Old things found around the house

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I had one of those monsters..loved that thing for soldering the leads on battery cables and the like. But when that old cloth insulation decided it was done, the failure was almost spectacular...
I was going to mention that cloth "insulation" .... :lol:

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I have an old wood box radio with the glass tubes that was a wedding gift to my grandparents in 1941.

My mother acquired this when my grand mother passed

black dog

Free America
I had one of those monsters..loved that thing for soldering the leads on battery cables and the like. But when that old cloth insulation decided it was done, the failure was almost spectacular...

Hahaha... The ones my dad dropped off to me are for soldering tin roofs. They would get heated up with one of the old white gas torches.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
:( I had an absolutely beautiful early 1920s radio set in our "museum house"..the one that took 10 Antique Roadshow's worth of stuff with it when it burned down. Ruined me for life...neither I nor my wife can bear to explore an antique shop any more and it was once a favorite pasttime for us.
I'm sorry for your loss. :huggy:

I have more but I don't have time to take pics now.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I rent space at the Chesapeake Marketplace (bored from retirement!) and there are a lot of old tins and what not's from the "early" days. One man's junk is another's treasure! At least that's what I'm counting on :lmao:

Shameless plug: I also create wind chimes out of old (recycled) silverware and wall hangings from vintage jewelry!
I have a set of silverware wind chimes that I bought for wifey when we vacationed in Gordonsville, VA one summer. One of the utensils fell off making it unbalanced, so it's been put away for repair some day. I've collected a couple dozen pieces that I picked up at thrift stores in the area, before people realized it was silver plated. Hopefully I have something to balance it back out. They actually had a beautiful sound, and I don't care for wind chimes all that much.

As far as soldering paste, I played hell trying to find any in local stores that was suitable for electronics. I ended up at Radio Shack on PF. None of the local hardware stores carried it. :burning:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I have a set of silverware wind chimes that I bought for wifey when we vacationed in Gordonsville, VA one summer. One of the utensils fell off making it unbalanced, so it's been put away for repair some day. I've collected a couple dozen pieces that I picked up at thrift stores in the area, before people realized it was silver plated. Hopefully I have something to balance it back out. They actually had a beautiful sound, and I don't care for wind chimes all that much.

As far as soldering paste, I played hell trying to find any in local stores that was suitable for electronics. I ended up at Radio Shack on PF. None of the local hardware stores carried it. :burning:
The new solder doesn't require flux, it's more of a glue than a solder and of course lead free.

frequentflier

happy to be living

I'd be happy to repair it for you or restring it all. The sound is important and I will restring if it doesn't have the right "tingle". Were the pieces flattened? A local machine shop has allowed us to flatten the pieces with a 20 ton press. (Gilligan offered the use of his, too)
Send me a pm and I'll meet you at your job!

Grumpy

Watched a youtube vid about repairing tvs, f-in-law was tossing a 50 inch tv, I took it and $30 later with a Radio Shack solder iron and 2 compacitors, had a working TV for my room..Still working 10 years later. :yay:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I'd be happy to repair it for you or restring it all. The sound is important and I will restring if it doesn't have the right "tingle". Were the pieces flattened? A local machine shop has allowed us to flatten the pieces with a 20 ton press. (Gilligan offered the use of his, too)
Send me a pm and I'll meet you at your job!
I really appreciate the offer, but I'd like to do it myself. It holds a great deal of sentimental value and I'll have to experiment with several pieces to get "the" sound, if that makes any sense. All the original pieces are attached except for that one spoon/fork that went missing. It had to have grown wings, because I scoured the ground underneath it, to no avail. This is why I have a box full of silverware. The right piece has got to be in there somewhere.

I have access to a press as well. If you ever need silverware flattened or a bearing pressed on an axle just yell!

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Watched a youtube vid about repairing tvs, f-in-law was tossing a 50 inch tv, I took it and $30 later with a Radio Shack solder iron and 2 compacitors, had a working TV for my room..Still working 10 years later. :yay:
Capacitors swell up and cause a LOT of failures. I see it all the time in trolling motors, but Minn Kota seals most boards in epoxy for protection. I have a control board right now that I may be able to revive with a couple bucks worth of caps. They are exposed on this particular model. They swelled up and the motor cut off after exactly 30 minutes. Just like the owner said. :lol:

Grumpy

Capacitors swell up and cause a LOT of failures. I see it all the time in trolling motors, but Minn Kota seals most boards in epoxy for protection. I have a control board right now that I may be able to revive with a couple bucks worth of caps. They are exposed on this particular model. They swelled up and the motor cut off after exactly 30 minutes. Just like the owner said. :lol:
The sad thing is, Radio Shack is dying..really surprised the PF store is still in business.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
The sad thing is, Radio Shack is dying..really surprised the PF store is still in business.
They've pretty much closed all the retail shops down. It's nice to be able to walk into a store and get a battery holder, project box, or resistor for a project. Sometimes the passion wears off if you have to wait a few days for delivery. :lmao:

black dog

Free America

If you really work hard you can release the smoke from potted electronics...