Old Great Mills Rd & RT 5

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm surprised it has taken this long.

If they are in the mood to shut down right/U turns for traffic flow, man, I have a friken laundry list. WaWa by CVS, CVS by WaWa, No U-turns from 235 south except for controlled insterctions between 3 and 6 pm.

MiddleGround

Not going to subscribe however,

What about the people that live in those complexes off of Old GMR? Are they going to have to merge onto GMR, turn right, then another right at the intersection to get onto NB Rt 5?

Goldenhawk

The Enterprise website is paywalled, and I'd violate copyright law if I posted the entire text, so here's a summary.

MDOT is going to close the Old Great Mills Road to northbound Rt 5 access by the end of August. There's design work to do, then the work to install signs and a new curb preventing right turns will be completed as fast as possible. It will involve deactivating the right-turn traffic signal at that intersection. The main signal will not be affected.

The Commissioners listed this intersection as their primary transportation initiative in their MD State budget request this year; Maryland moved the project forward as the only request for federal transportation funds.

There's also some discussion of long-term plans, including: "That money would widen Route 5 to an undivided four-lane section of roadway, and would add 11-foot-wide outside travel lanes, with 5-foot bicycle lanes along both sides of Route 5." It will also replace the bridge over St. Mary’s River.

Aside from what the article says, yes, residents in those apartments will have to exit Old Great Mills Road onto Great Mills Road, and go through the stoplight to go north on Rt 5. Not a huge change for them.

MiddleGround

The Commissioners listed this intersection as their primary transportation initiative in their MD State budget request this year...

Good to see the Commissioners know exactly where the problem areas are and have them prioritized properly :doh:

IDIOTS!!!

Goldenhawk

Regarding paywall, AdBlock and Ghostery do a fine job of unpaywalling the Enterprise. Looks messy but the entire story is always there underneath the first bit of "please subscribe" nonsense.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
While they're at it they should do the Rt 5/ Rt 4 intersection as well.

You have to wonder what retarded chimpanzee came up with these convoluted intersection layouts in the first place.

stgislander

PREMO Member
So are northbound vehicles still going to turn right onto Old Great Mills Road to enter the Sheetz?

MiddleGround

This project needs to be the highest priority in the county.
It is my way home from WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Point of order:

When they say "this intersection," do they mean OLD GMR and Rt5 or just Great Mills and Rt5? It seems that the OLD GMR intersection is not all that important. Maybe the article was written badly? It would not be a surprise.

TPD

the poor dad
This project needs to be the highest priority in the county.
It is my way home from WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

During last election that John Bohanon ran in (and lost), at the last minute he tried pandering to the voters in the southern end of the county by announcing that work would begin soon on the widening of Rt 5 from Scotland to Pt Lookout. The majority of the residents at that meeting told him they could see right through what he was doing - buying our votes. We basically told him to pound sand - Pt Lookout was not important to locals but GMR intersection affected us every day. Take the $20mil that was going to be spent on the Pt Lookout road and do something in Great Mills.

That was 5 years ago. He lost the election. Work just started on the Pt Lookout Road widening 2 months ago. The Great Mills intersection is much worse now.

stgislander

PREMO Member
The whole Great Mills area is a CF. The Pegg Road extension to Rt 5 was supposed to eliminate some of traffic snarl at Great Mills. If I remember correctly MDOT decided that widening the bridge over the St Mary's River, was a better idea.