Old Space, money for nothing

glhs837

Power with Control

The report found that efforts to refurbish RS-25 engines, manufacture new ones, and produce solid rocket boosters for the initial Artemis missions have resulted in about $6 billion in cost increases and more than six years in schedule delays compared to NASA's original projections.

To put this into perspective, Martin is talking about the cost increases, not the total cost of the engines and boosters. This means that overruns for the propulsion system of the SLS rocket alone are costing the space agency about as much as it will spend on developing two reusable lunar landers—SpaceX's Starship and Blue Origin's Blue Moon.

The new report also takes issue with the fees awarded as part of the propulsion contracts. For example, even though Aerojet delivered only five of 16 of the refurbished RS-25 rocket engines by the end of its contract, it was rated "very good" by the space agency for this subpar work.

Clem72

The new report also takes issue with the fees awarded as part of the propulsion contracts. For example, even though Aerojet delivered only five of 16 of the refurbished RS-25 rocket engines by the end of its contract, it was rated "very good" by the space agency for this subpar work.

Can't give them anything less than the maximum amount of bonus (incentive award) built into the contract or else they may not hire these NASA PMs to work for them once they retire from government.

I don't know why we even bother capturing metrics or using CPARs. It is almost never actually taken into account for future awards and all of the big contractors have multiple ways to stick their thumbs on the scale anyways. And it's not even hidden. Pick a platform on Pax, look up the prime contractor for that platform, then go to their website and match up linked-in profiles to the senior PMs and executives and see how many link right back to former PMA leadership.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Old Space.

The companion Aftershave to Old Spice. Smells like burnt rocket fuel and 14 day old astronaut sweat.

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
I want my,
I want my
I want my MTV
music video yo yos GIF