Old Great Mills Rd & RT 5

glhs837

Power with Control
Well I'm not gassing up there at anytime of the day or night, but yeah it's gonna be interesting. Too bad we can't turn the traffic cam around at that intersection to watch the show.

Now thats a "Real Men of Genius" moment right there. I'll fill up there anytime, I'm a sucker for using my phone to pay at the pump, but the threat radar does certainly go to a higher scan rate.

Reactions: Erk

BernieP

Resident PIA
Easy to see which farm....LOL.

I wonder where along the way they reached that impasse?..because they were proceeding originally like the new connector road was a done deal. They made Greg Callaway include some stuff in his shopping center design/construction that recognized the future through road..and have even have the short stretch of Pegg rd in that new housing development on Indian Bridge.
Easy to see why as well. Looks like a new house is going up about where the road would happen to swing through - (based on the Google Satellite image it looks like the footing of a blouse)

Looking at the imagery I would say the time to acquire the right of way for the road is past.
You have KCA on one side, which I doubt wants a road to cut through the schools campus for safety reasons, you have a housing development on the north side of Piney Point Rd intersection, not to mention the Shopping Center and gas station on the NB 5.

Basically the government would have to buy out the entire farm, which they probably don't want to do at a fair market price, because either they displace the houses or split the farm in half with a major road, which would run close to the houses.

Maybe before KCA acquired the land for the church and school the county should have stepped in, or the shopping center?

The next question is if the state would even put money into it, it would probably violate "Smart Growth" rules.
If the county does it like they have been plugging away at FDR it could take 50 years.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Drive home today wasn't much different, but people didn't have to worry about cars trying to merge from Old Great Mills Rd. So it went a little quicker going from two lanes to a single lane.

Erk

I must confess I did not think the change would make any noticable difference, but I believe it has. Seems to be a bit quicker through there. Anyone else see it change? Stay the same?