutral and an equipment grounding conductor and two phase conductors .

DaSDGuy

CAMCO 15-Amp 3-Wire Grounding Single to Single Yellow Basic Standard Adapter
Item #278689 Model #55233 at Lowes
  • For use when RV has 30 amp power and needs to plug into a 15 amp power source
  • Power indicator light
  • Contoured shape for easy removal from outlet
$8.97

Use with caution in a laundry room - it does not have GFCI

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
You can convert a receptacle from 220 volts to 110 volts in one of two ways. The first is to use a 220 to 110 adapter. The other is to rewire the receptacle or install a new receptacle next to the old one and connect it to the 220-volt wiring. If you choose either of the second options, you'll have to install a new circuit breaker. 220V breakers are rated for more current than a 110V circuit can carry.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'm not saying can I pull it out and redo the 220 socket to a regular 110.

Is there a simpler way with a plug in adapter? You know, plug something in to the 220 outlet the dryer used, years ago, and get 110 for every day use?
You can convert easily to a 120v outlet.. a 240v outlet is two power legs, each of which is 120v. Go to the circuit box remove the 240v breaker, replace with a 120v breaker and only connect one power leg. on the other end connect that power leg to your new 120v outlet, and done.

It's no different than RV plugs.. 50 AMP RVs are 240V, 30 amp RVs are 120v.. the adaptor to run a 30 through a 50 amp is just passing one leg of the 240v to the adaptor.

Easy peasy

itsbob

I bowl overhand
You can convert easily to a 120v outlet.. a 240v outlet is two power legs, each of which is 120v. Go to the circuit box remove the 240v breaker, replace with a 120v breaker and only connect one power leg. on the other end connect that power leg to your new 120v outlet, and done.
You could even leave the 240v breaker in, but I think its safer to do the above. The other power leg could be a "runner" to power other outlets or lights.

Grumpy

Safer is to call an electrician and have him do it. Not a hard job and shouldn't be that expensive. I do alot of odd trade jobs around the house but steer clear of electric work. (helps to have in-laws that are electrians)

SamSpade

Well there's an outside chance I will want to turn the room BACK into a laundry toom - which is why I have no wish to change the socket or line itself.

I just want to know if there's a safe way to adapt it at the wall outlet so I can plug every day office items in, and so that it is safe. My office is in the original laundry room and as such has very few outlets. TWO, actually. My entire office routes into those two outlets and I am thinking of adding stuff before I close it up in a few years when I at last retire.

Until then, if I can just use the outlet I have without investing any serious time - just perhaps an adaptor that plugs in. That way in a few years I just put the dryer and washer BACK.

jrt_ms1995

Well there's an outside chance I will want to turn the room BACK into a laundry toom - which is why I have no wish to change the socket or line itself.

I just want to know if there's a safe way to adapt it at the wall outlet so I can plug every day office items in, and so that it is safe. My office is in the original laundry room and as such has very few outlets. TWO, actually. My entire office routes into those two outlets and I am thinking of adding stuff before I close it up in a few years when I at last retire.

Until then, if I can just use the outlet I have without investing any serious time - just perhaps an adaptor that plugs in. That way in a few years I just put the dryer and washer BACK.
AmazonSmile: BESTEK Universal Travel Adapter 220V to 110V Voltage Converter with 6A 4-Port USB Charging and UK/AU/US/EU Worldwide Plug Adapter (White): Electronics

AmazonSmile: ROCKSTONE POWER 3000 Watt Voltage Converter Transformer - Heavy Duty Step Up/Down AC 110V/120V/220V/240V Power Converter - Circuit Breaker Protection – DC 5V USB Port - CE Certified [3-Year Warranty]: Electronics

First suitable for charging electronics but not powering resistance heat devices, second not necessarily suitable for electronics but will power your beard hair toaster. Some other plug arrangement adapters may be needed.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

It's no different than RV plugs.. 50 AMP RVs are 240V, 30 amp RVs are 120v.. the adaptor to run a 30 through a 50 amp is just passing one leg of the 240v to the adaptor.

Easy peasy
AND if it's an old dryer plug, it won't have a neutral wire.. It will be Power, Power and Ground.. You can replace the breaker with a 120v, use one of the power legs on the 120v breaker, your ground as ground, and the extra power leg as your neutral (mark accordingly).