Old Testament and New Testament

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
I've heard people say that both are valid. I've also heard people say that the New Testament replaces the Old Testament.

Can somebody tell me what the view of the catholic church is on the relationship between the two?

Radiant1

Soul Probe

Speed Racer

I'll do the best I can to relay how it was explained by the "Teaching" Pastors I've had the privilege to listen to:

The Old Testament describes the early relationship between God and man - man's creation, his fall from grace (Adam & Eve) and the subsequent struggles man experienced as a result. Throughout the Old Testament man tries to atone for their sins through sacrifices in the temples built to God. Per custom, the common man was not allowed to perform the sacrifices (of a lamb) much less even enter into the temples, so intermediaries were chosen (priests, etc) to perform the services. There was one area of the temple in which the Arc of the Covenant was kept behind a curtain and only the holiest/highest priests could enter.
The New Testament describes man’s new relationship with God. As a result of Jesus (called the Lamb of God) dying /atoning for the sins of man, temple sacrifices were no longer required. The tearing of the temple curtain at the moment of Christ’s death signified that man no longer needed an intermediary in order to have a relationship with God the Father.

This is a really simplistit version. I found the whole explanation of the Old & New Testaments absolutely fascinating.

T

toppick08

What do I know..??.....I'm just a Methodist.....:big smile:

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
Luggy, just what is it that you have you done? :shocking:

:lol: Just curious. Seems like I'm getting caught in religious discussions a lot lately. I find the topic interesting but I don't know enough about it.

What do I know..??.....I'm just a Methodist.....:big smile:

I wont hold it against ya. :lol: I asked about the catholic church because to my knowledge, they are the largest christian church. Am I wrong in thinking that?

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Thanks. :smile:

So the lessons/rules from both are considered binding by the church?

Lessons? Yes. Rules? It depends; moral rules (10 commandments) are binding whereas legislative rules such as found in Leviticus are not.

I asked about the catholic church because to my knowledge, they are the largest christian church. Am I wrong in thinking that?

No.

jenbengen

Watch it
I'll do the best I can to relay how it was explained by the "Teaching" Pastors I've had the privilege to listen to:

The Old Testament describes the early relationship between God and man - man's creation, his fall from grace (Adam & Eve) and the subsequent struggles man experienced as a result. Throughout the Old Testament man tries to atone for their sins through sacrifices in the temples built to God. Per custom, the common man was not allowed to perform the sacrifices (of a lamb) much less even enter into the temples, so intermediaries were chosen (priests, etc) to perform the services. There was one area of the temple in which the Arc of the Covenant was kept behind a curtain and only the holiest/highest priests could enter.
The New Testament describes man’s new relationship with God. As a result of Jesus (called the Lamb of God) dying /atoning for the sins of man, temple sacrifices were no longer required. The tearing of the temple curtain at the moment of Christ’s death signified that man no longer needed an intermediary in order to have a relationship with God the Father.

This is a really simplistit version. I found the whole explanation of the Old & New Testaments absolutely fascinating.

Great explanation. :howdy:

Speed Racer

Great explanation. :howdy:

I was baptized and raised a Catholic, but it wasn't until I attended a Christian church with a "Teaching Pastor" that I REALLY learned all about the bible. There is SO much interesting info in Old Testament that I couldn't wait until the next week's sermons. For example the whole story of Abraham, Sarah & Hagar. Isaac, the son of Abraham & Sarah established the Christian religion while Ishmael, the son of Abraham & Hagar established the Muslim religions.

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists
*Bump*

The one thing I don't understand is why did God create the two religons? In Leviticus he states that Levitical Law and the Holiness Code are for the children of Israel. They are not for Christians. So why would he seperate His people?

Starman3000m

*Bump*

The one thing I don't understand is why did God create the two religons? In Leviticus he states that Levitical Law and the Holiness Code are for the children of Israel. They are not for Christians. So why would he seperate His people?

Actually, "Christianity" is a Jewish sect and is the prophetic fulfillment of a New Covenant which is what Orthodox Judaism still awaits today. It's the difference between the Old Covenant which followers of Moses were bound to and the New Covenant between God and all mankind which has been established through Jesus - as detailed in the New Testament accounts.

IOW: There is One Faith (Ephesians 4:4-6) not two religions. God has made the provision to unite all people (Jews and Gentiles) as He promised through the New Covenant that He established through the Atoning Blood of Jesus Christ.

Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
(Jeremiah 31:31)

For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: (Hebrews 8:8)

In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.
(Hebrews 8:13)

And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.
(Hebrews 12:24)

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
(Galatians 3:28)

Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.
(Colossians 3:11)

Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also: Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.
(Romans 3:28-30)

Last edited:

Radiant1

Soul Probe
*Bump*

They aren't separate religions per se. We are a Christian-Judeo people. Jews just didn't get with the full program. :lol:

Think of it this way. God created the universe in "six days" and on the "seventh" He rested. Adam and Eve screwed up resulting in the fall of mankind. Throughout the OT we see God re-creating His people. He makes five covenants with His people in the OT (Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, David), and then a sixth in the person of Jesus Christ, the NT. What's the seventh? He rests upon the Second Coming.

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists
They aren't separate religions per se. We are a Christian-Judeo people. Jews just didn't get with the full program. :lol:

Think of it this way. God created the universe in "six days" and on the "seventh" He rested. Adam and Eve screwed up resulting in the fall of mankind. Throughout the OT we see God re-creating His people. He makes five covenants with His people in the OT (Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, David), and then a sixth in the person of Jesus Christ, the NT. What's the seventh? He rests upon the Second Coming.

Oh wow, very interesting about the 7th. Thanks for the input!

Starman3000m

They aren't separate religions per se. We are a Christian-Judeo people. Jews just didn't get with the full program... :lol:

Technicality: It was the "Orthodox Jewish leaders" who didn't accept nor believe that Jesus was their prophesied Moshiach.

The first "Christians" were actually several thousand Jewish/Israeli believers who continue in the faith and belief in Christ today (Messianic Jews). Salvation came first to the "Jews" then the Gentiles.