Old things found around the house

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
My mom has lived in her current house since 1948. She's an aspiring hoarder. She's still in the amateur stages but is thinking of going pro any day now. She had water issues with the last hurricane that made an appearance in the NY/NJ area a few months ago.

I went down to the basement to take a visible inventory. I've always meant to dig deep into the crevasses to see what hidden gems I could find. I didn't have to dig to deep to find a few treasures. It's like a museum of old, worthless stuff in the basement. Here's a few pics of some of the really old stuff.

Any old timers remember using any of these products?

Attachments

• cr6.jpg
    cr6.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 47

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
:lol: I have a can of the soldering paste, came from dad's house.

We came across all kinds of antiques when we cleaned out their house. This snake bite kit is from the 30's 50s.. He had saved all of HIS dad's tools, some really cool stuff, my brother has most of them. Philco TVs with the round screen. WWII antenna directional finder. Too much to list.

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
I have and occasionally use a can of Clover grinding compound that I got from my dads basement when he moved to Florida.

And Sneakers I have a D cell directional finder on my sailboat that came with my first sailboat.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
:lol: I have a can of the soldering paste, came from dad's house.

When we cleared out my Grandfathers house years ago, I threw away several cans of soldering paste, lead solder etc. As a member of the Great Depression generation, he saved EVERYTHING.

I still have a bag of matchbooks from the 50s to the 60s. Safeway, Citizens Bank, Pep Boys etc.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I rent space at the Chesapeake Marketplace (bored from retirement!) and there are a lot of old tins and what not's from the "early" days. One man's junk is another's treasure! At least that's what I'm counting on :lmao:

Shameless plug: I also create wind chimes out of old (recycled) silverware and wall hangings from vintage jewelry!

Last edited:

ontheriver

I rent space at the Chesapeake Auction house (bored from retirement!) and there are a lot of old tins and what not's from the "early" days. One man's junk is another's treasure! At least that's what I'm counting on :lmao:

Shameless plug: I also create wind chimes out of old (recycled) silverware and wall hangings from vintage jewelry!

I have a LOT of old stuff that someone would probably love to have. The woman I bought my house from worked at the "powder factory" in Indian Head during WWII. I haven't looked at it in years. If I go through it and anything is salvageable, would you be interested in it for your space? If so, I'd be happy to give it to you.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My mom has lived in her current house since 1948. She's an aspiring hoarder. She's still in the amateur stages but is thinking of going pro any day now. She had water issues with the last hurricane that made an appearance in the NY/NJ area a few months ago.

I went down to the basement to take a visible inventory. I've always meant to dig deep into the crevasses to see what hidden gems I could find. I didn't have to dig to deep to find a few treasures. It's like a museum of old, worthless stuff in the basement. Here's a few pics of some of the really old stuff.

View attachment 159982 View attachment 159983 View attachment 159984

View attachment 159985 View attachment 159986 View attachment 159989

View attachment 159990

Any old timers remember using any of these products?
I don't think that peanut butter is still good. But I bet everything else is. I still use Clover grinding compound to this day. Been using it ever since I invented it for Henry Ford.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I have a LOT of old stuff that someone would probably love to have. The woman I bought my house from worked at the "powder factory" in Indian Head during WWII. I haven't looked at it in years. If I go through it and anything is salvageable, would you be interested in it for your space? If so, I'd be happy to give it to you.
I'd love to take a look at all of it! Thank you!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My dad had one too. Almost hot enough to solder copper pipes... :lol:
I had one of those monsters..loved that thing for soldering the leads on battery cables and the like. But when that old cloth insulation decided it was done, the failure was almost spectacular...