Online Dating

BernieP

Resident PIA
Let me hear your stories, good, bad or bizarre.

"It's just lunch" has been running an add that suggests that the other online sites are full of liars, fakes and thieves.
People posting false information (including pictures), women ghosting, etc.

One person I know who apparently has had dates, has related the horror stories.

SamSpade

Married 15 years to someone I met in an online dating app.
Three kids.

Admittedly - the bad stuff you hear is true. If you're smart, you avoid most of them.
You just have to spend some time looking at what you know - generally, they won't look like the pic, especially if
it's a professionally done picture. I met one woman and her online pic she admitted was about twenty years old.

And although this has been mentioned on here, before - when you meet people in PERSON, you have a screening process in place -
they smell bad, they're rude, they're stupid, they're unhygienic, they're slovenly, they're unemployed - and so on. You learn this
without trying, because you already know what you like.

BUT - you don't have the benefit of this when you date online. In many ways, it's like a blind date. So, yes, when you apply THAT metric,
the failure rate WILL go up. THAT is to be expected. Once you accept that, you'll be fine.

I am really glad I don't have to date (new people) anymore. I would hate to even try.

BOP

Met my late wife online...not a dating app. Way, way before those came out. Back in the days of Prodigy, AOL, and bulletin boards (dial-up). It was a great, 20-year relationship, and I only regret that it ended way too soon.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
OMG I have threads and threads on here about my online dating experiences. And then there's this classic:

It starts getting good right here:

Reactions: BOP

itsbob

I bowl overhand
OMG I have threads and threads on here about my online dating experiences. And then there's this classic:

It starts getting good right here:

I totally missed this thread.. and what a whopper it is..

Still curious.. what is YOUR red flag that the Gude Guy talks about!??

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

• Haha
Reactions: BOP

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Anyway, in response to the OP:

"It's just lunch" has been running an add that suggests that the other online sites are full of liars, fakes and thieves.

Real life is filled with liars, fakes, and thieves. Bars, your office, your classroom, your friend's party - liars, fakes, and thieves to spare. I haven't found online dating to be that different from picking up some guy anywhere else, except that you show up for your date and don't recognize him because he identifies online as a much younger and cuter.

BernieP

Resident PIA
BUT - you don't have the benefit of this when you date online. In many ways, it's like a blind date. So, yes, when you apply THAT metric,
the failure rate WILL go up. THAT is to be expected. Once you accept that, you'll be fine.

I am really glad I don't have to date (new people) anymore. I would hate to even try.

I read profiles and look for little things before I even look at a picture.
Education, Occupation, Smoke, Then there are the things they are interested in and how they write their "summary".
The most important part of the picture is the face, eyes and the mouth. Are they smiling, a real smile and not forced or do they have RBF.
Does the mouth match the eyes. I don't think it's a joke to say you can see the sparkle in peoples eyes.

Real big turn off is the nasal canola.

But I'm such a catch, I don't have to worry about making those choices. :sarcasm:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
After my last marriage ended, I signed up on one those on-line dating sites. Not Match.com..another one that I've forgotten the name of. Was deluged with obvious scammers...did go on one date and it was pretty much a disaster. We had zippy in common as it turned out. We had met at a restaurant and as we were parting ways in the parking lot she insisted that surely I must want to kiss her. I didn't want to..but gave it a feeble attempt. OMG..she tried to swallow my face whole. I escaped. End of story.