One of the things that annoys me the most...

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I've yet to figure out why folks that consider the precautions to be ridiculous see any point in telling other people who chose to take precautions how ridiculous their thinking is ...

Conformation Bias :sshrug:

NOBODY I know is sick ..... it must all be nonsense

SamSpade

Conformation Bias :sshrug:

NOBODY I know is sick ..... it must all be nonsense

Admittedly, I wish I had a nickel for every time some version of that has been mentioned --
Best example is polls - "have you ever answered a poll? I haven't and no one I know has".

But it's also not without merit - no one I have ever known has ever won big in a lottery or Publisher's Clearing House,
yet somehow there are thousands of winners. I guarantee someone you know doubts they give the money away.

Me, I go by the data - if I can trust it. And I've seen all different ways of viewing the same information.
One of the more exasperating things I've seen is to look at your chance of being killed, dying, shot or what have you as being UTTERLY random and without regard to circumstances. For example, if a certain amount of people get shot in Baltimore, the reasoning is that every time you go to any part of Baltimore, you run the same risk as anyone else. And that's patently false.

When we were little, my mom heard a statistic that most car accidents happen near your home - so when we were coming home from a long trip, she's ask us to buckle up and my dad to drive safely - ignoring the obvious reason that they occur near home because that's where most of your driving occurs.

You might run the risk of getting hit by lightning - but it's pretty much zero if you exercise precaution.

GregV814

Ladies and others, common sense precautions are in order just as they were with a measles outbreak, the flu, I don’t patronize brothels, and yes they are in order now!
the media has stirred this into a frenzy not seen in our OUR lifetime. In some cases it has been absurd.
my opinion,

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Ladies and others, common sense precautions are in order just as they were with a measles outbreak, the flu, I don’t patronize brothels, and yes they are in order now!
the media has stirred this into a frenzy not seen in our OUR lifetime. In some cases it has been absurd.
my opinion,

I don't disagree with you about this. Common sense - yes. Something not common anymore, as the cliche goes. I'm hoping that the "survival of the fittest" theory will kick in and the idiots who are out there acting like idiots will die off. We don't need anymore stupid people breeding more.

I don't mind sheltering in place. I can deal with it. If I go out, I take precautions; wipe down cart handles, etc....

But the thing that bothers me most is the tv. Shows that I like to watch, like CBS Sunday Morning right now, have nothing but COVID related articles. Even the commercials. Just saw one for a basement mold remediation company. They say you should get your crawlspace repaired so .... you can use it for storage of TP and canned food. I'm just tired of everyone insisting we have to continually be bombarded with this crap. Being informed and providing information is one thing, but this is nutz.

I'm going to work in the garage today.

I don't disagree with you about this. Common sense - yes. Something not common anymore, as the cliche goes. I'm hoping that the "survival of the fittest" theory will kick in and the idiots who are out there acting like idiots will die off. We don't need anymore stupid people breeding more.
My take as well... I read and listen to a bunch of it and then do what makes sense to me and what I feel is best for my herd.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Here’s a reason, the tri-county has a lot of people. Young, old, legally here, otherwise.... does anyone here know anyone with the confirmed virus??? A relative?? A third cousins neighbors arborist???
No.

I don't even know anyone who knows anyone who is sick. In fact, people like my 76 year old mom who usually get laid low every year with a flu bug are peachy keen. She marveled just yesterday that this is the first winter she hasn't gotten sick.

I don't even know anyone who knows anyone who is sick. In fact, people like my 76 year old mom who usually get laid low every year with a flu bug are peachy keen. She marveled just yesterday that this is the first winter she hasn't gotten sick.
You know me, itsbob and Bann or are you only going by immediate family/friend circle?

herb749

I don't mind sheltering in place. I can deal with it. If I go out, I take precautions; wipe down cart handles, etc....

But the thing that bothers me most is the tv. Shows that I like to watch, like CBS Sunday Morning right now, have nothing but COVID related articles. Even the commercials. Just saw one for a basement mold remediation company. They say you should get your crawlspace repaired so .... you can use it for storage of TP and canned food. I'm just tired of everyone insisting we have to continually be bombarded with this crap. Being informed and providing information is one thing, but this is nutz.

I'm going to work in the garage today.

If you watch network TV every commercial break contains 1 or 2 of the stay at home, we are all in this together.

Maybe because she's not been socializing like in the past years? Keeping distance?
That's what I was thinking too. If you take precautions and nothing happens you have no proof it was actually the result of the precautions. Like using a condom.

GregV814

i think Ill social distance from further commentary..... like Abe Simpson, there are some clouds that i need to give a "what-fer"..

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
8 days of not being able to catch your breath because your lungs are covered in goop. No treatment yet to help fix it. Only your body's immune system to fight it off. That is why this is scarier than the flu. Can't take a full breath. That is frightening to me.

And yet that sort of thing happens to people all the time before coronavirus made the hit parade. Monello has been hospitalized twice in the last year for breathing difficulty and is negative for coronavirus.

All medical ailments are frightening, but you don't see the country shutting down and the villagers huddling in their homes because they're afraid of cancer, or heart disease, or asthma, or diabetes.

1 million people every year seek medical treatment for pneumonia, yet we haven't freaked out and started burning the chit down over that.

Statistically, this cvirus is a lamer. You all are freaked out because the media is telling you to freak out.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You know me, itsbob and Bann or are you only going by immediate family/friend circle?

Sick. None of you are sick. None of the people you know are sick. The vast majority, according to the CDC stats, who test positive for this virus do not get sick or even show symptoms.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I've yet to figure out why folks that consider the precautions to be ridiculous see any point in telling other people who chose to take precautions how ridiculous their thinking is

I think if you want to marinate in hand sanitizer and huddle in your home, that's your right. But why force a whole country of 300 million people to do so over a virus that so far has affected roughly 1/4 of 1% of the population?