ONLY in Maryland....literally

CraneTaker77

They shouldn't force it upon kids, some kids just aren't interested in science. When I was in High School, I opted to take more science classes. I took enviromental, and AP Biology. Simply because the fact that it has intersted me ever since I was a little kid, that and history. And in my Enviromental Science class we learned about different habitats, and studied the Chesapeake Bay. Nothing really to heavy on Global Warming. Although we did watch Soylent Green. When I graduated you only had to have 3 credits of a science course I think. I ended up having like 5 credits in science, because I hated math! I didn't even have a math class my senior year, but I had two science classes. So they should just leave it up to the kids to decide if they want to learn more about it.

glhs837

Power with Control
You win. The Bay Restoration Fee ($30) is known as the Flush Tax.

Yep, meant to refit older sewage treatment plants, upgrade them so they release less effulent, or some such. Also payed by folks with septic tanks, even though you have no "input" into that problem. As a sop, some of it was set aside for grants to some folks with septic systems. Asked the METCOM guys if that could be used to tie a few of us Chancellors Run folks into the sewer system. Nope, as far as he knew, none of that money had been spent, said it would be like taking food away from a junkyard dog to try for it.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
there are no real specifics that I could find which is why I was curious that some people were so immediately against it.
Shouldn't THAT be a good enough reason? You don't know what is going to be in this new program yet you defend it. Is anyone else reminded of a certain Pelousy quote regarding passing the health care bill?

That was a good-length article, and as I was reading I was waiting for the meat of the subject... but it was all praise for this self-proclaimed wonderful program. Shouldn't the people know where their money is going, nonetheless what their kids will be learning?

lets see, where do we find the majority of septic systems...

again, liberals prove they are idiots.
You like to say that, but they do understand that to achieve income redistribution they have to take from those who have money and funnel it to those who do not. And they are accomplishing it. Underhanded and reprehensible, but not idiotic.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Thats why the kids are so behind in the stuff that counts like reading writing and math.

Really?

Have you ever checked MD schools' test scores? You'll find that they compare very favorably to other states. In fact, MD schools are close to the top.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Im against it because it pushes a strong agenda to embrace global warming and regulations on business. Neither one is a good thing.
I also have concerns how any official in this this state could even pretend to have knowledge about environmental issues, just look at that toilet called the bay, or look at what used to be open or forest land now covered by so many homes that there is no trace of natural setting left. These are the same idiots that will keep approving neighborhoods without any regard to the traffic jam that will follow.

In short, it would be like having Adolf Hitler design a diversity training class.

And I too have every intention of leaving this hell hole in 8 years when we can retire. Our retirement savings funds are already held by banks outside of the state to insure that the libs can devise a way to get their grubby little uneducated hands on it.

Where, if at all, was anything mentioned about teaching kids to embraceglobal warming and regulations on business. The fact is that many MD counties already have evironmental education programs in place. SMCPS is one of them. It's at Elms Beach. I've attended that program with both of my sons, multiple time over the years. There is NO political agenda being pushed. The state BoE is trying to get good programs like these to other counties that don't have them yet.

awpitt

Main Streeter
From what I've read it's just an extension of what's already being taught (in part) in science classes - just a little more in-depth.

You're right. Some folks' paranoia cause them to flip out everytime "evironemnt" and "education" are used in the same sentence.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I'm not throwing BS at you - there are no real specifics that I could find which is why I was curious that some people were so immediately against it. This has all the makings of an argument though and I have no intention of going there - hope you have a good evening and I hope I'm not bored at work tomorrow....

Because it's common practice, around here, to draw conclusions withhout having all of the facts.

awpitt

Main Streeter
You know Dixie, there are people right on this forum that have children in STEM, those kids are already being forced to go through this. So, like it or not, there are people here, some posting on this very thread that have a very good idea since they have already seen it for the last two years at least.

its not good.

What are the STEM kids being forced to go through?

bcp

In My Opinion
What are the STEM kids being forced to go through?

Environmental brainwashing.

next thing you know some whacko agenda driven teacher will be showing kids those PETA videos of the meat processing plants.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Environmental brainwashing.

next thing you know some whacko agenda driven teacher will be showing kids those PETA videos of the meat processing plants.

What "environmental brainwashing"? I'd be interested in seeing some actual facts posted here regarding this "environmental brainwashing" that you're refering to.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
It's not about the environment, it states by enacting the program the schools now become eligible for federal funding! i.e. taxpayer money!

And like everything else when the federal funds run dry, either Maryland taxpayers will be shifted the burden or teachers will be cut :cds: while the program remains on life support and liberals will be crying for federal funds to save teacher jobs! And the cycle continues...:coffee:

bcp

In My Opinion
What "environmental brainwashing"? I'd be interested in seeing some actual facts posted here regarding this "environmental brainwashing" that you're refering to.

I suggest you place your child in the STEM program and see what the environmental brainwashing relates to.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
Really?

Have you ever checked MD schools' test scores? You'll find that they compare very favorably to other states. In fact, MD schools are close to the top.

Close to the top of what? I think tennispro was referring to our ranking for math and science among developed countries vs. other states. We are the world's leading superpower and we don't even crack the top 10! Sad.

Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

awpitt

Main Streeter
I suggest you place your child in the STEM program and see what the environmental brainwashing relates to.

I know STEM kids and their parents and have never heard them make the charges you're making. So, back up your charge with some facts. Without those fact, your charge has no merrit.

bcp

In My Opinion
I know STEM kids and their parents and have never heard them make the charges you're making. So, back up your charge with some facts. Without those fact, your charge has no merrit.

My kid is in it, I do know, and honestly since I do know first hand and you obviously do not, I would pretty much not worry to any great extent if you find my FACTS having merit or not.
Put an activist liberal teacher in there and they feel as though its a free for all as far as spreading their vile lies.

bcp

In My Opinion
Close to the top of what? I think tennispro was referring to our ranking for math and science among developed countries vs. other states. We are the world's leading superpower and we don't even crack the top 10! Sad.

Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As the leader of the idiots continues to open the flood gates to the uneducated illegals, you can expect these numbers to drop even faster.
How can any institute of learning keep up with the world when half of the students have never been in a school, and don't speak the language the course is taught in.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well maybe our children will be smarter than those in office if they're taught about consequences.

I wouldn't count on that. Environmental studies are so biased and subjective that I highly doubt anything productive would come from it. Not to mention schools are graduating students who can barely read and write. It makes more sense to focus on that, rather than some silly liberal tree-hugger agenda garbage.

awpitt

Main Streeter
My kid is in it, I do know, and honestly since I do know first hand and you obviously do not, I would pretty much not worry to any great extent if you find my FACTS having merit or not.
Put an activist liberal teacher in there and they feel as though its a free for all as far as spreading their vile lies.

Again, whatever conclusions you've drawn are only your opinions. You're making a claim here and you're failing to back it up with any facts. Maybe a PDF of the syllabus of the evironemtal brainwashing class? Whether you're in favor of what's going on or against it, your first hand knowledge means nothing if you don't back up your claims with something besides your stated opionion. Heck, I could've claimed my kid is in STEM and then said they teach nothing about the evironemnt.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So what part of the curriculum should we drop to accommodate the new environmental studies?