Older Outboard motor help

zar

Theist
I have found a old Tohatsu 3.5 Horsepower engine hidden away in the back of our crab shed. It looks in decent shape for something that has been sitting 10-15 years. The problem is I can't really find a model or serial number so there's no way for me to look up the instruction manual. It doesn't look too complicated, it needs fuel and oil. I'm not sure what type of fuel.. isn't it pretty standard for them to take regular unleaded? Also I'm guessing outboard oil from walmart would be fine but I'm wonder if I should fill it to capacity.

Also it has a switch of some sort for "lock and unlock" and a some sort of lever that sticks out moves up and down. But it has the turtle/rabbit switch to control speed, like a lawnmower, so I'm not sure what the purpose of this piece is.

Any advice/answers would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

here is a picture
YTQi2Za.jpg

Last edited:

Midnightrider

I have found a old Tohatsu 3.5 Horsepower engine hidden away in the back of our crab shed. It looks in decent shape for something that has been sitting 10-15 years. The problem is I can't really find a model or serial number so there's no way for me to look up the instruction manual. It doesn't look too complicated, it needs fuel and oil. I'm not sure what type of fuel.. isn't it pretty standard for them to take regular unleaded? Also I'm guessing outboard oil from walmart would be fine but I'm wonder if I should fill it to capacity.

Also it has a switch of some sort for "lock and unlock" and a some sort of lever that sticks out moves up and down. But it has the turtle/rabbit switch to control speed, like a lawnmower, so I'm not sure what the purpose of this piece is.

Any advice/answers would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

here is a picture
YTQi2Za.jpg

Lock and unlock could be for the tilt function. You can probably lock it down or leave it loose in case you hit a rock or something. The other may be a fuel shutoff valve but I don't know. You should also have a choke lever and a stop switch. If you find any manual for a tohatsu 3.5 it should be close enough

Last edited:

Agee

The lever on the right side is for forward-neutral and reverse... as posted the "lock/un-lock" could be part of the motor tilt or possibly un-lock to remove the engine cover?

Oil/fuel mixture is standard for small outboards 50:1., 2.5 oz/gallon (from tohatsu)

Give the starter rope a few "gentle pulls" to ensure the motor's not seized. Suggest removing the plug inspect/clean, just to get it started, then replace after some run-in time.

Midnightrider

The lever on the right side is for forward-neutral and reverse... as posted the "lock/un-lock" could be part of the motor tilt or possibly un-lock to remove the engine cover?

Oil/fuel mixture is standard for small outboards 50:1., 2.5 oz/gallon (from tohatsu)

Give the starter rope a few "gentle pulls" to ensure the motor's not seized. Suggest removing the plug inspect/clean, just to get it started, then replace after some run-in time.

I assumed from the first post that it was a 4 stroke.....
The OP definitely wants to figure that out before he adds oil to the gas.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member

Reading the manual for the 2.5/3.5 it appears there is no reverse, you put it in neutral and rotate the engine 180 degrees before re-engaging the drive.

zar

Theist
Lock and unlock could be for the tilt function. You can probably lock it down or leave it loose in case you hit a rock or something. The other may be a fuel shutoff valve but I don't know. You should also have a choke lever and a stop switch. If you find any manual for a tohatsu 3.5 it should be close enough

yup.. the open and close had to do with the choke

Serial number should be on the lower portion of the motor cover and on the cylinder block.

Thanks.. found it after looking at it with a light. It was covered in dirt, somehow I missed it and it also had the model #

edit: two-stroke manual http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/own_man_pdfs/Toh2-5A2_3-5A2_3-5B2.pdf

Thanks.. found it after looking at it with a light. It was covered in dirt, somehow I missed it and it also had the model #, this was the correct manual

I assumed from the first post that it was a 4 stroke.....
The OP definitely wants to figure that out before he adds oil to the gas.

The manual says it takes 2 stroke oil so I'm assuming it's 2 stroke. I have to read through it again but I didn't see it state a specific stroke
yep, my numbers for a 2-stroke...

Reading the manual for the 2.5/3.5 it appears there is no reverse, you put it in neutral and rotate the engine 180 degrees before re-engaging the drive.

yep, no reverse. only a forward and neutral

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If I recall correctly, Taihatsu made the "Ted Williams" outboards for Sears back in the day, based on same motor as yours, and some parts can still be obtained from Sears too. Definitely a 2-stroke. And the shift feature is a bit hinky....it uses a spring clutch and they are prone to fatigue failure. I always left mine "engaged" for the most part.