On another note, Democrat primaries

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Since they scrapped the primaries this year and just anointed Joe Biden as the nominee, do you suppose the DNC will do away with primaries altogether in the future?

I mean, they might as well. Their bots vote for who they're instructed to vote for anyway. It's never a surprise. It's not like Democrats have independent thought; they just do as they're told. So why go to all the trouble of a primary when they don't have to?

I'm guessing all those candidates pretending to "run for President" was just a money grab. They say, "Hey, I'ma run for President!" and get all these dummies to give them money; they party on it, buy themselves a little something, then when the money flow dries up they go, "Yeah, quitting now. Thanks for the bucks. I endorse the guy who was going to get the nomination all along."

awpitt

Main Streeter
Since they scrapped the primaries this year and just anointed Joe Biden as the nominee, do you suppose the DNC will do away with primaries altogether in the future?

They didn't scrap the primaries.

No more likely to do away with primaries than the GOP is likely to do.

This is just one of those years when they have one candidate who managed to pull ahead relatively early.

Are the Republicans even having primaries?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Are the Republicans even having primaries?
They have been having them. To date of the 1633 delegates Trump has 1632, Weld had 1, given only 1276 of the 2550 available are needed to secure the nomination it is basically over.

On the other hand Biden is 425 delegates short of officially locking up his nomination, he has 1556 of the 1991 needed.

SamSpade

I hate to have to keep explaining this, because it's something people know in their head but it doesn't seem to translate.

Primaries are NOT "round 1" of popular elections. They are parties choosing their candidate. The concept of a party having voting booths with registered voters selecting their party's candidate is a relatively new concept. For a while, the candidates were actually selected by the party's representatives in Congress. Eventually it lead to voting for delegates to the convention, which is still not direct selection. It really wasn't until the 60's that we had anything resembling what we have today.

But - it is still the party making the choice. If I form a new party today, YOU don't get to pick my candidate. I'm the only member, so I choose. If I gain 100 more members, we choose. It's an organization, not a democracy - the workers don't get to choose the CEO. Doesn't work that way. Most people can see that as ok, and not unfair.

It's only because after 50 years of treating primaries as the semi-finals that people think that voting for the candidate matters.