Once again anonymous sources influence civil rights

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
Greetings:

Stop it.

You were making the case this was a violation of constitutional rights. It wasn’t.

But hey, if you feel like you need the internet win for the day have at it.
First Deontay Wilder loses and now you. It's not a good day for you black guys is it.

Why the hell do you use a gay white guy as your avatar anyway?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
It seems possible that denying a conservative political group (while allowing liberal groups) by barring a student group might be a violation of the school's own policy of inclusion in such matters and might even jeopardize their 501(c)(3) status. https://www.coe.edu/application/files/2915/3444/7628/studenthandbook.pdf
Coe Handbook page 23 said:
Coe College is dedicated to providing students with an educational environment that will foster those habits of mind and action that are vital to engaged citizens in a democratic society. This is the goal of a liberal education, a goal that cannot be met without maintaining free and open inquiry within our college community. As an academic community we also seek to have our engagement in political expression be of a civil and thoughtful form.

As a tax exempt entity, Coe College is prohibited by federal law from participating in or attempting to influence campaigns for any elective office or ballot proposal. The following policy attempts to balance these competing considerations of free expression, civility, and federal election law while providing members of the college community, its faculty, staff, and students with guidance in conforming their political activity to these considerations.

Smokey1

Greetings:

Stop it.

You were making the case this was a violation of constitutional rights. It wasn’t.

But hey, if you feel like you need the internet win for the day have at it.

The 1st amendment isn't a part of the Constitution? :oops:

Smokey1

Greetings:

Other opinions can disagree all they want. That does not a 1st amendment violation make.

I will believe you when I see your Constitutional Law credentials. Until then its nothing more than an unsupported opinion.

Spitfire

I will believe you when I see your Constitutional Law credentials. Until then its nothing more than an unsupported opinion.

Greetings:

Move move move the goal posts. Now I have to have law credentials before I’m able to read and understand how these things work.

I will never understand why you people react with such recalcitrance when presented with information that doesn’t comport with your world view.

Go find just one single private university that has been found guilty of violating the 1st amendment under same or similar circumstances as this one. Go on. I will wait.

Smokey1

Greetings:

Move move move the goal posts. Now I have to have law credentials before I’m able to read and understand how these things work.

I will never understand why you people react with such recalcitrance when presented with information that doesn’t comport with your world view.

Go find just one single private university that has been found guilty of violating the 1st amendment under same or similar circumstances as this one. Go on. I will wait.

Now you are moving the goal posts. I agreed that they couldn't be sued for violation of the 1st amendment if they are private but they could lose federal money if they violated free speech rights of the students. It would have the same affect either way.

Spitfire

Now you are moving the goal posts. I agreed that they couldn't be sued for violation of the 1st amendment if they are private but they could lose federal money if they violated free speech rights of the students. It would have the same affect either way.

Greetings:

I am not moving anything. You should understand that rights cannot be violated unless a court adjudicates that. Losing grants is nowhere near the same as having a court find that rights have in fact been violated. It’s a contractual or policy-based “punishment” for ostensibly bad behavior.

Those are two completely different things.